BLOG: Where this confidence comes from regarding the defensive line

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Chris, just wanted to say thanks for the dynamite articles coming out of camp. It's great insight into the team at this stage of camp and where the coach expect to see them go from here.

Thanks for putting in the time to keep us nonsensical, raving lunatics informed, great stuff!

CyBri

Mar 2, 2012
I've heard everything that I need to. I would like to order a large Kool Aide please.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Chris, just wanted to say thanks for the dynamite articles coming out of camp. It's great insight into the team at this stage of camp and where the coach expect to see them go from here.

Thanks for putting in the time to keep us nonsensical, raving lunatics informed, great stuff!

You "nonsensical, raving lunatics" are the reason I have a job. Anything for the fanatics!

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
How many handoffs will Rodney Coe steal from a QB/RB exchange this season?

Will they be recorded as fumble recoveries or interceptions?

Follow up question: How many yards will he gain from those steals?

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
As others have said, thanks Chris for the articles and updates. So far, they have been just enough football info to satisfy (just barely).

As to the defensive line, I think it is a microcosm for the entire program and it is the last piece of the puzzle taking shape. Talent upgrades were shown more across the other positions, and beings we are not UT, OU, or other similar programs, our DL must be developed. While some we will count on this year to play are Freshmen, they are Red-shirt Freshmen. Hopefully the days of starting true freshmen, even if they are a Nick Leaders, Brent Curvey, or Nate Frere, are over. Next, those just mentioned usually were on a D-line that had little depth. So, if they or one of their teammates was nicked up or injured, usually an undersized DE was moved inside as we did not have a 'capable' or readied substitute for that position (see Patrick Neal). No offense to Neal - he was a warrior & true Cyclone. However, we are a better team if we have the athletes more ready for the position playing for us every snap.

Players like Cousins (a late add to our recruiting class that year - believe he changed from Southern Miss due to coaching change or something like that, also had offers from Kansas, Vandy, Ohio, & other non-BCS schools) Aka, Krick, & Meyers (latter a DE) being called on to contribute is not a bad thing, in particular given the comments being made by Shane Burnham. Combine that with the statement so far on Coe, and it looks like there are good reasons to be optimistic, and not in a crazy, kool-aid manner.

Even more exciting to me was after watching the video on newcomers, and Vernell Trent stating he had already gained 20 lbs since being in Ames (recruit lists show him as at 255 lbs). Robert Garcia came to us late last year switching from South Florida to the good guys, a lot like Cousins came to us before. Looking forward to adding some more to our DL in the 2014 class.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines

Think he'll challenge Big Play Curvey for TDs? Might have to start calling him Steal the Show Coe?

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006

Put him in as a fullback for Woody. Nice short yardage package there.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Starting to be less worried much less about DL than LB. Cousins, Aka, Coe could be pretty damn good. If Irving gets mean, we know Willie has a burst. I think a lot of our DTs are athletic enough to playoutside, maybe certain downs against Iowa.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Starting to be less worried much less about DL than LB. Cousins, Aka, Coe could be pretty damn good. If Irving gets mean, we know Willie has a burst. I think a lot of our DTs are athletic enough to playoutside, maybe certain downs against Iowa.
Linebacker? The only spot on defense I'm worried about, is that open corner slot...