Uh oh, Hoks

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
This thread....Be careful throwing stones from inside your glass house.

aauummm

March is National Celery Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I thought things in Iowa City were being done "the right way." I guess not.

Records show several NCAA violations in UI Athletics Department | Hawk Central

I like how the Register said that coaches "accidently" made some illegal calls and texts. I don't believe that they used that dismissive term in regards to ISU's calls although the situations were the same.

"The University of Iowa Athletics Department reported several NCAA and Big Ten Conference violations, many of them accidental calls or text messages, between Aug. 10, 2012 and May 15, 2013, according to documents provided by UI through a public records request."

Last edited:

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
-An audit of the athletics department between August 2011 and December 2012 found that the recruiting materials for women’s and men’s basketball, football, men’s and women’s swimming and field hockey did not meet NCAA bylaws because, in some cases, their envelopes and postcards contained a URL, which is considered a logo, not part of a return address. The recruiting materials had been used for years, but legislative changes that took effect Aug. 1, 2010 made them impermissible.

Wow. They are getting desperate to win. I hate cheaters.

Reactions: ISUagger

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
-An audit of the athletics department between August 2011 and December 2012 found that the recruiting materials for women’s and men’s basketball, football, men’s and women’s swimming and field hockey did not meet NCAA bylaws because, in some cases, their envelopes and postcards contained a URL, which is considered a logo, not part of a return address. The recruiting materials had been used for years, but legislative changes that took effect Aug. 1, 2010 made them impermissible.

Wow. They are getting desperate to win. I hate cheaters.

It appears that the latest violations are in addition to the above ones.

"The University of Iowa Athletics Department reported several NCAA and Big Ten Conference violations, many of them accidental calls or text messages, between Aug. 10, 2012 and May 15, 2013, according to documents provided by UI through a public records request."

CyJam

Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO
It appears that the latest violations are in addition to the above ones.

Butt dials.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I was really hoping there wouldn't be a thread on this. Ignoring this would have been a nice statement.

RunDMCyclone

Jun 9, 2013
12 Grimmauld Place
This one probably deserves the death penalty!

-On Sept. 8, 2012, Assistant Track and Field Coach Clive Roberts received a text message from an unknown number. He replied “Who is this?” and learned it was a current 2013 prospective student-athlete.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This one probably deserves the death penalty!

-On Sept. 8, 2012, Assistant Track and Field Coach Clive Roberts received a text message from an unknown number. He replied “Who is this?” and learned it was a current 2013 prospective student-athlete.

My favorite was the "OK" text to acknowledge receipt of a text from the recruit that was coming to visit. So you can't acknowledge the recruit when he is updating you on his travel plans. Nice job, NCAA.

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
These are not a big deal at all. I just hope they keep the more annoying members of the hawk fan base from being quite as annoying with our problems.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I was really hoping there wouldn't be a thread on this. Ignoring this would have been a nice statement.

I thought about this for about five seconds, because you're right, being the bigger man is always the right call. In the end, I couldnt let it go without saying something. Not after seeing the way phonebillgate played out on HNation and in the Reg.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
NCAA contact rules are silly right now. Both the Hawks & Cyclones should see relative slaps on the wrist - so should probably 99.5% of the rest of the NCAA affiliated teams under current rules.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I thought about this for about five seconds, because you're right, being the bigger man is always the right call. In the end, I couldnt let it go without saying something. Not after seeing the way phonebillgate played out on HNation and in the Reg.

This is amusing to me for two reasons:

a) there was already a thread on this topic so you didn't need to post anything at all.

b) your homerism somehow makes you lump secondary and major infractions together and call them the same thing.

For the record, I thought at the time and still think that ISU's infractions weren't a huge deal and shouldn't cause fans to worry about severe penalties.

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
This is amusing to me for two reasons:

a) there was already a thread on this topic so you didn't need to post anything at all.

b) your homerism somehow makes you lump secondary and major infractions together and call them the same thing.

For the record, I thought at the time and still think that ISU's infractions weren't a huge deal and shouldn't cause fans to worry about severe penalties.

Isn't that previous thread in a restricted forum such as the "Political Forum"? I know that's what it tells me when I try to go to it. We also have to remember that the explanations (lies) for the violations were carefully, craftily conjured up by the SUI legal defense team ((the same legal defense team that handled the PR (attempted coverup) on SUI's rape cases and stolen credit card case, etc.)).

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I hope every school sends in all of there stupid little rules they broke. Just kill the NCAA with stupid violations and show them just how stupid they are. basically overwhelm them with crap rules they broke.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I hope every school sends in all of there stupid little rules they broke. Just kill the NCAA with stupid violations and show them just how stupid they are. basically overwhelm them with crap rules they broke.

This is pretty much what happens now.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
What we should be focused on here is the fact that Bobby Elliot had nothing to do with these violations. How do I know that? BECAUSE BOBBY'S INTEGRITY IS ABOVE QUESTION, YOU STUPID CLOWNFANS!

Or so the Register tells me.