Corey Ihmels to Boise State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Seeing it all over Twitter. Big loss for ISU T&F and CC.

Looks like story broke by @BJRains on Twitter, Idaho Press-Tribune writer

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Wow - wonder what happened. Here's his quote from the Boise State website -didn't know he lived there at one time there prior to ISU: "After having lived and trained in Boise as a distance runner, I strongly believe that the programs at Boise State can become a national powerhouse," Ihmels said. "With everything that the University and the city have to offer, there is an incredible amount of untapped potential for these programs. I am excited to bring my passion for developing national-class track and field and cross country student-athletes to Boise State."

Last edited:

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
if there's bad news at iowa state, I know tornado man will be there to tell me all about it.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I hope our distance program doesn't slip. I am sure the draw of coaching Emma Bates helped sway his opinion. Adding another name like that to his resume of coached athletes would definitely enhance things. Several other AAs returning as well. Its possible that this just turned into a Sanderson situation where Boise came with a check that ISU couldn't meet. Plus we lose a fair amount of talent after this season on Women and our Men's team has been a couple of steps behind them for a while. I love our distance identity and we are likely not going to get the sprinters to come up North when powerhouse programs are going after them. Distance athletes help out in two sports and three seasons... hopefully we can nab a good name to continue that development.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Yeah this really really sucks for our Athletic department as a whole. How many points did M&W T&F and XC contribute to directors cup? A lot.

I wonder what our budget is for all the sports he was coaching? He got a brand new state of the art outdoor track, a really good indoor track, and an excellent XC course close to campus.

Must be salary? You'd think we could pony up a few more bucks than Boisie St?!

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Its possible that this just turned into a Sanderson situation where Boise came with a check that ISU couldn't meet

EADA Search

According to the EADA website, in 2011-2012 BSU's AD spent $26,862,366. ISU's AD spent $55,154,127. For reference, PSU'S AD spent $94,201,202.

I can see PSU coming with a check that ISU can't match. But BSU???

Losing head coaches to a school with an AD budget like BSU's over money would be embarrassing, no matter what the sport is. I would really like to know the scoop behind this one.

Last edited:

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Unless Boise State really upped the salary for Corey, the salary looks comparable. Actually less at Boise.

Looks like Ihmels made $122K at ISU last year.

JW Hardy was making $95,000 at Boise in FY2010, which is the last data I could find. $85,010 base salary.
Corey would have been at $105K in 2010.

If it was money, what would it take for ISU not to match? $200K + ?

Definitely seems sudden.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
From Pollard to the athletes forwarded Track/CC letterwinners.

Dear Cross Country and Track and Field Student Athletes,

As many of you recently heard, Coach Ihmels has decided to leave Iowa State University for another coaching position. While we are certainly sad to see Corey leave Iowa State University, we also respect his personal decision and desire to live in that part of the country.

I also realize many of you have concerns and questions about what the future holds for each of you and for our program. Although there will be more questions than answers in the short term, I want each of you to take comfort in the following:

1. There is not another program in the country that has an Athletics Administration that cares about and knows more about your sport than our administration.
  2. You have my personal commitment that hiring a new coach is going to be our number one focus. In fact, I have already been in contact with several potential coaches and I am confident we will find a coach that will not only continue our outstanding tradition, but will help elevate our program to the next level.

We are not the first program nor are we the last program to experience a change in our head coach. We will get through this together and we will have a new coach on board as quickly as possible.

If you have any specific questions or concerns, please direct them to Calli Sanders (csanders@iastate.edu) or 515-294-3706. Calli will serve as the point person for most of your questions as I will be dedicating my time to conducting the search for our new head coach.

Go Cyclones!

Jamie Pollard
Director of Athletics

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
From Pollard to the athletes forwarded Track/CC letterwinners.

Dear Cross Country and Track and Field Student Athletes,

1. There is not another program in the country that has an Athletics Administration that cares about and knows more about your sport than our administration.

Jamie Pollard
Director of Athletics
This is so true - thanks for the post!

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Corey built the success of our program on international recruits (he inherited Lisa Kohl). He'll have an easier time getting those recruits admitted to Boise State than he did to Iowa State.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I must have missed the part of that e-mail that said "Open Letter to Everyone on Cyclone Fanatic".