No QB quandary will make this camp less chaotic

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
To what degree is a QB controversy a creation by the coaches? It seems that they thought a QB controversy would help Jantz and Barnett to improve until one showed himself really worthy of the sole QB role, but it never happened. It also seems that we could have a QB controversy this year if the coaches handled Richardson and Rohach in a similar manner. The big difference may be that Richardson is clearly ahead of Rohach right now, but probably also that Rohach doesn't need a QB controversy to keep motivated and working to get better. Although not being presented as a contender for starting QB, I still feel good about having him as a backup at the start of this season and think he will eventually be a "surprise" contributor. It is all about how the coaches are spinning it and what they think the QBs will respond to.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I am a little worried about this in case of injury, but I guess they seem solid on who number 2 qb is too.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
To me, if the player is self driven which you need to be in order to be truly great. having all the 1st team reps is the best option. The only time this may be a negative is if he gets hurt and Grant has to step in with limited reps.

Tony

May 1, 2013
Ankeny, IA
I am a little worried about this in case of injury, but I guess they seem solid on who number 2 qb is too.

I agree, not that one can base too much on the spring game, but IMO, Richardson looked miles ahead of Rohach, I'm glad there's not a controversy and I firmly believe the entire offense needs a go-to leader, but was hoping Rohach would be a little closer on Richardson's heals.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I agree, not that one can base too much on the spring game, but IMO, Richardson looked miles ahead of Rohach, I'm glad there's not a controversy and I firmly believe the entire offense needs a go-to leader, but was hoping Rohach would be a little closer on Richardson's heals.

I think Rohach is closer than it may look. The absence of a QB controversy seems like the intention of the coaches this year.

veryphil

Feb 24, 2012
Siracusa, ITA/Ames, IA
THis is off the subject a little, but I really hope the best for Barrett. He was our guy under center for the OSU game and I'll never forget that.

Anyway, Sam looks like he's ready to do great things this year.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
THis is off the subject a little, but I really hope the best for Barrett. He was our guy under center for the OSU game and I'll never forget that.

Anyway, Sam looks like he's ready to do great things this year.

Jantz, Barnett, and Richardson have given us some great memories over the last few years.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Jantz, Barnett, and Richardson have given us some great memories over the last few years.

Jantz led us to two consecutive victories over the hoks, and Barnett led us to some great wins over ranked teams (OSU and TT and TCU). Look forward to great history with Richardson at the helm

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
This is going to pay big dividends for the team going forward this year. For Sam it has to give him confidence heading into fall camp knowing that he is the guy. He will get more reps which will only help. It also has to be a great comfort to the other skill position players heading into camp. In all reality it has to be a considerable adjustment constantly jumping back and forth between two different QB's. QB's have different styles, different personalities, different throwing motions, different cadences, put different spin on the football, throw at different velocity, The angle or loft on different throws (20 yards, 30 yards, 40 yards, etc...) will change based on the QB's arm strength, the timing of how quickly the ball will get to them changes based on velocity, etc... I am sure there are a ton of other potential differences that a WR, TE, or RB would have to adjust for between 2 different QB's.

It had to be hard enough for these guys to run their routes while trying to beat their defender and create seperation while at the same time trying to factor in the tendencies and the factors listed above for each QB. That process just got simplified for everyone and that can only mean good things.

Tony

May 1, 2013
Ankeny, IA
I think Rohach is closer than it may look. The absence of a QB controversy seems like the intention of the coaches this year.

I hope you're right, I'm only basing my opinion on the spring game, so take it with a grain of salt.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
At the Gridiron Club golf outing Yancy told everyone these two push each other, similar to Knott and Klein. He said Sam works out in the morning and Rohach in the afternoon (same as Knott and Klein) and Rohach always asks Yancy what Sam lifted so he can try and top it.

Sounds like these two get along great and are constantly pushing each other.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Considering Rohach...since we are devoid of a QB controversy right now, and hoping Sam pans out to what we need him to be this year to at least get back to a bowl (obviously a big "if"), that would likely result in leaving Rohach with only 1 clear year to grab the job. I'm not sure how talented he is, but he was one of the highlights of that recruiting class, it would be a shame not to see him get some playing time if SB and GR are close. So without a QB controversy, it is kind of a catch-22; on one hand you want SR to do well and be what this team needs to be because you don't want a QB controversy and it is much better to have a clear talented starter for years to come, but on the other, at what cost does it have on the future if you put all your eggs in one basket?

Maybe I'm just jaded from the two years of the "Jantz vs. Barnett" situation, and what it finally took to give Richardson a series at Kansas where we found out that we should have been giving him a few more snaps all along. But if you're going to the QB with more in-game experience as the starter for the next three years...hopefully without an injury, what is the tipping point for a talented QB with no in-game experience to grab some playing time and prove himself? Otherwise, could we be sitting a QB at #2 for three years that could have more ability to take things on to the next level?

I'm not writing Sam off at all...I hope he is what we want him to be and more, and I'm looking forward to seeing him lead the team this year. I guess I'm wondering how much of a QB battle we actually have on our hands (out of the media attention). How much we'll see Rohach on the field? Either case, the guy needs some actual playing time.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
Considering Rohach...since we are devoid of a QB controversy right now, and hoping Sam pans out to what we need him to be this year to at least get back to a bowl (obviously a big "if"), that would likely result in leaving Rohach with only 1 clear year to grab the job. I'm not sure how talented he is, but he was one of the highlights of that recruiting class, it would be a shame not to see him get some playing time if SB and GR are close. So without a QB controversy, it is kind of a catch-22; on one hand you want SR to do well and be what this team needs to be because you don't want a QB controversy and it is much better to have a clear talented starter for years to come, but on the other, at what cost does it have on the future if you put all your eggs in one basket?

Maybe I'm just jaded from the two years of the "Jantz vs. Barnett" situation, and what it finally took to give Richardson a series at Kansas where we found out that we should have been giving him a few more snaps all along. But if you're going to the QB with more in-game experience as the starter for the next three years...hopefully without an injury, what is the tipping point for a talented QB with no in-game experience to grab some playing time and prove himself? Otherwise, could we be sitting a QB at #2 for three years that could have more ability to take things on to the next level?

I'm not writing Sam off at all...I hope he is what we want him to be and more, and I'm looking forward to seeing him lead the team this year. I guess I'm wondering how much of a QB battle we actually have on our hands (out of the media attention). How much we'll see Rohach on the field? Either case, the guy needs some actual playing time.

If you ask any college coach he is going to say that he wants one guy to be the QB, period. Of course it is always great to have a backup with experience but this whole back and forth thing is not good.

Watch the video from media day with Woody. He was all smiles when asked how it felt not to have the QB back and forth.

I dont care who it is and if GR steals the job from Sam at one point or another but if you are rooting for rotating QB's in meaningful time you are crazy.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I like that SR is texting his receivers for extra practice. Shows good leadership, and can only help their feel for each other. Hope he's doing that with the running backs too.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010

Rohach will get plenty of reps in garbage time second halves when we are up by 30+

*slowly setting down the kool aid*

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
If you ask any college coach he is going to say that he wants one guy to be the QB, period. Of course it is always great to have a backup with experience but this whole back and forth thing is not good.

Watch the video from media day with Woody. He was all smiles when asked how it felt not to have the QB back and forth.

I dont care who it is and if GR steals the job from Sam at one point or another but if you are rooting for rotating QB's in meaningful time you are crazy.

Then I guess Northwestern's Coach P. Fitzgerald is a "crazy guy". He has used (over the past 4 years) a two quarterback rotation that has driven opposing teams in the Big Ten nuts. He situationally uses Kain Colter (running QB) and Trevor Siemian (passing QB) all the time. I have certainly not watched alot of NW's games; but, the ones that I have watched, NW's offense runs smoothly (whoever is QBing).

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This is going to pay big dividends for the team going forward this year. For Sam it has to give him confidence heading into fall camp knowing that he is the guy. He will get more reps which will only help. It also has to be a great comfort to the other skill position players heading into camp. In all reality it has to be a considerable adjustment constantly jumping back and forth between two different QB's. QB's have different styles, different personalities, different throwing motions, different cadences, put different spin on the football, throw at different velocity, The angle or loft on different throws (20 yards, 30 yards, 40 yards, etc...) will change based on the QB's arm strength, the timing of how quickly the ball will get to them changes based on velocity, etc... I am sure there are a ton of other potential differences that a WR, TE, or RB would have to adjust for between 2 different QB's.

It had to be hard enough for these guys to run their routes while trying to beat their defender and create seperation while at the same time trying to factor in the tendencies and the factors listed above for each QB. That process just got simplified for everyone and that can only mean good things.

Very good points and you could tell there was a big difference between QBs the last two years. You could tell who each QB liked to go to. Jantz to Money, JB to Lenz... The running game was wildly inconsistent between the two as well. SJ did not make the reads nearly as well as JB.