Who are the richest donors/possible donors for ISU

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Just curious, my friends and I were talking about the SEZ and wondering who could finance it. I was curious as to who are some of the more well off ISU alums and what do they do.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
You know, the poster who mentioned tuition.....got me thinking...some of you students should get on GSB. Similar to things like Lied Rec, the Health Center, etc, student fees have been used to pay for capitol projects.

Now, as JP said on KXNO, the SEZ would have to be more than just seats...if it were seen as a true entry to campus, I think GSB could used to support it. There could be a welcome center in there used for non-game days, etc.

Think about it. $5 a semester, per student, for say 15 years really would add up. :)

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
Becker & Underwood sold to a private equity firm almost 10 years before the BASF deal. I would guess B & U still had stock, but I am sure it wasn't a $1 billion deal for them personally.

Also, many people don't realize that the publicized $1 billion acquisition of Albaugh's company didn't go through a few years ago. I would think he is doing quite well financially, but cutting a multi-million dollar check to the ISU athletic department might not be something he is interested in doing.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
Christina Hixson. That wonderful lady (my benefactor for my undergrad scholarship) owns a nice slice of the Las Vegas strip. She's also contributed in the past to the UNLV athletics dept., along with various donations to ISU.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Becker & Underwood sold to a private equity firm almost 10 years before the BASF deal. I would guess B & U still had stock, but I am sure it wasn't a $1 billion deal for them personally.

Also, many people don't realize that the publicized $1 billion acquisition of Albaugh's company didn't go through a few years ago. I would think he is doing quite well financially, but cutting a multi-million dollar check to the ISU athletic department might not be something he is interested in doing.
You generally don't just cut a check for the amount...you pledge it over 20 years or something.

And I could be wrong but I think that transaction was going to be in the $5B+ range...

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
You generally don't just cut a check for the amount...you pledge it over 20 years or something.

And I could be wrong but I think that transaction was going to be in the $5B+ range...

Apparently it was a 1.3 billion dollar deal because of a a weakening price on the market. Albaugh filed a complaint with the US Government against China for dumping a ton of product on the US market which dropped the price of Albaugh's product from $30 a gallon to $12 a gallon.

China is the reason the SEZ hasn't been funded yet. Bastards!

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Apparently it was a 1.3 billion dollar deal because of a a weakening price on the market. Albaugh filed a complaint with the US Government against China for dumping a ton of product on the US market which dropped the price of Albaugh's product from $30 a gallon to $12 a gallon.

China is the reason the SEZ hasn't been funded yet. Bastards!
$1.3B? Chump change.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Not that it matters a bit, but Warren Buffet- 4th richest man in the world in 2013- worth $53.5B- graduate of the University of Nebraska and their athletic department cant squeeze a dime out of him. He is quite the philanthropist in many other areas but not to his alma mater's athletic department. So don't feel bad if our richest alums don't pony up the funds to get this done.