Iowa @ Iowa State

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
sparked by the CCL vs PTL thread...

The likely (my guess) lineups and rotations:

Kane vs Gesell - ISU
Thomas vs Marble - Iowa (experience... I like Thomas in the end)
Hogue vs Uthoff - Iowa (just a gut feeling - I think Uthoff will have a big year)
Ejim vs White - ISU (really, really close. I'm sure Iowa fans will freak seeing this)
Niang vs Woodbury - ISU (sort of an apples/ oranges comparison, but I'll take Niang's "do everything" game to AW's perceived defense).

Starting lineups - slight edge to ISU. Remember the game is early in the year, and a guy like Thomas may still be getting a feel for D1 competition. Marble has good length to guard him with, he can score in a variety of ways - If I'm Iowa I'm going AT Thomas with Marble, and testing his D. Kane should be able to best Gesell.... but thinking as I type, maybe I have Kane guard Marble when Iowa has the possession, and maybe Iowa will opt to keep that matchup on the other end. Uthoff at the SF will make Iowa a really tall team.

Rotation matchups:
Palo/ Morris vs Clemmons - ISU (close)
Bluford/ SDW/ Long vs Oglesby/ Jok - ISU all day long. I like Jok to be able to sink some 3s if he's left open, but until I see him get to the rim, and play defense at D1, I'll pick against him. Oglesby... he does one thing... so don't let him do it.
Edozie/ Gibson vs. Basabe/ Olaseni/ McCabe - Iowa (If Iowa bench bigs are awake, I like them here, agains until I see Gibson do anything besides "go left" and see Edozie at all. If it's a WWE match - I'd take Edozie - he looks huge).

Overall, I think Iowa has a touch more depth, especially if you consider their experience in the starting lineup - especially at the post positions, and ISU post talent drops off quick. If our posts get into foul trouble it will be scary.

the home court advantage goes to the good guys, of course.

ISU by 6.

Ok, tell me I'm nuts...

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I agree with most of them, although it's hard to figure this out when we don't even know who will start and how big or small we will play. I like DeAndre Kane to be the x-factor in a lot of games this year. He has a lot of experience, great athletic ability and I believe with Fred an NBA future.

liljones13

Mar 27, 2006
Springville, IA
Matt Thomas could cement his hype and become an instant legend if he bury's the Hawks in year one, very similar situation with Royce and what became his "coming out" game against Iowa in 2011. I Expect to see Kane/Hogue on Marble and Thomas guarding Gesell or Uthoff.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I imagine the nonconference will be similar to the past couple of years where the team is getting comfortable with each other and our rotation won't be completely figured out yet. Iowa is going to be tough. If it was at Carver or a neutral site game I would pick Iowa, but since it's in Hilton I think ISU pulls it off in a very close one.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Two more things to add to our advantage.

Fred > Fran
Hilton magic

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
I envision Kane guarding the opponent's best perimeter player. In this case, that's Marble. Also, having been to a couple CCL games, I can't see Hogue checking any guards. He's definitely more forward than guard.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
I'm not as concerned about Thomas taking a long time to adjust to the D1 level like a lot of people are. It sounds like the kid can flat out shoot which is more than I can say for most of the Hawks. I think that by the time this game rolls around the good guys will be functioning as a very good offensive unit. Hoiberg is great at creating space for his players, and with all of our weapons and shooters I think that we will be able to put up some good numbers in the game. I guess if I was concerned about the newcomers at all, it would be more curiosity as to how their defense will be (since the Cap City League really doesn't tell us much). Can our newcomers gel as a cohesive defensive unit? Either way, I like our chances against the Hawks IN AMES.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Frankly, I'm a little concerned about the state of CyclONE nation thinking we can only beat the Hawks due to our home court advantage this year. Give it a rest people, Iowa is BAD. They will feature, in large, the same NIT team they had a year ago. You think a year of experience has turned guys like Gessel or Clemons or Woodbury into All-Big 10 athletes? No way! Those 3 hit their ceilings already, much like Iowa seniors Devyn Marble and Melsahn Basabe did. I think a lot of Iowa's potential success comes down to the impact Jok/more so Uthoff, have on the offensive side of the ball. Otherwise, this is the same poor shooting, unathletic team that somehow beat an un-motivated Cyclone squad a year ago. Iowa State is still the better team, even on paper, in my book. Look for a 9-15 point win IMO.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I'm curious how well Uthoff will play early in the season. Our redshirt transfers have had rough starts but he has sat out TWO years. I suspect he'll have really good games and then disappear in some until later in the season.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm curious how well Uthoff will play early in the season. Our redshirt transfers have had rough starts but he has sat out TWO years. I suspect he'll have really good games and then disappear in some until later in the season.
This is how I envision SDW will be for us this year as well.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Iowa will be good this year, make no mistake about it. The extra year will certainly help a pretty talented group of players, and Fran can coach so even though I bleed Cardinal and Gold I realize Iowa has a team to be recognized this year and for at least a couple more to come. I give us the advantage but this will be an exciting game.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
is white really as good as ejim?

Ejim is more versatile on offense but overall maybe equal offense. Ejim is a better rebounder, nothing against White but he's the best rebounder on either of these teams in a long time, maybe since Reggie Evans.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Marble is just so inconsistant. At the end of the year Marble was playing very good basketball...and Iowa became a very tough team to beat. I'm not convinced Marble will be consistant this year. If he's playing at a high level in Ames it could be a nail biter...with ISU maybe coming out on the sore end. My guess is Marble will be up and down again all year. I just hope we hit him on a down night. If that is the case I like ISU by a fairly comfortable margin. It's just tough to predict this team in the non conference. So many of Fred's teams take a while to get in a grove and it's tough to imagine that changing this year.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I'll reiterate some previous posts that I expect Iowa to be good this year. Despite what some of us want to think they have a talented team and Fran is a good coach. It's still a few years out but if Fred and Fran both stick around for a while we will see some top 10 battles in this game in future seasons, IMO.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'll reiterate some previous posts that I expect Iowa to be good this year. Despite what some of us want to think they have a talented team and Fran is a good coach. It's still a few years out but if Fred and Fran both stick around for a while we will see some top 10 battles in this game in future seasons, IMO.

Fern will do well to be in the top ten of the Big Ten.

Help Support Us

Become a patron