Kim Mulkey to miss an NCAA Tournament game

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
They had to do something more since she pretty much baited them by saying in the press conference that she didn't care if she got fined.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
How do you only win 1 national championship with essentially shaq on your team.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Shes a loser. You can tell what BFs opinion of her is after the way the ISU-BU Big 12 Championship game went down and she ran up the score. He did the quickest blow by handshake. I don't wish for someone to get hurt ever but I wouldnt have been opposed if Griner would have gotten hurt when Mulkey left her in the entire game despite destroying us.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
USA Today trying to make her look more coordinated than she really is

After the call, Mulkey tore off her blazer and stormed toward the officials in protest but did not earn a technical foul.

752557668.gif

"Attempted to tear off but didn't know where her arm holes were" would be better wording.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
USA Today trying to make her look more coordinated than she really is

752557668.gif

"Attempted to tear off but didn't know where her arm holes were" would be better wording.

There a plenty of coaches that could instruct her on the proper technique for removing and tossing the jacket. Tim Floyd for example!

And it is not like the pros aren't going to get physical with Griner:
Lynx stifle Brittney Griner with physical team defense

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
They are taking it easy on her. I think it is because she stated that she didn't care. A ten game suspension wouldn't have met anything to her at all. Being kicked out of her coaching position wouldn't even have phased her. When you know that your penalties will have absolutely no effect, then the penalty just becomes a gesture. I am surprised they penalized her at all, she obviously possesses a moral stature far greater than the NCAA or anyone else for that matter.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Also interesting that the NCAA isn't reimbursing Baylor for the trip to Regionals. That can't be easy on the budget.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
mitten, they didn't penalize her, they gave her a pat on the wrist (notice I did not say slap) for actions that would have gotten other coaches much more punishment. The governing body lets top scholl coaches get by with many infractions.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
That gif never ceases to make me smile as I remember it all unfolding on the tv. I did a great impression of it for my co-workers the next day. But the suspension means very little. It's basically a token symbol from the NCAA that says, "see, we can follow through on something."

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
That gif never ceases to make me smile as I remember it all unfolding on the tv. I did a great impression of it for my co-workers the next day. But the suspension means very little. It's basically a token symbol from the NCAA that says, "see, we can follow through on something."

Agree and punishment is great but meaningless because Baylor will still be a high seed and the first round opp. will be a joke.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
There a plenty of coaches that could instruct her on the proper technique for removing and tossing the jacket. Tim Floyd for example!

And it is not like the pros aren't going to get physical with Griner:
Lynx stifle Brittney Griner with physical team defense

I said all along that Delle Donne was the one I would draft, all around game, inside, 3 point shooting, dribble drive.... and she has size. Griner is great, but Delle Donne is a much better athlete and all-around versatile player.

Delle Donne is averaging 20 pts a game
Griner 15

Though Britney's shot blocking skills are also a great weapon to have, but in the pros, you can't wander as much like she did in college.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I dont know im no mulkey fan but i think it might be a bit extreme. If the penalty is usually just a fine, i dont see anything wrong with making the public decision that it is worth the fine to speak your mind. I also dont know that there should be game suspensions for that sort of thing either, refs already have too much protection imo just with the fines. It doesnt really penalize mulkey either as everyone's saying, but could have much more effect on a lower level coach.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I dont know im no mulkey fan but i think it might be a bit extreme. If the penalty is usually just a fine, i dont see anything wrong with making the public decision that it is worth the fine to speak your mind. I also dont know that there should be game suspensions for that sort of thing either, refs already have too much protection imo just with the fines. It doesnt really penalize mulkey either as everyone's saying, but could have much more effect on a lower level coach.

Including a probation (or warning of a probation for next time) might help. She needs to know that there will be escalating consequences. Then, they need to be enforced.

And the refs have to get over their intimidation of her. She doesn't bite . . . at least not yet.