One World Trade Center to Pass Willis Tower tomorrow

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Don't they have lots of criteria to determine the tallest building, such as tallest observatory? Surely there is some way that you can keep your title.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
Don't they have lots of criteria to determine the tallest building, such as tallest observatory? Surely there is some way that you can keep your title.

I don't have an article to back me up but it is a completely screwed up system to judge the height of buildings. If the antennae has a purpose (TV signal, cell signal, etc) then it does not count towards the height. If it is done for aesthetics it will count as a part of the building. Very odd.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I don't have an article to back me up but it is a completely screwed up system to judge the height of buildings. If the antennae has a purpose (TV signal, cell signal, etc) then it does not count towards the height. If it is done for aesthetics it will count as a part of the building. Very odd.

So you hold on to your title. Just need to add an asterisk!

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
I'm out of the loop. I didn't know that it was no longer called the Sears Tower.

Haha I know. My girlfriend and I took a tour of Chicago about a year ago and the guide kept telling everyone to look at the view of Willis Tower, during various stops, and I kept thinking, WTF is Willis Tower? This tour guide is off his rocker...

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

Yeah, I remember this being a big stink here in Chicago as the first building that surpassed the (then Sears) Willis Tower was considered taller, because of some decorative spire they put on it, even though, the Sears Tower still had a couple of floors advantage on it. If I were the Owners of the Willis Tower now, I'd be at an architectural firm right now, coming up with a big decoration to stick on the top of it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yeah, I remember this being a big stink here in Chicago as the first building that surpassed the (then Sears) Willis Tower was considered taller, because of some decorative spire they put on it, even though, the Sears Tower still had a couple of floors advantage on it. If I were the Owners of the Willis Tower now, I'd be at an architectural firm right now, coming up with a big decoration to stick on the top of it.

There have been numerous building plans for Chicago buildings that would top Willis/Sears that have stalled, at one point Trump Tower was supposed to be taller but ended up second in the US to Sears. I wouldn't be shocked if a new Chicago building has at least the US record again even if Sears/Willis retained it for now.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I was walking about two blocks from the Sears Tower when I learned about the World Trade Center attacks. Needless to say, I picked up my pace and kept an eye looking upward for planes. And I remember thinking that it was the end of super high-rise buildings because the market wouldn't support the risk. Glad I was wrong. And really cool that it is happening at the World Trade Center site.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
Check out this behemoth. It has run into some financial problems and the project is on hold right now. There is a giant hold already dug and the foundation has been set. It's a few blocks from Navy Pier. 150 freaking stories...it would certainly be a thing of beauty if it ever starts up again.

Chicago Spire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[video=youtube;8dlVatAh_jA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dlVatAh_jA[/video]

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Check out this behemoth. It has run into some financial problems and the project is on hold right now. There is a giant hold already dug and the foundation has been set. It's a few blocks from Navy Pier. 150 freaking stories...it would certainly be a thing of beauty if it ever starts up again.

Spectacular building. During sunset, it would cast an incredible shadow down on Navy Pier.

And it would make an incredible bookend to that section of the Chicago River (with Trump being another farther inland before the river bends).

It also seems to have some strange features. For instance, it seems that the windows are bowed inward and some views would be blocked by the twisting "supports."

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

Chicago Spire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[video=youtube;8dlVatAh_jA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dlVatAh_jA[/video]

Damn! I wonder how much a penthouse condo would cost in that bad boy... Where is the foundation set at?

Edit: nevermind, I just wikipedia'd it. That would have been pretty sweet though.

Last edited:

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I was walking about two blocks from the Sears Tower when I learned about the World Trade Center attacks. Needless to say, I picked up my pace and kept an eye looking upward for planes. And I remember thinking that it was the end of super high-rise buildings because the market wouldn't support the risk. Glad I was wrong. And really cool that it is happening at the World Trade Center site.

At the time my sister lived a block and a half from the John Hancock building and my girl friend at the time's mom worked in the Sears tower.

Needless to say we were both a little concerned when all the reports were that those two buildings could be targeted with so many planes still in the air.

But I agree with the location of the new building. I love that they put a bigger taller building back in that area. When my kids are a little older I want to go see the whole site.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
At the time my sister lived a block and a half from the John Hancock building and my girl friend at the time's mom worked in the Sears tower.

Needless to say we were both a little concerned when all the reports were that those two buildings could be targeted with so many planes still in the air.

But I agree with the location of the new building. I love that they put a bigger taller building back in that area. When my kids are a little older I want to go see the whole site.

The 9/11 Memorial site with waterfalls flowing into holes the size of the twin tower bases is pretty powerful.

The museum building that looks like a plane crashing or a boat capsizing is really disturbing. It is intended to capture the image of something being raised up, but it doesn't work for me.