*** Official Brickyard 400 Thread *** Raceday

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
NASCAR on ESPN 1:15 PM Ea.

I have mixed emotions every year for stock cars on the big flat oval at Indy. The new Gen 6 cars have brought more speed and hopefully keep the cars closer to each other.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
No sure what the crowd is, but very spread out and lots of open spaces. I know the stands hold 250k, but looks sparse.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Attendance certainly doesn't look good. Half full is still 100k and more than any other sport attract for a single event. Most races out here on the east are still suffering in attendance as well, Bristol, Martinsville, Charlotte, etc. are well under what they were 10 years ago.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Attendance certainly doesn't look good. Half full is still 100k and more than any other sport attract for a single event. Most races out here on the east are still suffering in attendance as well, Bristol, Martinsville, Charlotte, etc. are well under what they were 10 years ago.

I noticed a lot of empty seats as well.

Here's something I don't get - do people go into the golf/baseball/any sport threads just to say how stupid/boring they think that sport is? I know there was a big golf thread a week or so ago, but I hate golf so I didn't read it, but I wonder if idiots do the same thing in there.

Reactions: kilgore_trout

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
I don't know if there is a sport with more avid fans for and against as NASCAR. It's actually good for the sport I believe. I grew up around racing and have always gotten negative feedback, but at the end of the day rating and attendance soared through the 90's at the same time no one would admit to liking or being a fan.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I don't know if there is a sport with more avid fans for and against as NASCAR. It's actually good for the sport I believe. I grew up around racing and have always gotten negative feedback, but at the end of the day rating and attendance soared through the 90's at the same time no one would admit to liking or being a fan.

was it Dale Sr.(and repeated by Kyle Busch) that used to say something to the extent of he'd rather the fans boo him than be silent cause that meant they cared? Probably the same kind of thing. I think for a lot of people it's not something they can watch and immediately understand. You have to watch for a while to understand some of the rules, strategy, and who's good at what tracks to really "get" it.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
That's always my response is you have to be involved to see what all plays into it. There is much more than going fast and turning left. Teams have hundreds of people working 60+ hours a week to make these things go, not to mention the drivers who families put everything they had to get to this level.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Got to be some mixed emotions for Tony, would love to hear what is really in his head or Newmans. I'm sure we will get the politically correct interviews though.

This should help Ryan get a good ride for next year though.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Got to be some mixed emotions for Tony, would love to hear what is really in his head or Newmans. I'm sure we will get the politically correct interviews though.

This should help Ryan get a good ride for next year though.

he seems legitimately happy for him and yeah, hopefully they'll be some people wanting Newman's number for next year now.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron