Need someone with photoshop....

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
... to take the colors of the throwback uniforms and put them on our current uniforms.

I absolutely love the throwbacks and wish we could just stick with them, but I know that will never happen. But the next best scenario IMO, is to at least make our "gold" really gold like in the throwbacks, and make our cardinal more like the cardinal in the throwbacks as well.

I cannot stand yellow. Yellow is NOT gold. It would look sweet to make this change, and then we wouldn't look like we totally copied USC either. Oh.... and also stick a gold stripe down the middle of the helmet too. Then they would be perfect.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
... to take the colors of the throwback uniforms and put them on our current uniforms.

I absolutely love the throwbacks and wish we could just stick with them, but I know that will never happen. But the next best scenario IMO, is to at least make our "gold" really gold like in the throwbacks, and make our cardinal more like the cardinal in the throwbacks as well.

I cannot stand yellow. Yellow is NOT gold. It would look sweet to make this change, and then we wouldn't look like we totally copied USC either. Oh.... and also stick a gold stripe down the middle of the helmet too. Then they would be perfect.

Seconded!! Love that JT gold!!!!

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.

Agree. If we can't keep the throwbacks as a permanent change (even with some possible minor modifications) - then I'd like to see us go with the real gold as well. The cheer squds the past year or two have had real gold as part of their uniform. Not sure it was all of them, but I seem to remember maybe the poms having gold accents?

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
2lj2k3t.jpg

28mjkgy.jpg

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Yeah, me, too. The real gold is tops. Let's get the real colors on the unis. After all, the SF 49ers copied our unis, correct? Why did we abandon it, I wonder? It was Johnny Majors who went to yellow gold, right?

Stapleton's boys wore gold (I saw the 1967 ISU-Iowa freshman football game, the Cyclones wore gold, not yellow. It was distinctive.) How far back does the use of gold go at ISU, anyone know?

If there was a vote (or a poll) I would mark gold over yellow without hesitation. Wonder if I'd be with the majority?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Goooo, had not seen that...yes please. I have been stating forever they should switch to the 49ers/FSUs color scheme, but I'll happily take this

It wouldn't even be full on FSU colors because their Garnet is darker than our Cardinal and the 49ers Scarlet is different than Cardinal as well.

I would love this change. Would need to be changed on the logo too though, which is probably why it wont happen. They've spent a crapload of money to plaster that logo everywhere.

Apr 19, 2006
Yeah, me, too. The real gold is tops. Let's get the real colors on the unis. After all, the SF 49ers copied our unis, correct? Why did we abandon it, I wonder? It was Johnny Majors who went to yellow gold, right?

Stapleton's boys wore gold (I saw the 1967 ISU-Iowa freshman football game, the Cyclones wore gold, not yellow. It was distinctive.) How far back does the use of gold go at ISU, anyone know?

If there was a vote (or a poll) I would mark gold over yellow without hesitation. Wonder if I'd be with the majority?
I've always liked the ol' notre dame helmet look with the walking Cy. Here is a link to the helmet history. ISU Helmet History - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports Gold was our original colors appears. I wish we would have gotten this right the first time and went cardinal and gold like the photo shopped picture. Oh well everything is getting better little by little so maybe some day.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
It wouldn't even be full on FSU colors because their Garnet is darker than our Cardinal and the 49ers Scarlet is different than Cardinal as well.

I would love this change. Would need to be changed on the logo too though, which is probably why it wont happen. They've spent a crapload of money to plaster that logo everywhere.

I personally would be fine if they switched and used the gold just for football but not necessarily for everything else. For some reason I've never been a fan of the old gold on a basketball court.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This is where the design was before we went full on USC colors:
4d32e7e5af5a43e8aefa44e6d131fc2f_newhome.png

I see that as a balance between the yellow-gold and true metallic gold ("the 49ers gold") ... if it struck that balance, I'd be all for it, applied to current standard uniform design.

ISU has gone back-and-forth on its shades of cardinal and gold during my lifetime. I prefer a "dirty-mustard" gold and cardinal that is neither too bright nor too maroon.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm not gonna lie. I would've loved to have seen Black and Silver as our school colors.

We could have black fieldturf :jimlad:

Apr 19, 2006
I see that as a balance between the yellow-gold and true metallic gold ("the 49ers gold") ... if it struck that balance, I'd be all for it, applied to current standard uniform design.

ISU has gone back-and-forth on its shades of cardinal and gold during my lifetime. I prefer a "dirty-mustard" gold and cardinal that is neither too bright nor too maroon.
So you're saying you like it "dirty"!! :shocked: I love the avatar, just a huge fan of the walking Cy. I wonder how I could purchase a helmet like that. Also, is it true our colors were originally black and silver or did I miss a sarcasm pirate? If true, I've just been edumacated!

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
So you're saying you like it "dirty"!! :shocked: I love the avatar, just a huge fan of the walking Cy. I wonder how I could purchase a helmet like that. Also, is it true our colors were originally black and silver or did I miss a sarcasm pirate? If true, I've just been edumacated!

Our colors were gold, black, and silver. One could argue we were actually black and gold before Iowa. Straight from the 1894 Iowa State College Bomb yearbook:

View attachment 21130

Edit: Purple was also frequently used for I. A. C. lettering.

Help Support Us

Become a patron