Iowa sports coverage

CyofClive

Nov 21, 2010
What's with all the Iowa sports coverage, almost daily in the Des Moines Register for the last two months. From Spring football and basketball to Chris Street and Jim Zabel. A lot of there stories get up to two pages of coverage. ISU got a lot of negative coverage when they had the telephone scandal going on. Am I the only one seeing this? I think I am ready to drop the Register!

K

KFitzy87

The Rag may indeed have a bit of a bias. But newspapers report the news... For awhile, Iowa's basketball team was the only one still playing (albeit in the NIT), Chris Street gets coverage every year, and Zabel passing away is of course going to get coverage.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
No worries, ISU has had a better on-field/court performance the past year, so that's all that matters.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I dropped THAT paper about a month ago. I stopped a Dahl's yesterday and they're giving away the paper away and offering a cheap subscription and $10 gift card to Dahl's. That'll teach them for treating the Cyclones more times than not in negative reporting unlike that eastern university.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
What's with all the Iowa sports coverage, almost daily in the Des Moines Register for the last two months. From Spring football and basketball to Chris Street and Jim Zabel. A lot of there stories get up to two pages of coverage. ISU got a lot of negative coverage when they had the telephone scandal going on. Am I the only one seeing this? I think I am ready to drop the Register!

What do you need the Register for? Seriously.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Register circulation plummets (again).

Far fewer people are buying the print edition, where subscribers are also forced to pay for the electronic edition whether they want it or not. And — now that it costs money — far fewer people are browsing the electronic edition, as compared with a year ago.

The combined print and digital paid circulation for the Sunday Register averaged 171,287 in the six months ended March 31, according to the newspaper’s audited reports. That’s down a whopping 14.6 percent from the 200,660 of a year earlier.

The Monday-Friday circulation — print and digital — in the latest period averaged 93,304, down 8.5 percent from the 101,915 of a year before. ...

The figures indicate the Des Moines newspapers’ pricing strategy isn’t working. While print subscribers, forced also to buy the electronic edition, are leaving in droves, digital-only subscriptions remain anemic. In the latest period, the daily Register reported just 6,812 digital-only subscribers, and the vast majority of those buy a digital edition that includes only “select advertising content†from the print edition. In other words, more than 5,000 of the 93,304 daily subscribers are not getting most of the ads. ...

Perhaps most alarming for Register executives is the sharp drop in the number of people who browse the newspaper’s website. According to the Register, the number of “unique browsers†on the paper’s website in January totaled 1,599,790 — down 36 percent from the 2,503,724 of a year earlier, when the website was free. (That’s a self-reported, unaudited figure.) The paper also reported large drops for February and March.

The Register’s figures for the metro area are equally bad. .........

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
No worries, ISU has had a better on-field/court performance the past year, so that's all that matters.
According to Iowa coaches and fans, they had the better season because they played in the NIT national championship.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I live in CR and the Gazette coverage has been comical this summer. The are constantly covering Iowa's "Glory Days" with gripping headlines like "Ex- Hawks in NFL" or "Top 10 Ferentz coached games". The only coverage the upcoming season is getting is when they announce kick off times. The casual Iowa fan is as disinterested as I've ever seen them.

RoseBowlBound

Sep 13, 2011
Iowa City via WDM
I live in CR and the Gazette coverage has been comical this summer. The are constantly covering Iowa's "Glory Days" with gripping headlines like "Ex- Hawks in NFL" or "Top 10 Ferentz coached games". The only coverage the upcoming season is getting is when they announce kick off times. The casual Iowa fan is as disinterested as I've ever seen them.

To be fair a lot of that stuff is offseason blog work much like you'd find in the Ames Trib.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

People still buy the Register?