How far does Kansas State go?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
We just saw a huge upset of arguably the most talented team top-to-bottom by a scrappy and powerful Kansas State. With Beasley looking unstoppable and the rest of the team stepping up, how far does Kansas State look to go in the post-season?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I think if they keep playing well throughout the season they have a decent shot to make it to the Sweet 16 or better.... but... Martin is their coach and there will be no home court advantage. KSU is not invincible and will go down at some point in the tournament... the only question is, how fast will it catch up with them? This is really a wildcard team.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
From what I saw of them in our game, they're still too streaky to say they go too far. I'll give them still the the Sweet 16m then the 3's etc. run out and a quality team can put a defender on Beasley and sends them home. Good team though.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
Tough to tell because their shot selection is questionable at times. They were making them tonight but if they go cold in the tournament they could be upset. One good thing is they have the definition of a go-to gamechanger in Beasley.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
From what I saw of them in our game, they're still too streaky to say they go too far. I'll give them still the the Sweet 16m then the 3's etc. run out and a quality team can put a defender on Beasley and sends them home. Good team though.

Sounds to me like Drake v. KSU would be an exciting matchup.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm not sure I'd quite call them "streaky". They do many of the things champion teams do. Rebound, defense and of course - they can score.

But if KSU continues to dominate the boards and play solid defense - I'd say at least Sweet 16.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
yes, but remember the first quarter of our game against them, we were cold, they were cold, it was just like the first half of the CU game. Can't do that against a quality opponent on a nuetral court. I would like to see Drake on a good night play them. That said though Drake doesn't have a body to put on Beasley.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
When you rebound like KSU does, you can definitely get away with it. I can't stand 'em - mostly because of their fans. But they're a fine team - one I wish we didn't have to play again.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
I'll say Elite 8, but thats it. I think the momentum will carry them and get a few good wins just like tonight.

Is Beasly another on those one and done players just to reach the requirements of teh NBA?

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Agree they are GOOD, but I still can't see them beating KU on a neutral court, or UCLA, etc. Hey I'd love if I was talking about ISU only making it to the Sweet 16 right now.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Um, yeah. I think that was "decided" the second he hit campus. His play is just moving him up higher on the food chain.
I'm an definately not a huge fan of this rule now. Its completely unfair for the other players who work hard all 4 years.

Just let them go Pro and showboat all they want. I don't need to be rewarded by the NCAA to see it for one year in college.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I guess I don't understand how it's unfair. Better athlete gets more playing time than not-as-good-of athlete. That's kinda how the game works.

IMO, it benefits the player, college ball and the NBA. It's not like Texas, KSU or the other teams didn't know what they were getting - each expected the one-and-done from their respective stars. The job of a good coach is to recruit over the people you currently have, if possible.

I'd gladly take one of these guys in Ames.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
I'm an definately not a huge fan of this rule now. Its completely unfair for the other players who work hard all 4 years.

Just let them go Pro and showboat all they want. I don't need to be rewarded by the NCAA to see it for one year in college.

See also: Kwame Brown

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
I guess I look at it in the respect of building a team and not a one man show. When a player is solely coming in for one year and then gone, this builds nothing. I like the story of dynasties. Get dominate teams for mulitple years instead of just one. I really think its changing the way of college basketball. Plus it takes scholarships away. Maybe not from someone who really needs it, but then again maybe it does.

Difference of opinion I guess.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I personally think it should be a two year rule instead of one. It helps build a little more education for the athlete in case things don't go stellar in the NBA but it also helps the team more for giving that player a spot.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I guess I look at it in the respect of building a team and not a one man show. When a player is solely coming in for one year and then gone, this builds nothing. I like the story of dynasties. Get dominate teams for mulitple years instead of just one. I really think its changing the way of college basketball. Plus it takes scholarships away. Maybe not from someone who really needs it, but then again maybe it does.

Difference of opinion I guess.

I would take Beasley or Durant for one year over not at all, 1000 times over.

If a kid deserves a scholarship he'll get it somewhere. Dynasties are pretty much a thing of the past anyway - it really doesn't happen anymore. Great players win games and so they try to get the best players regardless of how long they stay. If Brackins improves a ton next year and goes pro, does that mean it was a mistake to recruit him? No way.

Stuff like Florida winning it 2 years in a row just doesn't happen anymore because 99% of those guys all go pro after they win the first one.

If Walker keeps playing this well, he's probably gone after this year too.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
I would take Beasley or Durant for one year over not at all, 1000 times over.

If a kid deserves a scholarship he'll get it somewhere. Dynasties are pretty much a thing of the past anyway - it really doesn't happen anymore. Great players win games and so they try to get the best players regardless of how long they stay. If Brackins improves a ton next year and goes pro, does that mean it was a mistake to recruit him? No way.

Stuff like Florida winning it 2 years in a row just doesn't happen anymore because 99% of those guys all go pro after they win the first one.

If Walker keeps playing this well, he's probably gone after this year too.

Would you rather have a guy like Beasley that is one and done or a guy like Rahshon that is really solid for 4 years? That would be a difficult one for me that would depend on the supporting cast we had for the team.