Monday Musings: Week one camp observations

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
I don’t know if it’s just me or the fact that we are being fed a big glass of kool-aid by the media (not really CW but the DM Reg crew) but I feel more at ease about this defense than I did a few weeks ago.

If Burnham is talking positively about Jensen and how he compared to JMac that’s good. Coe seems to have loads of potential (unrealized I know but having potential upside is better than knowing he can play his best and still just be average or worse).
If Irving is beaten out by Morrissey then CM has stepped up his game to supplant a starter from last year. I hope Scott’s legal issues don’t keep him out or its only for a few games if he is out. This unit could end up being just as good or better than last year if all of the pieces come together. I mean imagine if Irving and Coe both click like CW mentions, ISU could have a pass rush (like a real one) for the first time in a long time.

Couple all of this with the positive talk about the OL and the offense in general and it just seems that the floor of this team seems to be rising.

I don’t expect them to contend for the league but I still think 6 wins is very reasonable and 7 or even 8 is not completely out of the question.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Surprised to hear about Campos, I thought he was too soft to ever amount to anything.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Surprised to hear about Campos, I thought he was too soft to ever amount to anything.

I'll be honest. I thought it would be awhile before we heard much about him but I've now heard a few different things that make me think he will compete for a starting job next year. I thought it would take longer for his weight to get where it needed to be mainly.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Some real nuggets this time, CW!

I'm not going to catch them all, but...
But looking ahead, a 2014 receiving group of Bundrage, Daley and Allen Lazard could be scary-good...
Score one, right here...is Daley even eighteen yet?
Regarding the starting combination for Aug. 31, I’m high on Brock Dagel but think it will be best for the team if Jacob Gannon can play tackle.
Been wondering that myself. A lot revolves around that left guard slot, and is Brock ready for pass protection? I guess he can show us this season. :biggrin:

…Say that even though he will not play as a true freshman, Jake Campos has made his mark on the offensive line. He’ll be a good one with a chance to be a four-year starter at tackle.
For some reason (perhaps because I'm a Vikings fan), I keep seeing a young Matt Kalil--and he played for USC at 6'7" 285.

--- Just imagine how good that defensive line could potentially be if Coe and David Irving both clicked this season…
I've been thinking that one for a while, too. That would make for a lot of exclamation points! :yes:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I'll be honest. I thought it would be awhile before we heard much about him but I've now heard a few different things that make me think he will compete for a starting job next year. I thought it would take longer for his weight to get where it needed to be mainly.

I hope my sarcasm was sensed. Hawk fans were calling him soft after he committed here. The picture of him in one of the photo albums was impressive. He looks massive already.

TyClone

Aug 11, 2011
Clarion, IA
Good stuff CW. I thoroughly enjoy reading Monday Musings; however I wish the link would be user-friendly for mobile phones. It's kinda hard to read from the full site.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I hope my sarcasm was sensed. Hawk fans were calling him soft after he committed here. The picture of him in one of the photo albums was impressive. He looks massive already.

Yeah, it was and I was going to note that I knew you were joking but forgot. Usually you just don't hear much about freshmen Olinemen when we actually have other bodies there. I mean, Burton is pushing for a spot and we didn't hear anything about him.