Jeff Woody

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ShankinPATs

Oct 13, 2011
Huxley
I think Woody will have a huge year for the clones this year. Possibly leading the team in touchdowns due to his involvement in the passing game from what we hear of the new pistol and using him similar to a tight end. Not to mention the doubt that some on here have about our oline the big bruiser only makes sense. Thoughts?

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
As long as ISU isn't handing the ball off to him in the zone read from their own 1 yd line again...

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
As long as ISU isn't handing the ball off to him in the zone read from their own 1 yd line again...

I think rhoads does that to get some positive yards instead of White getting tackled in the end zone for a safety

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I don't see him catching more than 10 passes. just my guess.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I think James White will lead us in TD's (not counting Richardson obviously). I do think Woody will have a nice year though

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I think Woody will have a huge year for the clones this year. Possibly leading the team in touchdowns due to his involvement in the passing game from what we hear of the new pistol and using him similar to a tight end. Not to mention the doubt that some on here have about our oline the big bruiser only makes sense. Thoughts?

no

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I think Sam Richardson will light up some eyes with his running also.

Not sure how I feel about this, I like the idea and ability of SR running, but hopefully it's by design and not necessity. And if it is design, then I hope it's not an awful lot, because if it is, then that means our RBs aren't getting it done and we run the risk of injury.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Not sure how I feel about this, I like the idea and ability of SR running, but hopefully it's by design and not necessity. And if it is design, then I hope it's not an awful lot, because if it is, then that means our RBs aren't getting it done and we run the risk of injury.

Agree. Would prefer if we never called SR to run, and he only ran on busted plays, recvrs covered, etc. Less abuse to your QB and less likely to take a big hit running in that situation (I think).

As far as Woody, who knows. There's talk of him doing everything except kicking PATs. I could see it and I think he can help in different roles. But I don't expect anyone to put up big numbers of carries, yards, etc. Just too many options at RB and receiver, and none seem to be world-beaters. So expect the offense to have a lot of different heroes in different games.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I don't care if it's a walk on I've never heard of - I just want a sold running game and not this 1-2 yard zone read crap.

Get at least 4-5avg and all is good.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Although the 25 yards in OT against Okie State worked just fine.

I think it is fair to call that a special circumstance. That was an impressive showcase by our Oline and by Woody.

The worst way we could use Woody is as a specialty power back when the defense knows we are going to run it. You have to switch it up or you tip your hand, which we did a lot last year including that safety.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
I think Sam Richardson will light up some eyes with his running also.

I have to disagree with this; with the running backs we have this year if Sam is a leading rusher then the passing game is sucking and that still needs to be a key in our offense.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I have to disagree with this; with the running backs we have this year if Sam is a leading rusher then the passing game is sucking and that still needs to be a key in our offense.

More than likely, a majority of our rushing plays will be the zone read. In a typical zone read, there should be a 50% chance the QB keeps it and a 50% chance they give it to the running back. We will use anywhere from 3 to 6 running backs, but only one QB. Due to all this, it's very likely Richardson will lead the team in rushing.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
More than likely, a majority of our rushing plays will be the zone read. In a typical zone read, there should be a 50% chance the QB keeps it and a 50% chance they give it to the running back. We will use anywhere from 3 to 6 running backs, but only one QB. Due to all this, it's very likely Richardson will lead the team in rushing.

I don't think it is likely that he leads the team, but he will be up there. I think someone will definitely get 600-700 yards this year. Don't see SR getting that much.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

That was more Lichtenburgs fault for missing the guy he was supposed to block when he pulled. And more than that, it was Messinghams fault for calling a slow developing play like that from our own 1.