Creighton to Big East?

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Now that I live in Omaha, all the news stations keep saying that Creighton to the Big East is inevitable and that this will probably be their last year in the MVC.

Do people think that Creighton is going to be in the Big East next year or is this just the wishes of the city of Omaha?

Other than the rumors, I haven't found or read anything about this and I am getting sick of Creighton basketball being talked about like Nebraska football here in Omaha.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It will be interesting to see McDermott coach against Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova. Possibly Butler, Xavier, StL.
I tend to think they will be better than DePaul but not many of the others.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Now that I live in Omaha, all the news stations keep saying that Creighton to the Big East is inevitable and that this will probably be their last year in the MVC.

Do people think that Creighton is going to be in the Big East next year or is this just the wishes of the city of Omaha?

Other than the rumors, I haven't found or read anything about this and I am getting sick of Creighton basketball being talked about like Nebraska football here in Omaha.

I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of "when" rather than "if". The question is whether it will be next year or the year after.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
A lot of the national guys seem to think it's a done deal. Interesting to see where the Valley goes after that. I personally think adding the Summit League Dakota schools makes sense. NDSU and SDSU are recent tourney teams, geography makes sense, they know most the teams from Valley football, and there is a lot of money flowing into the state schools up in the Dakotas right now.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Depends a little bit on what ND does. They definitely need at least 10 teams.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I think they will struggle and travel will be a big change too.

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
My understanding is that the 7 catholic teams in the Big East are leaving the Big East to form a new conference called the Big East. Then other catholic teams will join and together they get to choose the new Pope. I haven't been paying much attention to this though so I could be wrong on some of it.

Reactions: LindenCy

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
They'll be in that conference whatever it ends up being called, being a private school with plenty of $, travel won't be an issue.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Notre Dame will go to ACC other than football. They are pretty competitive in some of the minor sports that will match up well with teams such as Duke.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
My understanding is that the 7 catholic teams in the Big East are leaving the Big East to form a new conference called the Big East. Then other catholic teams will join and together they get to choose the new Pope. I haven't been paying much attention to this though so I could be wrong on some of it.
I think you got it.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Then you want CU to join the new BE. That BB conference will beat them into oblivion.

Karsten21

May 4, 2012
San Antonio, TX
IMO I think CU is just playing the expansion game and making a wise move. ND will prob stick all it's sports in the new Big East and "try out" the ACC in football. No matter how badly the ACC wants them all in for football ND is going to stay independent as long as possible. Once the new playoffs start in '14 and unfold, then we'll see how it shakes out.

CUJay

Mar 11, 2013
Now that I live in Omaha...I am getting sick of Creighton basketball being talked about like Nebraska football here in Omaha.

Tank. There are two things that you need to get your head around 1) CU has a strong basketball program that is likely headed to the Big East and 2) you are going to hear about the program every season for as long as you live in Omaha. If you can't get your head around that, Council Bluffs is a short commute down the road so you can always head back in the direction you came from. I'm sure you won't be missed by your neighbors.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I haven't attended a Creighton game in the year + that I have lived here, but the thought of some bigger name commodity schools playing here does perk my interest and would probably draw me out for a few games.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
Tank. There are two things that you need to get your head around 1) CU has a strong basketball program that is likely headed to the Big East and 2) you are going to hear about the program every season for as long as you live in Omaha. If you can't get your head around that, Council Bluffs is a short commute down the road so you can always head back in the direction you came from. I'm sure you won't be missed by your neighbors.
\

Hey Matt. How ya' doin?

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Creighton is crazy to play in the Big East, the travel will kill the players as will the competition. As for CSU, pair them with BYU and add them to the Big 12.