CCL/PTL comparison

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Okay, honest question here:

How does the PTL compare to the CCL? I quickly looked over the box scores for the PTL and was less than impressed. Iowa players rarely break 30 points and it seems like nobody is particularly dominating. It seems from my perspective that over half of the ISU players have better stat lines in the CCL than the best Iowa player in the PTL. Are the game lengths different? I'm just looking for more information.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

How does the PTL compare to the CCL? I quickly looked over the box scores for the PTL and was less than impressed. Iowa players rarely break 30 points and it seems like nobody is particularly dominating. It seems from my perspective that over half of the ISU players have better stat lines in the CCL than the best Iowa player in the PTL. Are the game lengths different? I'm just looking for more information.

ISU players have talent and Iowa players don't

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Based on the players (or lack of) involved, I'd have to say they're roughly equal (although I don't know what that means). I don't know why scoring is different - other than just the philosophy of the programs they play for.

I was dreaming the other day about how to make a more competitive summer league. I think it would be cool to have Drake, ISU, UNI, and Iowa players all in one league - games played in Marshalltown (probably the most central location with a decent gym and parking), and maybe it could even include some MCC JuCos, etc. I know it's just a dream, but it would be double the competition level of either the CCL or PTL.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The PTL claims that there is defense played. I've never watched a game, so I have no idea.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
The PTL claims that there is defense played. I've never watched a game, so I have no idea.

Iowa fan will claim this is the reason why the scoring is different, but I've seen PTL games and there isn't much difference at all. Summer league d is the same every summer for every league I've seen.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I could care less but I really hope we beat them this year. I would hate to see them rattle off 3 in a row versus us, which could happen if we lose at home this year.

I think we'll be fine next season but may not have gelled by early Dec.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I could care less but I really hope we beat them this year. I would hate to see them rattle off 3 in a row versus us, which could happen if we lose at home this year.

I think we'll be fine next season but may not have gelled by early Dec.

So we automatically are going to lose in 2014? Hmmmmm

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
The PTL has good UNI players while the CCL has very poor Drake players. Big difference in competition.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008

both leagues are glorified pickup games with no defense. The eastern Iowa media wants us to believe they're amazing barometers for Iowa mbb fortunes

When a 35-yr old Jason Price (ex-Hawk hack guard) can routinely score 20 pts/game in the PTL, you know these leagues are a joke

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The PTL has good UNI players while the CCL has very poor Drake players. Big difference in competition.

Are you sure they have UNI players. I'm pretty sure that Jacobson wouldn't let his players play in the PTL a couple of years ago. Not sure if that has changed.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
So we automatically are going to lose in 2014? Hmmmmm

I guess you missed where I said "it could happen".

Obviously we will always have a shot but road wins against quality teams early in the year don't come easy.

Same could be said for 2013-14. Even though they have pretty much everything coming back from a team tha beat us last year and we have a lot of new players, hopefully Hilton will be too much to overcome.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010

No it doesn't. UNI stopped sending their players due to the new workout rules, and iowa refusing to play home and homes.

Bad job out of you

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I guess you missed where I said "it could happen".

Obviously we will always have a shot but road wins against quality teams early in the year don't come easy.

Same could be said for 2013-14. Even though they have pretty much everything coming back from a team tha beat us last year and we have a lot of new players, hopefully Hilton will be too much to overcome.

My bad. Bright side is we won't lose to Iowa at home

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
Based on the players (or lack of) involved, I'd have to say they're roughly equal (although I don't know what that means). I don't know why scoring is different - other than just the philosophy of the programs they play for.

I was dreaming the other day about how to make a more competitive summer league. I think it would be cool to have Drake, ISU, UNI, and Iowa players all in one league - games played in Marshalltown (probably the most central location with a decent gym and parking), and maybe it could even include some MCC JuCos, etc. I know it's just a dream, but it would be double the competition level of either the CCL or PTL.

I'm pretty sure there are strict NCAA rules for summer leagues that state that more than two division 1 schools can't compete in the same one.