New ESPN Ranking for Lazard

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
149th overall
20th WR
4.65 40 time

• Iowa State -WR Allen Lazard (Urbandale, Iowa/Urbandale) climbs to No. 149 from No. 224: Our concern with Lazard was that he had some of the same deficiencies that Northwestern's Kyle Prater did coming out, but the reality is that while there are similarities, Lazard is more flexible and sudden, which gives him bigger upside to develop as a route runner. Don't count out Lazard, an Iowa State commit, as a flex-WR/H-back from the slot, a position he played and looked very good in at The Opening.

Football Recruiting - Allen Lazard - Player Profiles - ESPN

Illiniclone

Jan 20, 2009
149th overall
20th WR
4.65 40 time

• Iowa State -WR Allen Lazard (Urbandale, Iowa/Urbandale) climbs to No. 149 from No. 224: Our concern with Lazard was that he had some of the same deficiencies that Northwestern's Kyle Prater did coming out, but the reality is that while there are similarities, Lazard is more flexible and sudden, which gives him bigger upside to develop as a route runner. Don't count out Lazard, an Iowa State commit, as a flex-WR/H-back from the slot, a position he played and looked very good in at The Opening.

Fact of the matter is rankings don't matter once you step on campus. He'll have a lot of people doubting how good he is and I'm sure it'll make him hungrier to prove those people wrong.

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
Hes got the chance to be a 5* on Rivals and a probable 3* by by espn. Makes perfect sense. Cant help but think his commitment to ISU hurt him with ESPN.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Hes got the chance to be a 5* on Rivals and a probable 3* by by espn. Makes perfect sense. Cant help but think his commitment to ISU hurt him with ESPN.

This is true. A commitment to any school more prestigious, and I have no doubt he would've been higher. But, it's part of being an Iowa State fan. Gotta prove people wrong, it's our job.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Is it normal for there to be a ranking so different between Rivals and ESPN?

For a guy like Lazard? Yes. For a guy like Dupree? Probably not.

He just climbed almost 80 spots. Cripes.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
149th overall
20th WR
4.65 40 time

Iowa State -WR Allen Lazard (Urbandale, Iowa/Urbandale) climbs to No. 149 from No. 224: Our concern with Lazard was that he had some of the same deficiencies that Northwestern's Kyle Prater did coming out, but the reality is that while there are similarities, Lazard is more flexible and sudden, which gives him bigger upside to develop as a route runner. Don't count out Lazard, an Iowa State commit, as a flex-WR/H-back from the slot, a position he played and looked very good in at The Opening.

The No. 224 best to number #149 is for all player / all positions or is that just WR?

theCyBooty

Sep 7, 2012

How is Lazard a probably 3 star by ESPN when they have him a 4 star and in their top 150 and they have more than 400 players ranked as 4 stars?

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
Rankings dont mean a damn thing. Someones gotta get him the ball and for that to happen its gonna take a solid line, qb and good blocking rbs. Cant wait to watch him put on the Cyclone jersey.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
The guy they're comparing him to was rated higher by both ESPN and Rivals, and he has 11 total catches in 2 years, with no touchdowns.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
If you click on the video they also talk about Lazard on there.

Tony Brown among big movers in updated ESPN 300 - ESPN

He's getting compared to this guy who transferred to Northwestern

Kyle Prater - Yahoo! Sports

So they are comparing him to Prater, and saying he doesn't have the same defeceincies as him, which by my comprehension means he might be a little better than him. Well why was Prater the number 1 receiver and number 3 overall recruit, and Lazard is number 149?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
So they are comparing him to Prater, and saying he doesn't have the same defeceincies as him, which by my comprehension means he might be a little better than him. Well why was Prater the number 1 receiver and number 3 overall recruit, and Lazard is number 149?

The guy they're comparing him to was rated higher by both ESPN and Rivals, and he has 11 total catches in 2 years, with no touchdowns.

I would think that answers the question

edit: what I mean by that is they obviously assumed things about Prater that didn't pan out and see some of those qualities in Lazard. That doesn't mean anything for Lazard's future as a player but I understand the ranking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aclone