Troy Davis interview about ISU

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
When he got inducted into the Letterwinners Hall of Fame in 07 he and Darren were at a game...not sure if it was the Iowa game that year or not

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
I'd love to see Troy get honored at a game. I was at his game against Missouri, and it's still the best I've seen live (Seneca's run might be the best play I've seen live).

I have the game on videotape.

[video=youtube;BOkEoA30DLM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOkEoA30DLM[/video]

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
He said the current coaching staff had not been in touch with him about visiting sometime. I wish they would sooner than later. He deserves to be recognized for his contributions in my view.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Everybody in the stadium knew he was getting the ball and STILL nobody could stop him :yes:

I'd like to see him get back to Ames sometime

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Wish they could bring him up for a game.

That Missouri game was when I took my official visit to ISU. That was a fun day to be around the team.

On a side note during that visit I ate lunch with Troy's mom. IIRC it was her first trip to watch him play in Ames. Being an Iowa farm kid talking with her really drove home that not everyone grew up the way I did. I think that trip was only her first or second trip ever out of Florida. They truly had a tough life.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Best line I've heard about Troy Davis was said by the Godfather John Walters, "Troy Davis was Mike Tyson in shoulder pads."

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
Guy was an incredible running back, with unreal vision..... but I also have to say, those were some awesome blockers. Very good OLines. A bunch of road graders.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
Guy was an incredible running back, with unreal vision..... but I also have to say, those were some awesome blockers. Very good OLines. A bunch of road graders.

The down field blocking was a thing of beauty on that team. Also helped that he could just run people over.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
You do feel bad for guys like him though...that "primed" in a different era. College football was different back then.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I always liked the quote that tackling TD was like trying to tackle a cube. So many times would be tacklers would knock him sideways but he would just keep motoring down the field.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I love the quote "My goal was I wanted to go to a school that hadn’t been known and make them known."
Reminds me of another future Cyclone.

Apr 19, 2006
And some how, some way, Troy stayed academically eligible.

Well the guy worked hard. Not to mention, he had to work harder because he had a learning disability as well. Is the academically eligible thing based off the way he talked? Does anybody actually know his grade point average? Everybody wants to knock him, but they never talk about his disability.

I had class after him and he was always there when I was. Now that might not be saying much because I wasn't always there, but at least I know he was putting in the effort.

He was one of ISU's greats and we make fun of him? Stay classy, my fellow Clone fans!

Reactions: ChickenWing

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
No reason whatsoever to knock the guy. He made Iowa State football relevant in my college years, he was an amazing college player. 2nd in the heisman on a lousy team is an amazing accomplishment. Would never happen now that media controls everything. Just based on that he was and is the best player to put on the uniform in my opinion.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
No reason whatsoever to knock the guy. He made Iowa State football relevant in my college years, he was an amazing college player. 2nd in the heisman on a lousy team is an amazing accomplishment. Would never happen now that media controls everything. Just based on that he was and is the best player to put on the uniform in my opinion.

If you rush for 2000 yards in consecutive season right now, you are winning the Heisman. The media is so much more broad now than it was then.