Williams/Blum PODCAST: Big 12 football debate

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
I endorse Summer Shandy! and of course CW dosnt know what he is talking bout in the Challenge. Dont mess with KC Wess and CT is from the mean streets of Connecticut. (i think)

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
OK, I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but based on comments above....if "busch light boy" is making fun of anyone's beer choices....he got no room to talk.

:jimlad:

Although, on the other hand, the summer shandy in my basement fridge is exclusively being drank by the little missus, and it's been in there for nearly a month, and I have to tell her to leave my good beer alone and drink that.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I am with Blum on that. I enjoy seeing ISU win games, but watching the Western Illinois game that is boring for the most part that we win 100% of the time vs Iowa or Tulsa that we win say 50% of the time. To me it's a no brainer. I want to be entertained and the risk of losing a game is just par for the course. And another thing, no one is going to talk about ISU beating Western Illinois the next day on ESPN, they might if we beat a team with a pulse.

Reactions: Aclone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Great discussion. Glad to hear Blum's take on Big 12 predictions, Summer beers, and The Bachelorette.

The Friday night "after school" gathering at The Keg Stand to talk Cyclone Sports sounds fun. You might want to make a sticky thread about it so that more people get the word.

P.S. CW, do you really have Busch Light when you go to The Keg Stand? All those choices on tap and you don't even try something else?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I am with Blum on that. I enjoy seeing ISU win games, but watching the Western Illinois game that is boring for the most part that we win 100% of the time vs Iowa or Tulsa that we win say 50% of the time. To me it's a no brainer. I want to be entertained and the risk of losing a game is just par for the course. And another thing, no one is going to talk about ISU beating Western Illinois the next day on ESPN, they might if we beat a team with a pulse.

For things like this to change, we need a re-do on what bowl eligibility is. The current system where # of wins is all that matters means we're going to focus on that first and guarantee wins where we can with an already difficult schedule.

It really should be something else that focuses more on the actual rating of the teams involved, and the SOS they played.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Great discussion. Glad to hear Blum's take on Big 12 predictions, Summer beers, and The Bachelorette.

The Friday night "after school" gathering at The Keg Stand to talk Cyclone Sports sounds fun. You might want to make a sticky thread about it so that more people get the word.

P.S. CW, do you really have Busch Light when you go to The Keg Stand? All those choices on tap and you don't even try something else?

It all depends on my mood. Tomorrow, I'll likely start with something new and then move onto the good stuff. An iced cold Blue Tasty.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
At the end of the day when it comes to Bowls it is all about the number of wins. Schedule Iowa and a couple of cupcakes. Pay the money and get 7 home games and get the cupcakes here. That is what we need to do. Scheduling home and away series with Tulsa and Toledo and San Jose State is not what we should do IMO. If you want another home and away then schedule MINNESOTA which would be a great game IMO. At the end of the season everyone forgets who you played in the non-conference and looks at the number of wins. Our conference is strong enough to have cupcakes in the non-conference. And if you can't get cupcakes then schedule the close losing programs of the Big Ten like Illinois, and Minnesota......along with Iowa.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
For things like this to change, we need a re-do on what bowl eligibility is. The current system where # of wins is all that matters means we're going to focus on that first and guarantee wins where we can with an already difficult schedule.

It really should be something else that focuses more on the actual rating of the teams involved, and the SOS they played.
Or, when the program progresses to the place where bowl eligibility becomes a moot point, it doesn't matter who we get the win against, does it?

I'm pretty sure that I've heard commentators talking about how important SOS is for future rankings/playoff picture. I could be wrong though, I've been mistaken before.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Tony Pierson of Kansas is moving from RB to WR this year to try and give them a playmaker there.

I'm fine with ISU's schedule year in and year out. Actually wished I had sold my ticket to W. Ill last year. Could have saved me the drive over from Omaha and just watched it on Cyclones.tv instead.

UNI, Iowa, and Tulsa will all make for interesting games from an anticipation standpoint. They also provide some challenges for SR heading into Big 12 play.