MLB: Catcher Restrains Umpire from Charging the Mound

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
That's pathetic. The role of officials in sports is to keep the game in order and under control. If he can't keep himself under control, he cannot fulfill his responsibility of being an official.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Before opening the link, I was praying it wasn't Eric Cooper but in the back of my mind I knew it probably was.

It was.

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
He's from Iowa right? While not really professional, how else does an umpire get a point across without throwing someone out. My question is what happened earlier.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I was watching that game when it happened. I believe the manager had already been out twice that game to argue calls, including one on the previous batter. Burnett was frustrated with the calls for most of the game. Technically you're not allowed to argue balls and strikes. I think it was more of a "If you keep arguing I'm going to toss your ***" warning as opposed to "charging the mound". Watching the game I didn't think much of it.

Also, saying that the catcher "restrained him" is a bit of a stretch. Makes it seem like he bull rushed the pitcher.

Last edited:

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
He's from Iowa right? While not really professional, how else does an umpire get a point across without throwing someone out. My question is what happened earlier.
Watched the game and what happened is that Cooper was not being consistent with his calls. What he called a strike previously was somehow a ball a couple batters later and vise versa. Burnett was just showing he anger over the inconsistent calls and that is the outcome shown in the video.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Umm, headline and commentator completely wrong. There was no charging at the pitcher.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Baseball umpires are all a joke. Bring in instant replay and robots.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

What happened earlier in the inning was another bad call where the batter swung on 3rd strike even though the ball dived on him and hit his foot. Should have been out. Blue called the ball in the dirt which is a 3rd strike drop and the batter scampered to first, and ultimately second while they argued. Then here a few pitches later, again on strike three the pitch catches the corner and the pitcher is understandably ******. After this the rest of the game was boring.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Baseball umpires are all a joke. Bring in instant replay and robots.
They are pathetic. I don't what it is about baseball umpires that brings out this fake bravado. I suggest it's nothing more than tradition. That's just how it's always been.

I think they should automate balls and strikes with the box they use on TV. Not perfect but will be consistent. Then every field play should get looked at in the booth. It wouldn't slow the game down any, if at all. There's plenty of time between pitches for a review umpire to hit a button and say I need more time to review that last play.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Imagine an NFL referee and a head coach getting into a yelling match on the field and then the ref throws out the coach. Never happens. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting an umpire completely blowing a call and then throwing out the manager that complains that the ump sucks at his job.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
It's actually illegal for umpires to be the aggressor in arguments on the field, unless it has to do with player safety, because players/coaches can't defend themselves without risking getting kicked out. So we can definitely expect a big time suspension.