Seizures in dogs

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
My dog had two seizures last night/early this morning. She's had 4 in the last month but none before that. It scares the crap out of me and my kids are totally freaked out. My vet says there's nothing they can do. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis
My dog had two seizures last night/early this morning. She's had 4 in the last month but none before that. It scares the crap out of me and my kids are totally freaked out. My vet says there's nothing they can do. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Our dog also has seizures. She has pills that we give her twice a day from the vet to help prevent them. The pills definitely help a lot, but doesn't totally prevent them.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I had a miniature collie that had seizures. The vet said it was common in kennels with too much inbreeding. He was also constantly thirsty (would drink a five gallon bucket if you put it in front of him)

It started on a night of a huge ice storm where branches were falling all around the house. Not sure if he was traumatized by that or what. After that, it usually happened at night when he had been sleeping.

He would lose control of his bowels and flop around in it. Was pretty terrible to watch, and all you could do was hold him until it was over. He didn't seem to be all there after a while, especially right after a seizure.

I really feel for you. That is hard to go through.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
My sister's lab used to have seizures, but they figured out that either the coloring or ingredients in some dog treats were triggering them.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I went trough this not that long ago (in fact I made a post about it here)

Since the first weekend with seizures she has been on phenobarbital twice a day and has not had a seizure in 2 years or so now. The vet also gave me a prescription of doggy volume to give to the dog in the event of another seizure.

The vet has been checking blood levels twice a year since, and we have upped the dosage once in the last couple years. Medication for my 80 lbs dog is about 10-15 a month.

isudoc03

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2006
If she has had four in the past month, she needs to be on medication. Phenobarbital is the drug most veterinarians will start with to try and gain control of the seizures. The meds won't completely eliminate the seizures, some dogs will still have 3-4 seizures per year but they are usually less severe. If your vet says there is nothing he/she can do, then you need to go see a different vet. Seizures are scary but the majority of the time they can be controlled.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I have a pug who has had seizures. He went through a phase where he had several in a short period of time when he was about 5 but then they stopped on their own. Now he only has one occasionally - I think he's had one in the last year.

It's no fun, for sure.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Side note for other people with this problem, Since the first 2 days my dog has not had any seizures at all. My vet does not recommend taking my dog off the medication ever. I was just wondering what if the cause of the seizures were environmental and not something she needs to be on all the time. It is not much in the grand scheme but it would be nice if I could get to the point that I am not paying $500 year for medication and testings for something that has not happened in over 2 years now.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
If she has had four in the past month, she needs to be on medication. Phenobarbital is the drug most veterinarians will start with to try and gain control of the seizures. The meds won't completely eliminate the seizures, some dogs will still have 3-4 seizures per year but they are usually less severe. If your vet says there is nothing he/she can do, then you need to go see a different vet. Seizures are scary but the majority of the time they can be controlled.

To be fair, it was after the first one that the vet said he couldn't do anything. We have an appointment today and they're going to do blood work. But, he could at least have mentioned the medicine if it got worse. Anyway, thanks. Hopefully they'll figure something out today.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
One of mine had seizures about once a month - typically triggered when someone came home or rang the door bell - she just got really excited. She has been on potasimbromide (sp?) for two years - liquid medicine i put in her breakfast. I haven't had any more seizures for the past 2 years. The cost is about what Cytech said $10/month (well worth it, because they are scary).

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I went trough this not that long ago (in fact I made a post about it here)

Since the first weekend with seizures she has been on phenobarbital twice a day and has not had a seizure in 2 years or so now. The vet also gave me a prescription of doggy volume to give to the dog in the event of another seizure.

The vet has been checking blood levels twice a year since, and we have upped the dosage once in the last couple years. Medication for my 80 lbs dog is about 10-15 a month.

Sorry, I usually search before posting. Did you mean Valium? Is that for before/during or after? I'm wondering if we gave her something like that during storms if it would help.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

Also, she is very confused and unstable when she finally comes out of it. The first time she actually growled at me and started running away from me toward my kids. That was really scary. Is there anything we should do during or directly after the seizures?

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Sorry, I usually search before posting. Did you mean Valium? Is that for before/during or after? I'm wondering if we gave her something like that during storms if it would help.

Yeah that is right spelling is not my strong suit lol. The vet said to give it to her after a seizure to calm her down. You can't give it to them during you will get your hand bit off.

As for what to do in your situation I would just ask the vet, if he still says there is nothing he can do then find another vet.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Also, she is very confused and unstable when she finally comes out of it. The first time she actually growled at me and started running away from me toward my kids. That was really scary. Is there anything we should do during or directly after the seizures?

she*, sorry about that.

Probably keep the kids away (just because they're probably scared, she's scared and she doesn't know what's going on - bad combination). Be calm and quietly talk to her - and during the seizure too, she should be able to hear you.

How close is her "spot" to the outside? Like is there a basement or place further from the noise of a storm that she could be instead? I agree with others, the storm is probably getting her overexcited, but definitely see if the vet can find anything now that it's a recurring thing and not a one-off.

Last edited:

mkcrawford

Mar 20, 2006
Couple of tidbits,

First, sorry this is happening to you and your kids. We had a YLF that went through this for about 8 of her 11 years. Started when she was a puppy, put her on Phenobarb and they were controlled. The last couple years on it, she didn't have any so we took her off and she stayed seizure free for her last few years.

Phenobarb is hard on dogs organs, specifically kidneys. And I think it may have also led to our YLF's cartiledge decay in her knee joints.

During the seizures, we would hold her and talk to her. Previous poster is right, they can still hear you during the episode.

Vet told us that each seizure affected the dog the same as a human running a marathon. Our YLF was extremely tired following her seizures and would not eat.

All the best to you and your family as you go through this.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Couple of tidbits,

First, sorry this is happening to you and your kids. We had a YLF that went through this for about 8 of her 11 years. Started when she was a puppy, put her on Phenobarb and they were controlled. The last couple years on it, she didn't have any so we took her off and she stayed seizure free for her last few years.

Phenobarb is hard on dogs organs, specifically kidneys. And I think it may have also led to our YLF's cartiledge decay in her knee joints.

During the seizures, we would hold her and talk to her. Previous poster is right, they can still hear you during the episode.

Vet told us that each seizure affected the dog the same as a human running a marathon. Our YLF was extremely tired following her seizures and would not eat.

All the best to you and your family as you go through this.

Thanks. My dog is extremely hungry following her episodes. She will eat in a few minutes what she would normally easy in a day.