A New Era in WBB?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I'm going to say up front that the kool aid provided by the commit from Durr has me a bit giddy...so be forewarned!

A new era? I'm going back to an interview with Coach Fennelly after the loss to Georgia in the NCAA's. He talked with quite a bit of emotion about last year and what this year's team did for him. He went from considering retirement (after last year) to having this year's team rejuvenate his desire to be a part of this game. (Cyclones.tv - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports) Start at about the 5:50 mark. He talks about getting back something he thought that he had lost. Its worth seeing again or watching for the first time.

So, when I read that Coach Fen was literally shaking...heck, I'll just share the quote from the Tribune. “He was so excited, he started shaking actually,â€￾ said Durr, who gave Fennelly the pledge after an unofficial visit to Ames with her parents. “His hands were trembling, he was so excited. I could tell he really wanted me here.â€￾
(
http://amestrib.com/sections/sports/isu-cyclones/women%E2%80%99s-basketball-2014-guard-prospect-durr-verbally-commits-isu.html)

I tell you what, that is passion. That is someone who is so cardinal and gold that he bleeds for this school.

Now I look at the quality of recruits that are coming our way. We are getting kids unlike any that we've had in quite some time. In Buckley we get one of the top guards in the country (#7 I believe). In Johnson we get a five year starter called the best player in Minnesota. Now we have someone like Durr who, with her folks, figured things out in a hurry and committed to be a part of something special. This is a new era. I think we can officially say that we may be primed to watch another era similar to what we had from the late 90's to the early 00's.

I've never been a Bill Fennelly doubter, but it was easy to see how last year was so tough for him. Now's not the time to rehash that. But what I will say is...our coach is reborn. That fire is burning even brighter and hotter. When that happens look out. There are good things a comin'. I'm enjoying this flavor of kool aid. Let's keep it stocked.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
There is no bigger ambassador of Iowa State than Bill Fennelly. As I've said before, when out in public, his head is always up, smiling, looking people in the eye, eager or willing to engage in conversation, avoiding no one. And our fan support for a program that is not "elite" is amazing. And the women who represent the program are poised, articulate, and classy.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
I have always thought we were a just couple of players away from the really big time. While we've had special teams, and players who I would not trade for anyone, taking the next step for this program has been elusive. It sounds like we might finally get enough uniquely talented players on the floor at the same time to do it.

What's even more exciting is to see what Fennelly does with them as a team. He has done amazing things with modest overall talent. He has coached top talent on national teams to gold medals. Fun to imagine what's ahead.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
kool1.jpg

well said acoustimac

ARSON

Apr 9, 2006
I'm going to say up front that the kool aid provided by the commit from Durr has me a bit giddy...so be forewarned!

A new era? I'm going back to an interview with Coach Fennelly after the loss to Georgia in the NCAA's. He talked with quite a bit of emotion about last year and what this year's team did for him. He went from considering retirement (after last year) to having this year's team rejuvenate his desire to be a part of this game. (Cyclones.tv - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - [url]www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports[/URL]) Start at about the 5:50 mark. He talks about getting back something he thought that he had lost. Its worth seeing again or watching for the first time.

So, when I read that Coach Fen was literally shaking...heck, I'll just share the quote from the Tribune. “He was so excited, he started shaking actually,” said Durr, who gave Fennelly the pledge after an unofficial visit to Ames with her parents. “His hands were trembling, he was so excited. I could tell he really wanted me here.”
(
http://amestrib.com/sections/sports/isu-cyclones/women%E2%80%99s-basketball-2014-guard-prospect-durr-verbally-commits-isu.html)

I tell you what, that is passion. That is someone who is so cardinal and gold that he bleeds for this school.

Now I look at the quality of recruits that are coming our way. We are getting kids unlike any that we've had in quite some time. In Buckley we get one of the top guards in the country (#7 I believe). In Johnson we get a five year starter called the best player in Minnesota. Now we have someone like Durr who, with her folks, figured things out in a hurry and committed to be a part of something special. This is a new era. I think we can officially say that we may be primed to watch another era similar to what we had from the late 90's to the early 00's.

I've never been a Bill Fennelly doubter, but it was easy to see how last year was so tough for him. Now's not the time to rehash that. But what I will say is...our coach is reborn. That fire is burning even brighter and hotter. When that happens look out. There are good things a comin'. I'm enjoying this flavor of kool aid. Let's keep it stocked.

The 14 class now has 3 gals that really will be more than "role" players in their potential if they take the great coaching they will get! Lands 2 more of that quality and playing for Conference championships return!
Add to it that Ms Baylor lost her Houston super recruiter (ama$ing how that happens once Griner is gone and the PG is already there) and we will see a much more balanced but still rugged 12

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The 14 class now has 3 gals that really will be more than "role" players in their potential if they take the great coaching they will get! Lands 2 more of that quality and playing for Conference championships return!
Add to it that Ms Baylor lost her Houston super recruiter (ama$ing how that happens once Griner is gone and the PG is already there) and we will see a much more balanced but still rugged 12

She is down two assistants. Saw this on another board and liked it: "Kim needs to have room on staff for the new AAU coaches of her players."

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
She is down two assistants. Saw this on another board and liked it: "Kim needs to have room on staff for the new AAU coaches of her players."

Personally, it sounds like NCAA investigation time. Especially if he hires the AAU coach to get the big Texas post.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Personally, it sounds like NCAA investigation time. Especially if he hires the AAU coach to get the big Texas post.

It is unethical as all get out but the NCAA isn't going to do anything, too hard to PROVE you hired someone just get get the player. Jeez, Danny Mannings dad got hired and they didn't do anything.

Besides, the NCAA is busy busy busy reviewing our ISU phone logs of unanswered calls. :no:

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I dont follow womens bball to much but ive always thought that if they are able to get a team together that can make an elite 8 and a final four or 2 a couple years in a row, it will snow ball from there. If that can happen I think people will talk about Tennesee Uconn and ISU as the top 3 teams each year because of how well our fans support the team and how great Bill seems to be.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I dont follow womens bball to much but ive always thought that if they are able to get a team together that can make an elite 8 and a final four or 2 a couple years in a row, it will snow ball from there. If that can happen I think people will talk about Tennesee Uconn and ISU as the top 3 teams each year because of how well our fans support the team and how great Bill seems to be.

Our best stretch was a three year period of Elite 8, Sweet 16, Sweet 16 and that did established us as a top 25-30 program but it was never parleyed into sustained recruiting to move up and become a Top 10 team. During that 1999-2001 period I thought we were on our way to perennial success at that level and that I might see a Final Four with ISU in it. It could still happen and I hope it does, I just no longer expect it. Of course we will always have a punchers chance (or shooters chance) since we are back to making the NCAAs every year. One area we are ELITE in is our Final Four level fan base that rivals that of any of the elite programs.