NFL: The Pouncey Brothers and their "Free Hernandez" hats

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Maurkice Pouncey of Pittsburgh Steelers sorry for Free Hernandez hat - ESPN

Not sure how I feel about this. Obviously Hernandez appears to be guilty. I, personally think he's guilty as heck. That said, these guys were teammates of his, probably know him well, and want to support their friend who is still technically innocent. If they believe that he didn't do it, why shouldn't they be able to support their friend? I have a hard time believing that the league could do much to stop them if they wanted to force the issue. It's not like the Steelers/Dolphins would ever cut either one over something like this. I doubt the team/league could fine them either.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I thought they were be rumored to be involved with the 2007 shooting that Hernadez is being connected to? These guys appear to be about the same quality persons that AH is.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If they want to believe in a friend and former teammate that's their prerogative. Just not sure you want to go about your "support" in such a public fashion.

they wore hats and picture was snapped of it, by an amateur. It's not like they're out their giving interviews or doing press releases.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
they wore hats and picture was snapped of it, by an amateur. It's not like they're out their giving interviews or doing press releases.

If you're an NFL player doing this you have to assume that someone will take a picture and it will make the rounds.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Doesn't matter how - it was in public. And, in my opinion, really stupid. Yes, he's still technically innocent, but quiet support behind the scenes might be better judgement.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Doesn't matter how - it was in public. And, in my opinion, really stupid. Yes, he's still technically innocent, but quiet support behind the scenes might be better judgement.

again though, why? Why are they not allowed to support their friend if they think he's innocent? I guess their teams could cut them, but they won't. It's a freakin hat. Aren't we getting a little bit ridiculous?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
again though, why? Why are they not allowed to support their friend if they think he's innocent? I guess their teams could cut them, but they won't. It's a freakin hat. Aren't we getting a little bit ridiculous?

It's in poor taste, and they should have thought better of it. There are ways they could publicly support their friend without antagonizing a whole lot of people who have already decided he's guilty. But if your question is should they be disciplined for being stupid? If they didn't hurt anyone or break any laws in the process, then no. As you said, it's a freakin' hat.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It's in poor taste, and they should have thought better of it. There are ways they could publicly support their friend without antagonizing a whole lot of people who have already decided he's guilty. But if your question is should they be disciplined for being stupid? If they didn't hurt anyone or break any laws in the process, then no. As you said, it's a freakin' hat.

I see what you're saying, but I hardly consider wearing a hat to be "antagonizing" in any way. Imagine if it was a Free Eric Snowden hat. Would it be antagonizing then?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It's certainly well within their right to support him and to believe his innocence, but it's clear what popular opinion is of Hernandez across the country and going against that is going to have some blow back.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It's certainly well within their right to support him and to believe his innocence, but it's clear what popular opinion is of Hernandez across the country and going against that is going to have some blow back.

ok, and I get that. But what's the appropriate amount of blowback for a hat? Yardbarker, on the right side of the screen, is telling me that the Steelers are going to "talk" to Maurkice about the situation. What the heck are they going to say that will have any clout? I'd love to see them try to fine him for something like that.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I see what you're saying, but I hardly consider wearing a hat to be "antagonizing" in any way. Imagine if it was a Free Eric Snowden hat. Would it be antagonizing then?

I'm with you, but a lot of people have already decided that Hernandez is probably guilty, and if I was one of those people then I might be offended by someone showing public support of a man who I believe committed murder. Whether or not that's fair is another discussion, but that's how it goes. Imagine if it was a Free George Zimmerman hat prior to the verdict last weekend. Would that have antagonized anybody?

Stelrs1995

Apr 17, 2006
Waukee, Iowa
I'm a huge Steeler fan and I don't care how good a player he is I hope the team does something. I think it was a classless move on their part. 2 game suspension without pay sounds about right.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
ok, and I get that. But what's the appropriate amount of blowback for a hat? Yardbarker, on the right side of the screen, is telling me that the Steelers are going to "talk" to Maurkice about the situation. What the heck are they going to say that will have any clout? I'd love to see them try to fine him for something like that.
I don't know if there's an "appropriate" amount. Some people are going to get all up in arms about it and others aren't going to give a ****. I personally don't care much. I'd think the Steelers talking to him would be because doing something that is clearly controversial may have implications for the organization as a whole since they are representatives of it. They can pretty much fine him for whatever they want, call it breaking team rules or something vague.

That and it seems that what happens in the NFL or sports in general makes little to no sense. The Patriots dropped Hernandez before half the facts were even out, the other day I read about the Hall of Fame taking down a picture of Hernandez, all this for what is supposed to be an innocent man in theory, that's not how it works in practice though in the court of public opinion.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm with you, but a lot of people have already decided that Hernandez is probably guilty, and if I was one of those people then I might be offended by someone showing public support of a man who I believe committed murder. Whether or not that's fair is another discussion, but that's how it goes. Imagine if it was a Free George Zimmerman hat prior to the verdict last weekend. Would that have antagonized anybody?

It probably would have, and it would have been just as ridiculous.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm a huge Steeler fan and I don't care how good a player he is I hope the team does something. I think it was a classless move on their part. 2 game suspension without pay sounds about right.

are you serious? Two game suspension without pay for wearing a hat supporting a friend and former teammate, who is still innocent in the eyes of the law?

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Well that's pretty far over the top.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

yeah heaven forbid they support a friend that they feel is innocent.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Very public case. Pats cut and did everything they could to disown the guy...fast. The guy is guilty in the eyes of everyone - right or wrong.

When someone comes out publicly to defend him - they're gonna feel the heat. Period.

Plus, these guys did it in a fun/playful manner (that's how it's perceived). Makes it even worse playfully defending a guy soon to be on trial for murder.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa

Never said they couldn't support their friend. I said, again in my opinion, it was stupid. Nowhere did I say the teams should cut them or fine them. Talk to them and tell them to use better judgement might be a good idea. Anything beyond that is not warranted. Still doesn't take away from them being stupid.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Never said they couldn't support their friend. I said, again in my opinion, it was stupid. Nowhere did I say the teams should cut them or fine them. Talk to them and tell them to use better judgement might be a good idea. Anything beyond that is not warranted. Still doesn't take away from them being stupid.

and my point is, what could their teams do to them if they decided to continue to support Hernandez? Any kind of fine or suspension would be jumped on by the players union.