BLOG: Fred Hoiberg sets trend, how it affects ISU this off-season

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
Great timing on the article chris!! Transfers gotta know who started it all and who does it best!

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I don't think everyone could have done what Fred accomplished here. Fred came up with some great innovations on offense which took advantage of these player's diverse talents and helped them to put together teams that were good and unselfish. It is difficult to imagine the difficulty of what Fred accomplished. Imagine that fool from Rutgers coaching last year's team. It would have fallen apart so fast, we probably would have been lucky with 10 wins.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
I don't think everyone could have done what Fred accomplished here. Fred came up with some great innovations on offense which took advantage of these player's diverse talents and helped them to put together teams that were good and unselfish. It is difficult to imagine the difficulty of what Fred accomplished. Imagine that fool from Rutgers coaching last year's team. It would have fallen apart so fast, we probably would have been lucky with 10 wins.

I think Fred has been given quite a bit of credit which is why he is being talked about when a coaching job opens up. I guess I wonder at what point in a coach's career the speculation stops.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I think what is special with CFH is that he approaches running the program much like an NBA team is run. You get the players you need to win now.....and yet at the same time you are building around a core group of players. The offensive innovations, out of time-out plays, spread offense, etc. are also all reflections of his NBA background.

Other teams taking and succeeding with transfers will validate Fred's methods, but I am curious to see when other schools start to higher other former NBA players, former assistant NBA coaches, or even some appropriate front office NBA personnel to be head coaches at their schools. When that happens......then both Fred's and JP's methods and success will be even more proven. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Further proof: the MVP of the championship game, Luke Hancock, is a transfer.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
One other point I would make/emphasize is that its not like Fred was taking "stable" transfers, or more typical transfers, we were taking guys with some concerns/issues. We also had previously recruited many of these players or had an "in." Its not like Fred just walks in to a big time transfer and says "I'm fred hoiberg, you're a transfer, play for me." That's how we view it sometimes, but think about who are transfers were at the time they transferred.

1-yr players:
jake anderson (from a bad mid major team)
chris allen (kicked off the team)
korie lucious (kicked off the team - relationship with DG)
will clyburn (had 30+ offers, past relationship with iowa state got him here)
Royce White (obvious issues, lucky he didn't get on that plane to UK)

2-yr players:
Booker (underachiever at a mid major)
Babb (pretty avg stats at an avg BCS basketball school - previously recruited by iowa state)

And no one other than Missouri had a shot at Oriakhi. Much like no one other than UCONN had a shot at Purvis.

He chose Mizzou over Kentucky, Xavier, Duke and North Carolina.

"This is where I wanted to go from the beginning. It was just a matter of me visiting," Oriakhi told the Star.
Oriakhi and Missouri point guard Phil Pressey played together as youths for the Boston Amateur Basketball Club.

BloodyBuddy

Mar 13, 2012
Alot of the success is due to Fred's system, Missou didn't exactly have a banner year.

Getting guys that have played a higher lever of competition, and have been developing their jump shot for a couple years. Bring in Fred to tweek their shot a bit, and bam, shooters all over the floor.

Athletic bigs have been a huge part of this sucess too. Royce and Niang drawing out bigger defenders opens up everything.

Helps to land pro prospects like Royce and Clyburn, and deadly shooters like McGee.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Alot of the success is due to Fred's system, Missou didn't exactly have a banner year.

Getting guys that have played a higher lever of competition, and have been developing their jump shot for a couple years. Bring in Fred to tweek their shot a bit, and bam, shooters all over the floor.

Athletic bigs have been a huge part of this sucess too. Royce and Niang drawing out bigger defenders opens up everything.

Helps to land pro prospects like Royce and Clyburn, and deadly shooters like McGee.

Huggy Bear had two nice transfers and they crashed & burned last year.

BlackHawk

Sep 30, 2010
I don't think anyone has/had issues with taking transfers. It's been happening long before Fred became coach. It's the transfers he brought in and why they were "transferring" that "raised eyebrows". To his credit, he seems to have kept them out of trouble for the most part. But when you're taking guys who are getting kicked out of other programs of course there are going to be some questions regarding said practice.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I don't think anyone has/had issues with taking transfers. It's been happening long before Fred became coach. It's the transfers he brought in and why they were "transferring" that "raised eyebrows". To his credit, he seems to have kept them out of trouble for the most part. But when you're taking guys who are getting kicked out of other programs of course there are going to be some questions regarding said practice.

To their credit (and even though many of us would like to know more of the details), I don't think that any of our high profile transfers under Hoiberg have thrown their previous coaches or programs under the bus, even though it is clear that there were serious issues on both sides in many cases.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
To their credit (and even though many of us would like to know more of the details), I don't think that any of our high profile transfers under Hoiberg have thrown their previous coaches or programs under the bus, even though it is clear that there were serious issues on both sides in many cases.

Yes, and if I recall correctly, Izzo has spoken well of, and recommended both MSU players who transferred to ISU.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
If ISU reaches the NCAA again next season it will appear Fred's system works regardless of who gets plugged in.

Its on odd comparison but you could say its like Mike Leach at Tech. Gonna score lots of points every season and can beat anyone in the conference.

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
One thing is for certain. This trend won't slow unless the NCAA decides to do something. This type of college free agency seems like a no-brainer for Hoiberg. And If I were Fred I would try to grab as much talent as possible in any way possible.

It isn't likely that ISU will be able to compete with other schools for premier 5-star high school talent. But, getting above average talent -with game experience- through transfers is something they can do.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I don't think you can do much more than maintain the one-year wait. It seems like that year is really tough for most who do it.

I could see some university systems creating "farm teams" whereby transfers can play right away at lower level schools while being incorporated into the system of the top level school. That would be problematic.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron