WVU's leading rusher last season to redshirt 2013

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Very interesting. Seems like there's more to the story based on Holgorsen's "we're going to leave it at that" statement.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
So Sims beat him out and they want an extra year of eligibility. That, or Holgorsen is trying to send him a message.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Playing a guy as a true freshman and then redshirting him later isn't unheard of, but it seems weird that they are announcing it now and with such abruptness.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Very interesting. Seems like there's more to the story based on Holgorsen's "we're going to leave it at that" statement.

Yes, that is like someone telling you "I'm not going to lie to you." You know they are only going to feed you half the true.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
They first thought he was transferring and still think he might. Of course the fans on their scout site think this means they are stacked. I think that WV fans are a strange breed of a mix between Iowa and ISU fans. They have much of the bravado and are pretty much gauranteeing they will prove the media wrong and be right back to the win totals they are used too. However I don't think they have all that much and was not impressed with the short clip of a scrimmage they released. I think this bravado comes from being the only big team in the state and some past good years. However they also have some of the reason and little brother syndrome from being in a week conference and looked down upon by the ACC and east coast media.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I find it funny they think the game against us is an automatic win. Their fans are a LOT like Texas Tech fans.

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
I think you are thinking of Alston. Buie only had 23 yards against us last year

WV has now lost their QB, top 3 RB's, and top 4 pass catchers from last year.

But for that Woody fumble we won that game...still makes me sick (and no, that's not a knock on Jeff Woody - it just happened at the worst possible time)

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I would put my money on a transfer. Reading between the lines it sounds like a pretty big falling out between Buie & Holgerson. Can't remember the last time I've heard of a major freshman contributor being redshirted the next year.

MntneerLegion

Dec 16, 2011
Playing a guy as a true freshman and then redshirting him later isn't unheard of, but it seems weird that they are announcing it now and with such abruptness.

It was announced when the 2 deep was announced.

Someone in this thread said we think we are stacked at running back...we are. That's not arrogance it's just fact. Running back is the one position that Holgs has praised all through the fall. I think when releasing the 2 deep he said we have 5 starters at RB.

And for the guy who said we are like Iowa, you have to consider our history and fan base. No other state in the US gets made fun of more than WV...so we have a chip on our shoulder to begin with. Add to that our relatively remarkable success since Rodriguez showed up in Morgantown and the fans latch onto that success. WVU and her fans are kind of the "nouveau riche" of college football fans...and that leads to lack of grace that comes with long term success of a program.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
From the little bit that I have seen I think RB will be your best position this year. The transfer Sims? looks to be pretty good. However, are you really only going into the season with only 8 deep Oline. I read where a freshman won the backup position for a tackle but your going to try and red-shirt him. There was also someone bragging that you were able to red-shirt a whopping 1/3 of the incoming freshman. This really reminds me of ISU teams in the past 5-10 years.

Last edited:

MntneerLegion

Dec 16, 2011
From the little bit that I have seen I think RB will be your best position this year. The transfer Sims? looks to be pretty good. However, are you really only going into the season with only 8 deep Oline. I read where a freshman won the backup position for a tackle but your going to try and red-shirt him. There was also someone bragging that you were able to red-shirt a whopping 1/3 of the incoming freshman. This really reminds me of ISU teams in the past 5-10 years.

Not sure if joking. We are deeper this year than we have been in several years with the exception of outside receiver...this was stated by Holgs during one of his press conferences. During the Bill Stewart (RIP) era I believe there were years we didn't use all our schollies.

As for 8 guys who can play on the O line, Holgs has also said that he thinks this is the toughest position to build depth at and that it is also the hardest position to come in and play as a frosh...most guys just don't have the college build or strength to play as a frosh.