Van De Velde among Eastern Illinois AD finalists

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Good for him. I don't think he was as bad of an AD as everyone seems to think.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

Umm huh? He was horrible. He could not even decide what he wanted for lunch let alone make the decisions to run a departmet. He was terrible.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Ha Ha funny if you read the link and know CF slang it reads very funny!

JG-TC.com > Sports > Former Iowa State AD among EIU finalists

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
He was good with money and ballanced the books. He just had issues of rasing it.

cy1225

Oct 6, 2007
And with spending it. It's pretty easy to balance the budget when you won't spend any money for improvements.

Gotta disagree, we built two beautiful facilities when he was the AD the indoor practice facility and the academic center. I think he also put lights and video board in JTS and placed the name of the university on the uppedeck which looks very nice as you enter Ames. We also went to 5 bols games in 6 years and both the men and womens basketball teams were in the NCAA tournament. Left money in the reserve and ran a clean program. Sounds like a winner to me.

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
Gotta disagree, we built two beautiful facilities when he was the AD the indoor practice facility and the academic center. I think he also put lights and video board in JTS and placed the name of the university on the uppedeck which looks very nice as you enter Ames. We also went to 5 bols games in 6 years and both the men and womens basketball teams were in the NCAA tournament. Left money in the reserve and ran a clean program. Sounds like a winner to me.

He also let DMac run the Athletic department. Bungled the whole process of hireling a new MBB coach and we ended up with Morgan, and the current mess that JP and GMac have been left to clean up. 3 out of 4 coaches, for the most visible sports ISU participates in, have been fired within a year of BVDV leaving....Mac, Morgan, and Douglas.

After the moron left:

1. Fund raising is at record levels.

2. There is a very ambitious facilities upgrade plan on the table...BVDV would have never had the moxy to even attempt that.

3. Coaches salaries have been raised to mid-big 12 levels...instead of the bottom.

4. Customer service at the ticket office and anywhere else in the AD is wwwwaaayyyy better. Why because JP made it important.

5. The culture BVDV left behind in the Athletic Dept has been destroyed and changed. Mediocrity is not longer the status quo.

BVDV was far from a winner he was status quo at best. Good riddance to him and thank god he is gone. GG could not fire BVDV fast enough.....

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Boys Puleeze...Old VanDevelde was only good at one thing FIRING LARRY EUSTACY....

You see where that has gotten the basketball program....

Quoting Marty Tyrrell...Iowa State is a bottom feeder in the big 12!!!!!

First To Last ...Authored by Vandevelde!!!!

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006

Before the academic center was built student athletes used Linden Dining center to meet tutors in the evenings (a total of 2 computers for all the athletes to use). When they discontinued use of Linden there was Beyer Hall, the Jacobson Building, and pretty much anywhere else they could find to meet. I remember Beyer Hall being such a mess for tutoring. When they first put in computers for student athletes to use they were old and had different (and antiquated) versions of Windows. The computers in the dorms and Durham were better. Basically if a student athlete did any work on a computer in the dorms or Durham the ones in Beyer could not read the file because the software was outdated. It was really embarrassing to show a prospective student athlete what was the academic center. I remember a track coach coming by Beyer to show them where the athletes studied. There was a leak in the roof so they took out ceiling panel and had this sheet of plastic hanging from the ceiling so the water could trickle down into a large garbage can. When the coach said "This is our academic learning facility" you can tell the prospective athlete wasn't too impressed. I have not been in the new center (I haven't tutored athletes in nearly a decade). But from what I saw on TV I can tell you that saying the academic center is a major improvement is a vast understatement.

On a final note I thought anyone replacing Gene Smith was going to have a tough act to follow. Anyone out there with thoughts about the job Gene Smith did at ISU?

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Gene Smith is a great athletic director. Look where he has taken Ohio State too. They're making money hand over fist, and winning to boot.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I know for a fact that very few people in the athletic department cared for BVD when he was here.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Bruce would make an excellent C.F.O. anywhere. He was a lousy C.E.O. There is a difference between the two positions and what they do.

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
Gene Smith is a great athletic director. Look where he has taken Ohio State too. They're making money hand over fist, and winning to boot.

I have nothing agianst Gene Smith but he has nothing to do with what is going on at OSU. OSU was winning Championships before he got there and will after he leaves. I don't think he even hired "the sweater vest." I think a better representation of Gene Smith's ability is what he did at ASU....which is nothing. He hired Dirk Koetter and look how that worked.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Gene did good at hiring coaches and spending money. When he left he left behind a big budget mess. He did do a lot of good for the athletic dept.

jDub

Mar 23, 2006
Waukee
Bruce would make an excellent C.F.O. anywhere. He was a lousy C.E.O. There is a difference between the two positions and what they do.

That is one of the best explanations I've seen! You're absolutely right.

BVD seemed to wait for things to be brought to him or pushed on him until he pursued them. JP has created a vision for ISU athletics (like it or not) and is hell bent on making it a reality.

BVD seemed to be happy with the status quo more often than not. I think we know where JP stands on this issue.

cy1225

Oct 6, 2007

Actually if he did not have to clean up such a budget mess that Gene Smith left and if LE had not gotten into trouble I think his detractors would feel differently. Bruce did a very good job. The football and basketball teams cetainly had more success than they are having now and he did a good job raising money for facility projects like the indoor facility and the academic success center.

cy1225

Oct 6, 2007
And with spending it. It's pretty easy to balance the budget when you won't spend any money for improvements.

This is an example how wrong peole can be on message boards. The fact is he took LE from $600M to $1million after our second Big XII Championship and McCarney from $300M to $650M after we went to our 3rd consecutive bowl game. At the same time he raise $10 million to build the indoor practioce facility.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron