Hoiberg named as Celtics HC candidate

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
He's gone.

No way he would take that job. Nobody in their right mind would. The person who takes it will be gone in a year or two bc they will be bad.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Even though the possibility of an all ISU former players now NBA head coach Finals would be cool. I want Fred to stay right here in Ames. He has unfinished business to take care of...

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
He's gone.

No way he would take that job. Nobody in their right mind would. The person who takes it will be gone in a year or two bc they will be bad.

Very similar situation that Floyd faced and we know how that ended.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I was JUST thinking of CFH yesterday and Pollard's bold move. How crazy is it that a few years ago, he was CFH was a suit in an NBA office with no experience coaching...now, his name comes up in both college and pro openings?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
He's gone.

I don't think it will be that dire, because the C's are being very honest about being in rebuilding mode. You can't sell off all your assets like you're going out of business and then blame the new coach if you're not winning in 2 years. Now if they win the Wiggins sweepstakes and can't turn into a competitive playoff team in 4-5 years, that's a different story. That being said, I can't see Fred taking on another rebuilding job before he's had the chance to enjoy the fruits of his rebuilding job at ISU.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
He's gone.

Or...he could take the job because it is one of professional sports most storied franchises and they have a ton of draft picks in the next 2 years where he could bring in guys to fit his style. I, like all of you, don't want him to leave but I've learned in my time as a Cyclone fan to not be so dismissive of these types of rumors. His contract clearly shows that he has contemplated an eventual move to the NBA. A rebuilding team with the prestige of the Celtics may be alluring...

ameslurker

Jan 21, 2013
I think he'd be crazy to go, but everyone has a price...looking at you, Cael :mad:

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
rick pitino tried rebuilding the Celtics once as well... That didn't turn out too well.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Or...he could take the job because it is one of professional sports most storied franchises and they have a ton of draft picks in the next 2 years where he could bring in guys to fit his style. I, like all of you, don't want him to leave but I've learned in my time as a Cyclone fan to not be so dismissive of these types of rumors. His contract clearly shows that he has contemplated an eventual move to the NBA. A rebuilding team with the prestige of the Celtics may be alluring...

Just my opinion, but I don't see Fred going anywhere until his kids are out of school. He's already moved them once but that was to move back home. I can't picture him moving them from the Gilbert school district to some school in suburban Boston.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
College season is short compared to NBA - when you've got young kids, I imagine that's a pretty big lifestyle change. Of course his offseason wouldn't be filled with recruiting... Who knows. While the Celtics are a huge brand, the media and fans there wouldn't have the goodwill toward Fred that he gets here in Iowa. Who knows though... I believe he and Aings are friends to some extent. I know they've been spotted together at AAU tournaments.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I suppose it's always a possibility, but I don't know that Boston is an ideal setup right now. Ange has always shown an itchy trigger finger and doesn't appear to have much loyalty towards players - at various points over the last couple years he tried to deal KG, Ray Allen, PP, and Rondo, the core guys of the franchise. If you're a Celts fan that has to be the scariest part of the ensuing rebuild job - does Danny Ainge have the patience to stay the course or is this going to be a haphazard effort that goes in starts and fits?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
If you think NBA teams won't fire a coach bc they know they are in rebuilding mode then you don't know the NBA. The next coach will not be given 4-5 years. Unless of course they somehow get that rag tag group to the playoffs.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
CFH won't go now to that job. Team is gutting and will take a few years to rebuild and the job is considerably more stressful which wouldn't be good for his heart. CFH isn't going. On the flip side, this is great for recruiting because it shows recruits that NBA teams think he has what it takes to be successful in their league. Recruits should see this that ISU is a good path to the NBA. It should peek the interest of high level recruits.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
No doubt in my mind he coaches in the NBA, but something tells me it will be years down the road when he feels he has either elevated ISU basketball as a program or has accomplished the most he feels he can in Ames.