Jack Trice's #37 has been known for over a decade.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
If memory serves me correctly, we have known about JT's number since 1999. Steve Jones, author of Football's Fallen Hero: The Jack Trice Story, had come across it in a newspaper pre-game story while researching for the biography. I can even remember he had mentioned my older brother to wear it as his Highschool football number in honor of Trice, but the number might have already been taken.

If i can find the press clipping, I will post it on here. I would be interested to see it again myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckd4735

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
You might not have read the whole first thread. That thread was exclusively breaking the story that the number was just discovered. I have no doubt the research is interesting and informative, but the information is not new. I'm saying it has been known and am giving credit where it is due.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Has anyone taken the time to point out it is just a number on the back of a jersey.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Has anyone taken the time to point out it is just a number on the back of a jersey.

Yes, people have noticed that, that's why it's exciting.

#42, Jackie Robinson. Everyone knows it, everyone in baseball wore it the other day.

#23, Michael Jordan. Was worn by Lebron James but he stopped wearing that number out of respect to Michael.

#32, Fred Hoiberg. Dreamy.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
If memory serves me correctly, we have known about JT's number since 1999. Steve Jones, author of Football's Fallen Hero: The Jack Trice Story, had come across it in a newspaper pre-game story while researching for the biography. I can even remember he had mentioned my older brother to wear it as his Highschool football number in honor of Trice, but the number might have already been taken.

If i can find the press clipping, I will post it on here. I would be interested to see it again myself.

Steve Jones was indeed very helpful in my research. As mj4cy says here, Steve's source was a Minnesota newspaper clipping. However, since I had found multiple mistakes in newspaper accounts of the era, I was hesitant to fully trust that account and kept hunting for another source that would confirm Steve's work. In my blog post, I discuss Steve's contribution further and include a link to his book about Jack Trice. It was not my intention to solely take credit--I built my research on the contributions of others.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
Hey guys! So I did some research, and I found out I wore #10 in my AAU fall baseball league! Nine and a half years ago we won the title! but sadly the jersey is lost with only one team picture as proof

Reactions: mj4cy

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ

True.

The Statue of Liberty is just a....statue.

The Constitution is just words on a piece of paper.

The Mona Lisa is just a painting.

A crucifix is just a piece of wood.

A national flag is just a piece of cloth with geographic designs on it.

The obvious point I'm making via extreme exaggeration, is that symbols mean something because they signify deeper concepts to people. For us, I think all of us, Jack Trice embodies an ideal that signifies integrity, honor and courage in the face of ignorance and cruelty...and honoring his number is just a way to express that we think his sacrifice and character and life were important. I know you were just kidding, Cyphyllis and I don't mean to come across as over serious or over critical, just saying that there's nothing wrong with honoring the man by honoring his jersey number as symbol for who he was and what he stood for.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Steve Jones was indeed very helpful in my research. As mj4cy says here, Steve's source was a Minnesota newspaper clipping. However, since I had found multiple mistakes in newspaper accounts of the era, I was hesitant to fully trust that account and kept hunting for another source that would confirm Steve's work. In my blog post, I discuss Steve's contribution further and include a link to his book about Jack Trice. It was not my intention to solely take credit--I built my research on the contributions of others.

Your research produced the program, the most definitive proof. If the University was aware of the number in 1999 (or at any time) I would expect there to be some recognition of it. As you stated, jersey numbers in sports matter. If the AD doesn't make an effort to officially recognize and retire #37 I'll be disappointed.

D

DistrictCyclone

Adjusting for inflation, Jack Trice would wear number 492.26 were he playing today.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
hence the thread title "I figured out JTs football number"?

-keep

Reactions: LindenCy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron