List of Worst College Professors

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Their basis for that list was ratemyprofessors.com. So, yeah, that's not a real list.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I could see this based on my friends experiences in the engineering school.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Does ISU have too many old fogies that grade tough or what is the theory?

Noticed Des Moines U was rated much higher than ISU, UI, UNI.

Last edited:

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I've had some good profs and some bad profs. I feel that a person does poorly in a class and takes out their rage on ratemyprofessors.com

I've stopped using the site for that reason and just ask friends who have taken the course or had the professor before. You'll get a much more sincere response

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
yeah the list was stupid. Using RMP as your source is ridiculous....especially when, like the article pointed out, you have a high percentage of science and engineering schools on the list. Not exactly easy classes, so you'll have more students ********.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Lots of engineering/tech schools on the list. I think that's probably a factor.

Yep, Rensselaer was high on the list and it is supposedly a good engineering school.

That being said, my son has had some truly awful ISU engineering profs. His Calc 3 prof was just terrible and he wrote a scathing review of him even though he got a good grade in the class. Luckily Calc 3 is much easier than Calc 2 according to him.

ChiefCy

Aug 4, 2008
I hated the one's that simply read from the book. Sometimes I would skip the class and spend that hour with the book for that class as that was a better use of my time.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I hated the one's that simply read from the book. Sometimes I would skip the class and spend that hour with the book for that class as that was a better use of my time.

I never skipped as an undergrad, but I had one class I still regret attending. The prof started with "This textbook is written at a 7th grade level, so most of you will need to read it several times to understand it."

I got it all in one reading. His lectures just covered the highlighted terms in the book. Attending that really wasn't worth much time.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
From the link:

"It's notable that some of the universities that landed on the worst professor list are schools that specialize in science, technology and engineering, which are academically challenging."

Like, yah!

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Whiny would be accurate. For instance, Calc is part of the Math department...

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
This. Most people are unhappy with the math department here
the math department does suck here. Physics department is just as bad. Not because they are hard, but because of the class layout and teachers.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
I had an undergraduate TA for my Physics 221 class at ISU. Not only was she an undergrad, but she was an ........ (shudder) engineering student. This was the spring of '87.

She was forced out about a month before finals, and replaced with a guy who spoke English about half a degree better than he spoke the language of birds. Word on the street was that all the Physics grad students sabotaged her nonstop, and it became necessary for her to stand down just to prevent a general rebellion in that department.

Too bad, because she was really good at what she did. I can see an objection to having a non-physics student be a TA in a 300 or 400 level class, but the introductory weed-out class? I wonder if their main objection was "she's helping those kids learn the material too damn well, and we're not going to be able to weed out ANY of her kids"?

Reactions: pulse