Men's basketball recruits '09

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Scout has a list of 7 or 8 guys via free info that we are recruit's next year.
We have apparently offered Givon Crump, but does anybody know of any info about any of the recruits. I heard that Rodney Williams really like our program, and so does Royce White. does anyone know anything about next year recruiting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:biggrin:

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
it looks like rodney williams and royce white are studs, dont know why we havent offered williams though. personally i really like givon crump... hes a bigger guy who can really shoot it sounds like, and thats what we need is 3 point shooting. we need to get after a center though, because really in 2010 all our top guys are combo forward, same with the top prospects for us in 09... and our best players on the team right now rashon and wes

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota
We've go an uphill battle to get either Rodney or Royce. Both are being pushed extremely hard by Tubby Smith and the U of Minnesota, and the U of M considers these two their #1 and #2 priority for 2009. I've seen Royce play twice, and Tubby has been there both times. A friend of mine went and saw Rodney's team play two weeks ago, and said Tubby was there also.

Also, i've been told that both Royce and Rodney have offers from ISU.

A year ago, i heard from a Howard Pulley insider that they were committed to playing for the same program. Lately, though, that seems to have been discounted. Don't know if they're falling away from each other or what.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Pretty sure we're looking at Xavier Thames from Cali as well. I know Jeremy isn't big on the recruiting stuff and I'm getting less into it as time goes on, but does anybody have something of a list? I mean besides what's on scout - god knows the last time that database was updated.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Givon Crump and Royce White have been offered I know. The staff seems to be looking at several very good players for 09, and they're all at least three stars.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
What is the deal with Sedrick Johnson? Do we have to count him in or what for next year? Does he play a 3? Has GMAC even addressed this?
I don't even see him listed under the Basketball database.

If we have to count Sedrick Johnson then that could mean we might not have anough scholly left. Right?

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
What is the deal with Sedrick Johnson? Do we have to count him in or what for next year? Does he play a 3? Has GMAC even addressed this?

If we have to count Sedrick Johnson then that could mean we might not have anough scholly left. Right?
why the would we need to give a scholly to him for basketball when he already has one for football???? of course he'll be walk on in basketball... i see him as either a 2 or 3, he can shoot okay from 3, but its really all about athleticism for sedrick. kid got hops..

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
why the would we need to give a scholly to him for basketball when he already has one for football???? of course he'll be walk on in basketball... i see him as either a 2 or 3, he can shoot okay from 3, but its really all about athleticism for sedrick. kid got hops..

I thought someone stated earlier that there was some rule that said we had to count him as a used scholly. I guess not. Probably could be one of our best walk ons in awhile.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA

Surely they wouldn't take two scholarships, 1 football & 1 basketball, if Sed-J played both. That would be asinine! - Wait, who are 'they'? The NCAA? And we are ISU. Maybe we should rethink this.

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota
Surely they wouldn't take two scholarships, 1 football & 1 basketball, if Sed-J played both. That would be asinine! - Wait, who are 'they'? The NCAA? And we are ISU. Maybe we should rethink this.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong (looked for the rule but couldn't find it), but i'm pretty certain that...

By NCAA rule, if a player plays both football and basketball, and is under scholarship, he must have a football scholarship. Something to do with giving extra football scholarships, and hiding them on the basketball team.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Someone correct me if i'm wrong (looked for the rule but couldn't find it), but i'm pretty certain that...

By NCAA rule, if a player plays both football and basketball, and is under scholarship, he must have a football scholarship. Something to do with giving extra football scholarships, and hiding them on the basketball team.

Sounds right.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa

I don't know anything here, but it just sounds like it would be the other way around. For example, you wouldn't have a 350 pound lineman (AA aside) in uniform on the MBB sidelines, but could easy put any MBB player on the sidelines and call them a legit third string kicker, WR, or DB.

Also, you have fewer MBB scholarships, thus less likely to abuse. You would think if this is the case where you could use FB scholarships and have then as MBB walk-ons, anytime Duke, KU, or UNC would need any extra MBB scholarships they would just load up the football team.

We had a guy that I think played TE for us that also played one year of MBB about 6-7 years ago. What was that arrangement?

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
Back when Andy Strensrud was playing both it was stated he had to count against basketball. I would think that rule is still in place

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota
My mind is fuzzy, but there is a rule on how this is done. We need IsuFan22 to step in and set us straight.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
The rule is now that it goes to the bigger sport. RJ Sumrall and Derron Montgomery are/were on Football scholarships, not track scholarships.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
The counter applies to football above all other sports including basketball. With a multi-sport athlete in basketball and any sport other than football, the counter goes against basketball.

From NCAA regs :

15.5.8 Multi-Sport Participants.
15.5.8.1 Football. [FBS/FCS] In football, a counter who was recruited and/or offered financial aid to par-
ticipate in football and who participates (practices or competes) in football and one or more sports (including
basketball) shall be counted in football. A counter who was not recruited and/or offered financial aid to partici-
pate in football and who competes in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in
football. (Revised: 1/10/95 effective 8/1/95,1/9/96 effective 8/1/96)
15.5.8.1.1 Initial Counter. [FBS/FCS] A counter who previously has not been counted in football shall
be considered an initial counter even though the student-athlete already has received countable financial aid
in another sport.
15.5.8.1.2 Championship Subdivision Football Exception. [FCS] A counter who practices or
competes in football at a football championship subdivision institution that elects to use the football coun-
ter and initial-counter exception set forth in Bylaw 15.5.5.2.1 and who practices or competes in another
sport and receives countable financial aid in another sport shall be counted in the institution’s financial aid
limitations in the other sport. (Adopted: 1/10/95, Revised: 12/15/06)
15.5.8.2 Basketball. A counter who practices or competes in basketball and one or more other sports (other
than football) shall be counted in basketball.
15.5.8.3 Ice Hockey. A counter who practices or competes in men’s ice hockey and one or more other sports
(other than football or basketball) shall be counted in men’s ice hockey. (Adopted: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93)
15.5.8.4 Swimming and Diving/Water Polo, Men’s. A counter who practices or competes in both men’s
swimming and diving and men’s water polo at a member institution shall be counted in men’s swimming and
diving, unless he counts in football or basketball.
15.5.8.5 Volleyball, Women’s. A counter who practices or competes in women’s volleyball and one or more
other sports (other than basketball) shall be counted in women’s volleyball.
15.5.8.6 Two-Year Exception. If an individual has participated in a sport other than basketball, field hockey
or women’s volleyball for two years or more since the individual’s initial collegiate enrollment and would be in-
volved only in basketball, field hockey or women’s volleyball practice sessions, such a student would not become
a counter in those sports until the student actually competes as a member of that institution’s intercollegiate
team, at either the varsity or junior varsity level. (Revised: 1/10/95 effective 8/1/95, 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96)
15.5.8.7 Other Sports. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a counter who participates in two or
more sports shall be counted in one of the sports but shall not be counted in the others.
15.5.8.7.1 Requirement to Qualify as Multiple-Sport Athlete. To be considered a multiple-sport
athlete under this section, an individual must meet all of the following requirements:
(a) The individual shall report and participate fully in regularly organized practice with each squad;
(b) The individual shall participate where qualified in actual competition in each sport;
(c) The individual shall be a member of each squad for the entire playing and practice season; and
(d) If a recruited student-athlete, the individual shall have been earnestly recruited to participate in the
sport in which financial aid is counted (the institution recruiting the student-athlete shall have a rea-
sonable basis to believe that the student-athlete is capable of participating in the institution’s varsity
intercollegiate program in that sport, including documentation of a record of previous participation
in organized competition in the sport that supports the student-athlete’s potential to participate in
that sport in varsity intercollegiate competition.)
15.5.9 Changes in Participation. If a student-athlete changes sports during an academic year, the stu-
dent-athlete’s financial aid shall be counted in the maximum limitations for the first sport for the remainder of the
academic year. If the student-athlete continues to receive financial aid, the award shall be counted the next aca-
demic year against the maximum limitations in the second sport. A student-athlete shall be counted as an initial
counter in football during the year in which the student-athlete first becomes countable in that sport, regardless of
whether countable financial aid was received previously for another sport. (Revised: 4/3/02)
15.5.10 Squad list.
15.5.10.1 Eligibility Requirement. To be eligible to represent an institution in intercollegiate athletics
competition, a student-athlete shall be included on the institution’s squad-list form.
15.5.10.2 Squad-List Form. The member institution’s athletics director shall compile a list, on a form ap-
proved by the Management Council, of the squad members in each sport on the first day of competition and
shall indicate thereon the status of each member in the categories listed (see Bylaw 30.13).

clone11

Jul 12, 2006
I highly, highly doubt he plays both. If we were to go to a bowl next year, he would be joing the basketball team, his freshman year, at the beginning of Big 12 play. Even if we didn't, he would miss a month of practice, and would then risk injury trying to fit in somewhere on the basketball team. Also, has anyone heard Coach Chiz say that he likes this idea? Fooball players and basketball players have way to much overlapping going on throughout the entire year. I hope I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt he ever plays a game in Hilton.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron