2013 Premier League

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Seasons starts in three weeks, what's everyone's thoughts of the season to come?

Will Real Madrid make a big money offer for Bale now that Higuain has signed with Napoli? I hope so but I don't think Spurs could realistically sell Bale and hope to finish in the top half of the table.

And still Arsenal have done nothing, maybe telling everyone you have a ******** of money isn't good when you're trying to get them to sell things to you. Having Wilshere at full fitness for a whole season will be nice, be interesting how he and Cazorla are worked in together. With zero other options available for a striker I hope we throw cash at Liverpool until they sell Suarez since it doesn't seem like we'll be using it for anything else aside from maybe Bernard who I know nothing about.

timappelgate

Apr 9, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I gotta go with City this year. Silva, Navas and Fernandinho in the midfield is gonna be too much. Plus Aguero, Jovetic, Dzeko, etc. up front.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I gotta go with City this year. Silva, Navas and Fernandinho in the midfield is gonna be too much. Plus Aguero, Jovetic, Dzeko, etc. up front.

Hopefully getting rid of most of the drama stabilizes city enough to make a decent run at it this year.

Really I'm just hoping for a more entertaining title race this year.

CEcyclone

Dec 15, 2011
Lenexa, KS
As a neutral, I'm most interested in seeing how Moyers does at United. If he has some poor results early the ManU faithful could turn on him fast, Im ready for that **** show.

Also really hoping Jozy can take the EPL by storm at Sunderland. Go Black Cats!

cyguy9320

Nov 26, 2006
I'm voting for City, although I may be slightly biased. I'm just hoping with the new signings and coaching that we can win the title again, hopefully a little less dramatically this time as I'm not sure my heart can take it. My second vote is for anyone but Man U.

CTID

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I'm excited at the thought of being able to watch every match of the season with NBC's coverage. I know Dish and Mediacom have already agreed to offer the NBC Sports Live Extra service to subscribers who have NBC Sports Network in their cable package. I'm hoping that DirecTV will join them as well.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Giggity! Copied directly from DirecTV's website...

DIRECTV is excited to announce we will be carrying Barclay’s English Premier League (EPL) soccer matches for the 2013-14 season…close to 380 EPL games in all. Matches begin on August 17th through the conclusion in May of 2014. Approximately half of the matches can be found on various NBC channels including your local NBC station, the NBC Sports Network, USA Network, CNBC, Telemundo and Mun2. More than 180 matches not airing on the NBC suite of channels can be found in Premier League Extra Time, a free package of EPL matches available to DIRECTV customers with CHOICE XTRA package and above. The Premier League Extra Time channel range has yet to be announced and will be available in HD only.

Additional information, including a schedule of games, channel locations and other information for the EPL on DIRECTV will be available in early August.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
NBC has revealed more plans on how it's going to cover the beginning of the Premier League season. Lots of details here...

NBC Announces TV Schedule for EPL Matches Between Aug-Dec Including 10 On Free-to-Air NBC | World Soccer Talk

Some of the interesting tidbits from the article...

1) NBC Sports has announced their Premier League TV schedule for the first three months of the 2013-14 season, which includes an unprecedented 10 matches on their free over-the-air NBC network. Those games are Swansea-Man United (Aug. 17), Aston Villa-Liverpool (Aug. 24), Crystal Palace-Sunderland (Aug. 31), Everton-Chelsea (Sept. 14), Swansea-Arsenal (Sept. 28), West Ham-Manchester City (Oct. 19), Arsenal-Liverpool (Nov. 2), Norwich-West Ham United (Nov. 9), Manchester City-Tottenham (Nov. 23) and Newcastle United-West Bromwich Albion (Nov. 30).

2) Altogether between August 17 and December 1, NBC Sports will broadcast 69 games on live television and all 130 via their app NBC Sports Live Extra. Out of the 69 games to be shown live on US television, 10 of them will be on the over-the-air NBC network, 2 on CNBC and the remaining 57 on NBC Sports Network. Additionally, 27 games of the 69 games will be simulcast in Spanish on Telemundo/mun2. This means that at least five Premier League matches per week will be shown live on US television for the first three months of the season.

3) Lots of information in the linked article too about Premier League Extra Time and NBC Sports Live Extra including updated lists of providers who are offering either or both service(s).

I have to say that I love that NBC is aggressively pushing cable companies to offer basically the entire Premier League season (every minute of every match) to cable subscribers without charging customers any additional money. There's not craziness like offering a channel like Fox Soccer Plus as an a la carte or making those who want access to every PL match pay for a subscription to a service like Fox Soccer 2 Go.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
So do DirecTV people get every match on TV or is the Extra Time thing an online streaming deal?

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
So do DirecTV people get every match on TV or is the Extra Time thing an online streaming deal?

Both. Since my post yesterday DirecTV has confirmed that they will be offering both Premier League Extra Time and NBC Sports Live Extra. Premier League Extra Time means they will be offering every match on TV on a set of overflow channels that they will be creating much like they've done with Champions League matches in the past. They are also supporting NBC Sports Live Extra which is the online streaming service that you can supposedly use on smart phones, tablets, computers, etc. So essentially DirecTV subscribers (assuming you subscribe to a tier that includes NBC Sports Network) will be able to watch all PL matches either on TV or online.

Last edited:

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
City will not win the league this year. And any City fan I've ever met is just a bandwagon. It will be an interesting title race though.

Go Gunners!

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Can we ink Bale to Madrid yet? Turning down that kind of money is insane for Tottenham.
Is it still 85 million? I think that's the last I heard. If that's true I don't know how Spurs can turn it away, that's an absolutely insane amount of money. They've proven before they're not afraid to sell top flight players ie. Modric and Berbatov, but Bale is certainly on a slightly different level.

The only thing is if they sell him are they basically dooming themselves to a mid-table or worse finish this season? Where do they replace those 20+ goals?

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
This is the last news I saw, all these transfer rumors are dodgy at best though it seems, but this says 85 million all cash, no players.

Transfer news: Real Madrid bid £85m for Tottenham's Gareth Bale | Tottenham Hotspur News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports

that's a newer article than the one I was referring to.

It's a huge amount of money but I don't see how they make the Champions League without him, they're a borderline team with him. I don't care how much money they get they won't be able to replace him this season. I hope he stays just because I watch a lot more Premier League than La Liga.

larry

Apr 11, 2006
iowa city
Both. Since my post yesterday DirecTV has confirmed that they will be offering both Premier League Extra Time and NBC Sports Live Extra. Premier League Extra Time means they will be offering every match on TV on a set of overflow channels that they will be creating much like they've done with Champions League matches in the past. They are also supporting NBC Sports Live Extra which is the online streaming service that you can supposedly use on smart phones, tablets, computers, etc. So essentially DirecTV subscribers (assuming you subscribe to a tier that includes NBC Sports Network) will be able to watch all PL matches either on TV or online.

Now, my question is whether or not you'll be able to watch games online AFTER they have been played, and if the announcers will constantly give score updates(hopefully not). This was a great benefit to FoxSoccer2Go.