BLOG: The evolution of Rodney Coe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
God I really hope this guy can rise up be a big factor next year. Not counting on much more than depth next season but I hope I am wrong.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Coe could be a great story this year. It's going to be tough playing inside with almost no experience against Big12 OL though. But he's such and athlete. He no doubt has that quick twitch muscle mass that makes Shane drool.

If that lightbulb comes on it will be interesting.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
If he can grasp the technique playing inside with his athletic ability and size he could be a force on the D-line. Let's hope he does. I think this D-line will be the surprise unit on the team this year. Right now everyone points to it as a weakness but as the season rolls along I think they could end up being quite good.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
If he can grasp the technique playing inside with his athletic ability and size he could be a force on the D-line. Let's hope he does. I think this D-line will be the surprise unit on the team this year. Right now everyone points to it as a weakness but as the season rolls along I think they could end up being quite good.

There is a lot of talent there, however most of the talent is young and inexperienced. It sure would be nice for a couple of those young guys like Aka or Cousin to step up this year, but I feel in a year or 2, our interior Dline is going to be very strong.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Hey CW, Did Coach mention anything about technique or where he is at with his knowledge of playing on the DL. I would be interested to know those things. We all know this guy has got tons of potential athletically.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Coe looks like a man among boys in those highlights. And it appears he has the ability to shed blocks and make plays. His development is key to our success this coming year. Very athletic and quick for his size.

Falselife

Jul 28, 2011
God I really hope this guy can rise up be a big factor next year. Not counting on much more than depth next season but I hope I am wrong.

Coe will start. I know we are on the Lazard hype train, and rightfully so, but don't forget the athlete this guy was and is. He was a top 100 player in high school when he chose the hawks over Alabama.

He can be a game changer for us. Good feet and burst. If that extra weight doesn't destroy his burst, look out. Dude has all big12 talent.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Seeing visions of him and Willie Scott both requiring double teams!

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Seeing visions of him and Willie Scott both requiring double teams!

If Irving can step his game up this D-line could be a handful and that opens up lots of space for the linebackers to roam and make plays. If the d-line can keep the O-lines busy that provides a ton of help for an inexperienced LB group.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Coe looks like a man among boys in those highlights. And it appears he has the ability to shed blocks and make plays. His development is key to our success this coming year. Very athletic and quick for his size.

Agree 100%. There's a lot to like in that highlight tape. I had no idea he was that athletic.

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
Lol at playing at 235 as a freshman. He was more like 260

Great athlete though, glad he's a clone :)

Last edited:

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I hope people don't get their hopes up too high for Coe this season. He has played one year of JC at DE. He'd never played on the line before that. Now he is moving inside where he has also never played. You can have the athletic ability in the world but if you don't have the correct technique you won't be very good. I think people should look at this year as a development year for Coe and expect big things next year.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
So I'm not getting fat, I'm just slowly "evolving" to Defensive Tackle?

Sure, let's go with that. I prefer to evolve from DT, however.

I was wondering what happened to the 50 lbs I lost over the last year. Now I know where they went. I guess Rodney found them. :smile:

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I hope people don't get their hopes up too high for Coe this season. He has played one year of JC at DE. He'd never played on the line before that. Now he is moving inside where he has also never played. You can have the athletic ability in the world but if you don't have the correct technique you won't be very good. I think people should look at this year as a development year for Coe and expect big things next year.
That is how I see it. Provide depth at year 1 with some good plays, but with the potential to explode in year 2.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron