Tuftee To Grayshirt

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
In an interview in Thursday's QC Times Ethan Tuftee stated that he will be attending Scott Community College for the fall semester and then enroll at Iowa State as a grayshirt for the spring semester. He is currently rehabbing a knee injury.

Also saw that Pleasant Valley QB Brett Bueker will be attending ISU as a walk on.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
In an interview in Thursday's QC Times Ethan Tuftee stated that he will be attending Scott Community College for the fall semester and then enroll at Iowa State as a grayshirt for the spring semester. He is currently rehabbing a knee injury.

Also saw that Pleasant Valley QB Brett Bueker will be attending ISU as a walk on.

Given the rehab, this sounds like a good decision for both Tuftee and the program. It also frees up a spot if the staff is still working on someone.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
Grayshirts enroll for less than the "full time status" course load. At ISU, they enroll in 11 or fewer credits. This way they can take classes while also getting into the weightroom and being with the team but not counting against their eligibility. The "5 years to play 4" clock doesn't start until an athlete is enrolled full time.

I believe Kurtis Taylor was also a grayshirt to bulk up in the weightroom. It also gives athletes a chance to acclimate to college course loads if academics are a concern.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I forget, do they go on scholarship 2nd semester, or do they have to pay their own way all year of the gray shirt year? I know they just cant do certain things 1st semester, since the season is going on.

Im sooo happy i went to Iowa State and didnt end up at Scott CC. Scott makes DMACC look like Harvard.

BD4CY

Sep 22, 2007
I think Schmelling grayshirted as well... They pay their own way for the whole year

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Grayshirts enroll for less than the "full time status" course load. At ISU, they enroll in 11 or fewer credits. This way they can take classes while also getting into the weightroom and being with the team but not counting against their eligibility. The "5 years to play 4" clock doesn't start until an athlete is enrolled full time.

I believe Kurtis Taylor was also a grayshirt to bulk up in the weightroom. It also gives athletes a chance to acclimate to college course loads if academics are a concern.

Are you sure about that?

I thought it was when they came to ISU just like any freshman but couldn't practice or do anything with the team but lift weights. They do not get a scholarship the first year but the first year doesn't count against them. Its a way to get kids on campus, if all the spots are taken up. If he does greyshirt he really will be a part of the class of 09.

Last edited:

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
They can use the weightroom I believe....you're right, they don't practice or any of that, but nobody can stop them from hanging out with the guys, building team chemistry off the field, etc. Essentially they're restricted from official "team functions". They pay their own way and it doesn't count against their eligibility.

CYCLONE STATE

Dec 8, 2007
Clive

What kind of knee injury does he have?

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think Schmelling grayshirted as well... They pay their own way for the whole year

I think they can be on scholarship spring semester since that is technically the start of the new football season and fall was the end of the preceding one. Usually is how it works for the grayshirts.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

Grayshirts actually can enroll full time at the semester and be put on full scholarship at that point. They can then participate in a spring practice before they start in the fall. When they report in the fall, they still have 5 to play 4 so they can redshirt if they wish to.

iowast_nate

Jan 22, 2008
Davenport
Given the rehab, this sounds like a good decision for both Tuftee and the program. It also frees up a spot if the staff is still working on someone.

More from the Quad-City Times

Almost five months after an ACL injury ended his senior football season, Ethan Tuftee still is recovering.

That didn’t prevent the Davenport Assumption offensive lineman from sealing his commitment to play for Iowa State on Wednesday.

The 6-foot-3, 285-pound Tuftee sent in his national letter of intent to the Cyclones on Wednesday morning.

“It’s one more thing I don’t have to do,†he said.

What Tuftee does have on his agenda is plenty more physical therapy to rehabilitate his knee. He suffered the injury three games into the football season last September, and Tuftee has only recently begun jogging and jumping again.

“Every day is pretty much something new,†he said. “I wish I could just play right now.â€

He won’t play next fall, either, instead he’ll attend Scott Community College for a semester as an Iowa State grayshirt freshman.

Tuftee will join the Cyclones for the spring semester.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
He won’t play next fall, either, instead he’ll attend Scott Community College for a semester as an Iowa State grayshirt freshman.

Tuftee will join the Cyclones for the spring semester.

Why do I get the impression that Scott probably doesn't have quite as good a weight room as the Jacobsen Building?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron