NFL: Predictions on NFC North this year??

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
What's everyone's predictions this year based on newly signed/drafted players, returning, injuries, depth, schedules, etc.?? Last year Vikings made it interesting. Think Peterson will go over 2,000 yards again? Think the lions will make anything happen with all that talent? Will Packers actually have a running game?? Bears new coach make noise?

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
I'm excited to see if the Bears new offense can produce. If I was to learn from history I would say the defense will score more than the offense.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Packers
Bears
Vikings
Lions

Close between Packers, Vikings and Bears, and both Vikings and Bears will be competing for wild card spots.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
The NFC as a whole should be unreal.

The North and South teams all have potential at being over .500. Sea and SF in the West are great, STL is on the rise. The NFC East with their 4 teams all being average to above average IMO.

I feel like you typically don't see such a difference between the AFC and NFC.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
The Packers will, once again, have the best offense in the North. What remains to be seen is if the defense will be worth a toss.

I'm not insanely confident on that side of the ball.

The way I see it, though, is that none of the teams in the North have significantly improved on the defensive side of the ball, so the "who will be the best" question comes down to if the rest of the North have caught up, offensively, to the Pack.

I really hope the Lions click. They've got so much just on the cusp of being good, and while I'm a Packers fan, I have watched them be horrible for so many years that I'd like to see it finally fall into place for them.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
Vikings fan here..I'll try and be as objective as possible and give my predictions about what is easily the best division in football:

1) Packers - 12-4 - When you have the best quarterback on the planet you're going to win football games. IMO the only way the Pack don't win this division is if Rodgers gets hurt. Offensive line is terrible but I think it's overblown. Elite QB's can mask big time deficiencies on offense. The defense has been awful, but there's a pretty decent amount of talent there. Shields/Heyward is a very good cornerback duo, and if they can get any kind of consistent pass rush across from Matthews the D will be much, much better.

2) Vikings - 10-6 - I think it's fairly obvious to everybody that this season depends entirely on Ponder developing into an adequate NFL starting QB. He has a good supporting cast around him. Rudolph could be a top 5 tight end IMO, and Jennings, Patterson, Wright, Simpson could be a decent group of receivers depending on how well Patterson grasps the offense. Peterson is Peterson obviously. I really think the defense could be a top 10 unit in the league this year. Cook and Rhodes could potentially be a very good cornerback combo, and Harrison Smith is going to emerge as a star this year. The D-Line is solid as always, although I would love to see Everson Griffen get more snaps as I think he could be a Pro Bowl type player if given the opportunity.

3) Lions - 8-8 - I really like the Reggie Bush addition to the offense, and I think he'll catch around 70-80 passes this year. He probably won't help out the run game too much however, and you can only be so one-dimensional without really suffering. Obviously the passing game is going to be very good with Megatron, but Stafford could benefit from looking elsewhere occasionally. Bush and Ryan Broyles (if healthy) I think will really help there. The D-Line has the potential to be scary if Suh and Fairley don't get suspended/flagged 35 times per game. This team is going to be in a ton of shootouts because the defensive back seven is complete garbage.

4) Bears - 7-9 - I think Bears more closely resemble the team they were in the second half of the season last year than the first half. The way their defense was playing early last year was unsustainable and fluky. The defense is not going to score as many points as they did last year, and I expect them to take a big step back this year. Having said that, they will still be a pretty good unit, because there's still a pretty good amount of talent. I think Cutler will have a good year if he doesn't get sacked as much as last year and stays healthy, which probably won't happen because J'Marcus Webb is still starting (somehow) and Jermon Bushrod is not a good LT if you look at Pro Football Focus' (which is an amazing site if you don't already read it) rankings.

All in all, a very good and competitive division. I think all 4 of these teams would be playoff teams if they played in the AFC.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
A balanced division, with either the Vikings, Bears, or Packers winning it. I think all 3 teams have a legit shot of taking the division title.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Ponder isn't good enough to get it done, and there's no way AP has a repeat year. Jay Cutler is Jay Cutler. The Lions are the Lions.

My Packers get it done, but it will still be very competitive.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
1. Packers
2. Vikings
3. Lions
4. Bears

I think the Bears really struggle with the coaching change and have a poor season and to make matters worse 6 of their games are against teams from the loaded North Division...

Last edited:

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
A balanced division, with either the Vikings, Bears, or Packers winning it. I think all 3 teams have a legit shot of taking the division title.

No.

Ponder isn't good enough to get it done, and there's no way AP has a repeat year. Jay Cutler is Jay Cutler. The Lions are the Lions.

My Packers get it done, but it will still be very competitive.

Pretty much this.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

Why? Do you think it was a fluke? AD is every bit as good as he showed last season

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Why? Do you think it was a fluke? AD is every bit as good as he showed last season
Absolutely not. I just can't see it happening two years in a row. Even if he does perform just as well, I don't think the Vikings have enough to get over the hump. It's hard to rely on just a RB in the league nowadays.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Absolutely not. I just can't see it happening two years in a row. Even if he does perform just as well, I don't think the Vikings have enough to get over the hump. It's hard to rely on just a RB in the league nowadays.

I don't disagree with the bolded (Ponder has a lot to prove), but you and Erik4Cy seem awfully dismissive of Peterson's ability when is undoubtedly the best RB in the NFL. He accomplished a lot with an even less talented team last year than he will have this year.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I predict the fans of each team all hate each other because each fan base is arrogant in their own way.

Should be some good football though.

I'll take:
1 Packers
2 Bears
3 Vikings
4 Lions

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I don't disagree with the bolded (Ponder has a lot to prove), but you and Erik4Cy seem awfully dismissive of Peterson's ability when is undoubtedly the best RB in the NFL. He accomplished a lot with an even less talented team last year than he will have this year.
I'm not being dismissive, I'm being realistic. He nearly broke Dickerson's record. That's an out of this world, season long performance. I don't think it's that crazy to think it won't happen again.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
X-Factors (IMO) for each team:

Packers: Eddie Lacy - Somebody has to step up and give the Pack a running game. Aaron Rodgers' arm can't last all season.

Vikings: Christian Ponder - He how has some WR weapons, but will he be able to settle down and overcome his (so far) sloppy preseason?

Bears: Mark Trestman - Will a new, offensively-minded coach work to their advantage, or will Jay Cutler cry to mommy again?

Lions: Offensive Talent - It's all there, but can it stay healthy?

MY PREDICTIONS
Packers: 12-4
Vikings: 9-7
Bears: 8-8
Lions: 8-8

MY "THE VIKING FAN THAT I AM" PREDICTIONS
Vikings: 16-0
blah blah blah...
Packers: 0-16
:jimlad:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Huge Vikings fan here. But until somebody proves otherwise, the Packers are the best team in the North, and it really kills me to say that. 2nd through 4th are all up for grabs, but Green Bay is the top dog. That said, I hope Rodgers sets the record for sacks taken by a qb, and the defense is the bottom of the league.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008

the NFL was founded in 1920. That's 94 years this season. And even though we didn't keep rushing statistics until 1932, Beatie Feathers 1004 yards in 1934 was considered untouchable for a decade following. In that time, seven players have had 2000 yard rushing seasons (with the AFL giving us zero).

Over the history of the NFL (since 1932), the leading rusher has averaged 1350 yards, with the 20 year average being 1772. The 10 year average is 1802. Not a single time in NFL history has someone rushed for 2000+ yards two seasons in their career. In the last 20 years, we've only had 3 players repeat as the NFL's leading rusher in consecutive years. Adrian Peterson has a career rushing average of 1475 (1576 if you eliminate his injury season the year before last). Ignoring his injured season, Adrain Peterson's rushing average before last year was 1446.

So, the numbers point to several things. 1) 2000 yard rushing seasons are not regular. Only 8% of NFL seasons produce 2000 yard rushers. 2) 2000 yard rushing seasons are not repeatable. No one has gotten two in their career. 3) Adrian Peterson rushing for 2000 yards was a drastic increase in his rushing output based on history. His 2097 yards last season was 45% higher than his previous non-injured season output average.

So, to answer your question as to why we think it was a fluke? Math, maybe?

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
People really watched that QB play in that vikings game and think that's an above 500 team?