Rhoads talks progress, recruiting, scheduling & more

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Why don't we play West Virginia in Indy or Chicago? That might be fun.

I guess the way I look at it is if you're going to go neutral, you need to go somewhere where both teams' fans can get to fairly easily. I'm no expert on this but I can't imagine Iowa State or West Virginia having huge numbers of alums in either of those cities. Maybe I'm wrong.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I guess the way I look at it is if you're going to go neutral, you need to go somewhere where both teams' fans can get to fairly easily. I'm no expert on this but I can't imagine Iowa State or West Virginia having huge numbers of alums in either of those cities. Maybe I'm wrong.

True. But I hate Arrowhead... I was hoping for something a little better. One can dream

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
One year in Chi-town. One in Indy. I'd be game for both.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I also think it could be fun to play Okie St. in KC sometime.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
The way I look at it is this, we were what? 1-3 or 1-4 in conference play at home last year. That being said I would rather see a game at someones home stadium so the crowd is really into it. Until we learn to defend the Jack in conference play I don't think it really matters that we try to go to a neutral site for any game IMO.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
The way I look at it is this, we were what? 1-3 or 1-4 in conference play at home last year. That being said I would rather see a game at someones home stadium so the crowd is really into it. Until we learn to defend the Jack in conference play I don't think it really matters that we try to go to a neutral site for any game IMO.

To play devil's advocate, never before in Iowa State history has the program sold season tickets like it is doing right now. There is clearly demand for as many home games is possible right? I'd hate to give any of those away but that's just me.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
To play devil's advocate, never before in Iowa State history has the program sold season tickets like it is doing right now. There is clearly demand for as many home games is possible right? I'd hate to give any of those away but that's just me.

Wouldn't we be splitting the neutral site games down the middle?

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I don't think the 4-4-1 deal will ever happen, that means ISU will have too many seasons if not all with only 6 home games. there is too much money being lost on the gates of that 7th game. If ISU had all their non-conference at home, minus the Iowa game every other year - then maybe it works, but i think they have road games scheduled out for the next 6 years or so.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Very good point. $$$ talks!

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I don't think the 4-4-1 deal will ever happen, that means ISU will have too many seasons if not all with only 6 home games. there is too much money being lost on the gates of that 7th game. If ISU had all their non-conference at home, minus the Iowa game every other year - then maybe it works, but i think they have road games scheduled out for the next 6 years or so.

Unless TV money is going so well that other tangibles make it worth it.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Unless TV money is going so well that other tangibles make it worth it.

With our TV money doubling next year or this year or whenever it is. I think we could make do with a neutral site game that we're splitting the money with anyway.

Also, I'd be a fan of seeing an Oklahoma School in Kansas City.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Well yeah but you'd still be losing out on one home game every two years against a Big 12 opponent.

A neutral site every year would be better a home game every 2 years though right? Financially speaking. I saw an article stating that Kansas State made 400k more doing our old arrangement at Arrowhead than having a home game. I bet you that number is even better for us.

EDIT: Well I just looked up that we have 5,000 more seats than Bill Snyder but I still think we would make more by doing it in Arrowhead or wherever. Also, you lose a home game but you also lose a road game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Yeah, but how much, if at all, would they need to lower the cost of season tickets if there was one less B12 game in Ames every other year? I'm not sure it'd make much difference.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

I concur. I would hate going to only four conference truly home games every year. The more games at Jack Trice, the better. I prefer the alternating 4&5 because that adds up to 9 every two years and 4/4/1 adds up to 8 every two years.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Taking Big XII fans/money to a B1G city isn't going to fly. Yes, I know KC is in MO and therefore, technically, not a Big XII location.

Plus, I think we want to save our massive travelling fan base for the bowl game! I would be afraid that a neutral site conference game would pull some support away from the bowl game.

Help Support Us

Become a patron