Tailgating 101: Must have essentials

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
With the season less than two weeks away, I'm getting very excited for tailgating and football! Iowa State knows how to tailgate and I like to think I've learned quite a bit from the Iowa State faithful the last few seasons on how to really put on tailgate, but a tailgate can always get better!

My must have essentials for tailgate

1.) Beer, lots of it. I usually get a case of something cheap like budlight and bring a case of some nicer beers. Usually do some sort of mixed drink too like Captain and Coke

2.) Food. I always, always grill up brats no matter what and do other things like ribs, steaks, chili, etc. Definitely looking to expand this area this year as I have an upgraded grill to bring around.

3.) Games. Bags and a football, along with flippy cup/beer pong if a table is available.

4.) Music. A good mix of country, old rock, current stuff.

So what are your essential tailgate necessities for every home game? I'd love to know because I'm always looking to do a bigger and better tailgate each week!

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Here are ours:

1. Agree, lots and lots of adult beverages. It is not a good thing if you run out. The worst that can happen is you have to bring a few home with you.

2. As far as food goes we usually have some type of grilled food. We camp all weekend, so Saturday mornings always consists of Casey's breakfast pizzas. Then from there it just matters when the games are to when we eat. This year for the Iowa game we are going to put out crock pots of pulled pork or taverns/maid rites for afternoon and early evening snacking. To many of #1's are consumed to be able to grill successfully without burning anything.

3. Games. Bags, Washers, Ladder Golf, Football and Beer Pong. We are thinking about doing the whole nail in the log thing, so if someone can explain that we might give it a whirl.

4. Music - Almost the same exact thing as yours.

A good thing that we do every year is make a tailgating list. Once the list is completed we laminate it and then high light the stuff that we have packed to make sure we grab everything. We learned the hard way when we showed up to tailgate without a grill.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Naturally you've got the basics down, beer, food, games. Every tailgate no matter how elaborate needs those. You can certainly go more elaborate (generator, tvs, satellite, serving tables, etc) but every tailgate needs the basics.

To 'must have' i might add at least one tailgate tent with sides\tie downs for dealing with weather, whether it be rainy or windy, or even just for a bit of shade.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Naturally you've got the basics down, beer, food, games. Every tailgate no matter how elaborate needs those. You can certainly go more elaborate (generator, tvs, satellite, serving tables, etc) but every tailgate needs the basics.

To 'must have' i might add at least one tailgate tent with sides\tie downs for dealing with weather, whether it be rainy or windy, or even just for a bit of shade.

I really need to invest in some sides for our tailgating tent this year. Most of the last few seasons have been fine, but WVU was BRUTAL. We basically collapsed the legs and huddled underneath the canopy right on the ground. Of course, I'm not sure the side tarps would have done much good in that weather anyway.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa

Please insert quiet before generator

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I really need to invest in some sides for our tailgating tent this year. Most of the last few seasons have been fine, but WVU was BRUTAL. We basically collapsed the legs and huddled underneath the canopy right on the ground. Of course, I'm not sure the side tarps would have done much good in that weather anyway.

And this adds another thing i forgot about. For cold games one or two of those heaters that attach to a propane tank can make your experience miles better.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
An overlooked essential: Someone in your group who is willing to get there early and claim a good spot.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
And this adds another thing i forgot about. For cold games one or two of those heaters that attach to a propane tank can make your experience miles better.

Yea, we were all huddled around this little propane burner that we were cooking chili on. Definitely would have been nice to have another heater.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
We are tailgating lightweights and this year probably won't (no longer have our parking pass we used to get with someone else's tickets). A couple years ago I made a dedicated tailgating tote. Buy one whatever size you need for your tailgate, but we had lighter for grill, knives and small cutting board, tongs, pot holders, plastic silverware, wet ones, napkins, roll of paper towels, koozies, bottle opener, extra trash bags, etc. It keeps all this stuff in one place so it is easy to grab. I also had a cardboard 6-pack that held silverware, ketchup, mustard, the wet wipes to set on our table.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north

They seem to cut the wind pretty well, but you need to make sure that it is tied down well or you run the risk of it flying into the air or bending the hell out of the frame.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I purchased a heater a couple years ago that hooks up to a propane tank. The tent thing is a must. I have 3 (a 9x18 and 2 9x9's) and they are all worth it.

The one good thing about camping is you can choose your spot the night before, and can watch others waiting in line while our tailgate is set up. Sorry in advance for any animosity for that comment.

EDIT: If I can add anything to you tailgate tent tie downs I would highly recommend getting 4 of the dog leash screw stakes, 4 springs and ratchet straps. This may seem crazy, but I watched a tent get caught by the wind and break the structure due to someone tying it down to something concrete and it had to give somewhere. The springs will allow it to give a little bit.

Last edited:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I love walking to the tailgating lots and seeing a sea of cardinal and gold tents, flags, people as far as the eye can see.
Best tailgate scene in the midwest, by far.

cypher

Jan 21, 2012
NW Iowa
We just got a class c motorhome, can we park in the lots that don't need a pass. if so how much, and can you park there overnight?

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
A good pair of sunglasses. Even on a gloomy day you need to scout out and create your own fantasy team with all of the talent in the lots.

/thread