bubble team article on ESPN

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Kansas really embarrassed themselves against Baylor. He says, "Anyway, I wouldn't be able to say any of this had Iowa State lost at West Virginia on Saturday. It didn't, and so I can." Also he should add, Kansas getting smoked by Baylor helped this cause. Kansas just isn't the team that it is billed, they lost their number 1 seed and that doesn't hurt my feelings.

CYclist

Mar 17, 2006
First off, we were not on the bubble any more. I don't really care what some of these experts say, we were in regardless of the outcome with WVU. I think they like to list as many bubble teams as possible just to increase readership. We're in.

Second, it is the first time I've seen a writer use wording that actually makes it seem like something corrupt was happening with the KU officiating. For a columnist to actually use the word diabolical when referring to the officials surprises me, but I almost think that is more realistic. Those officials couldn't have been THAT horrible, it had to be on purpose. The real question is, what was their motivation?

johnwayne

Sep 2, 2012
haha ..i posted a link on my fb to that story, highlighting both the Iowa and Iowa State parts. A hawk friend of mine questioned how ISU gets forgiven for the ku loses and Iowa doesnt for a couple of close losses they had. All I could say is "butthurt much"

D

DistrictCyclone

You know what pisses me off? That Illinois and Minnesota are considered "locks" by most of these stupid experts. I don't give a **** if they both have good RPIs and have won 20+ games overall...when you finish 2 games below .500 in conference play (tied with 15-16 Purdue) because you absolutely shat the bed as soon as January 1 rolled around, you should not ever be considered a lock. Both of them have at least 2 more losses than wins against RPI top-50 teams, and both of them have 2 losses to teams with an RPI above 100.

But both will probably get in because "ooooh, they play in the big bad Big Ten". I hate to say it, but Iowa has a legitimate gripe if the selection committee leapfrogs them to pick both Illinois and Minnesota for the NCAA while they are left for the NIT.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You know what pisses me off? That Illinois and Minnesota are considered "locks" by most of these stupid experts. I don't give a **** if they both have good RPIs and have won 20+ games overall...when you finish 2 games below .500 in conference play (tied with 15-16 Purdue) because you absolutely shat the bed as soon as January 1 rolled around, you should not ever be considered a lock. Both of them have at least 2 more losses than wins against RPI top-50 teams, and both of them have 2 losses to teams with an RPI above 100.

But both will probably get in because "ooooh, they play in the big bad Big Ten". I hate to say it, but Iowa has a legitimate gripe if the selection committee leapfrogs them to pick both Illinois and Minnesota for the NCAA while they are left for the NIT.

Iowa has at least one win over each Illinois and Minnesota, too, right?

If I were them, that would seem like an important point. Better conference record, and wins over those two teams.
It doesn't make them #1 in the Big Ten (no shame this year), but it should provide some valid comparison with teams right near them in the standings.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN

What is even worse is that many "experts" pick these two teams to make a surprise run in the NCAA.
I haven't seen much of I'll, but the gophers have been playing awful ball.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
all of the comments on that are nothing but ISU and Iowa fans trolling each other.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Absent a signature win against a legit ranked opponent, I don't see how we have much of a gripe. They have huge wins against the #1 and #2 teams in the country. We don't. If we could've closed the deal against Indiana or MSU that would've been the difference I think. Since we couldn't, and our pathetic OOC schedule, I don't think we have much to complain about. If we can beat NW and then MSU in the BTT, we'll be legitimately on the bubble. If we win the BTT, we're in. Not likely though.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Both Illinois and Minnesota had some good/great non-conference wins, which is probably why their considered "locks". Illinois winning at Gonzaga might be the best win of the year, in terms of resume.

D

DistrictCyclone

Iowa has at least one win over each Illinois and Minnesota, too, right?

Yes, although I believe Iowa only played Illinois once. Iowa should have two wins over Minnesota but they were in full-blown choke mode at Minneapolis.

I haven't seen much of I'll, but the gophers have been playing awful ball.

Illinois is nothing special. I was trying to claim they were overrated over on HN in late December because they had been shooting freakishly good, especially from beyond the arc, IIRC. I didn't think there was any way they could keep that going through conference play.

Both Illinois and Minnesota had some good/great non-conference wins, which is probably why their considered "locks". Illinois winning at Gonzaga might be the best win of the year, in terms of resume.

The problem with relying on the OOC is that those games were 3 months ago. That's an eternity for a college basketball team. I believe that games later in the season should probably carry more weight, since I'm sure they're better predictors of how that team will do in the tournament than early-season games when every single team is still trying to find its identity.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Absent a signature win against a legit ranked opponent, I don't see how we have much of a gripe. They have huge wins against the #1 and #2 teams in the country. We don't. If we could've closed the deal against Indiana or MSU that would've been the difference I think. Since we couldn't, and our pathetic OOC schedule, I don't think we have much to complain about. If we can beat NW and then MSU in the BTT, we'll be legitimately on the bubble. If we win the BTT, we're in. Not likely though.

Good post, Iowa needs a signature win and they can only get one if they win a minimum of two in the conference tournament. That would legitimately give them a shot. Beating Northwestern is a requirement to get to the game that gives them a chance, but it alone won't do it if the Hawks go on to lose their 2nd conference tourney matchup.

D

DistrictCyclone

I feel your pain. It's got to suck knowing that you're a good enough team to compete in the tournament but don't have the "resume" to plead your case.

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
Iowa can also blame their "No Courage" policy when it comes to their non-conference scheduling. They have been toting the fact that they are in the toughest conference before the season ever took off, I see it as Iowa thought because of their tough conference they could just limp along and play sisters of the poor schools (minus their MANDATORY in state games) and try to get into the tournament that way.....it backfired on them, and now they want to gripe about it....

I think anyone with eyeballs can see that ISU would wipe the floor with Iowa at this point in the season, yes we were late bloomers, but the selection commitee has eyeballs and can see that Iowa is more inconsistant than the weather forcasters on TV.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Absent a signature win against a legit ranked opponent, I don't see how we have much of a gripe.

Edit, nevermind when you say "we" you are talking about the Hawkeyes.

How in the hell do you not consider Top 15 teams OSU and KSU legit ranked opponents? They are both excellent teams, seriously take a look at KSU's resume, huge wins and AT Hilton is their worst loss. Legit 3 seed, maybe 2 if they get hot in Big 12 tourney. OSU is legit 4 seed.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Iowa can also blame their "No Courage" policy when it comes to their non-conference scheduling. They have been toting the fact that they are in the toughest conference before the season ever took off, I see it as Iowa thought because of their tough conference they could just limp along and play sisters of the poor schools (minus their MANDATORY in state games) and try to get into the tournament that way.....it backfired on them, and now they want to gripe about it....

I think anyone with eyeballs can see that ISU would wipe the floor with Iowa at this point in the season, yes we were late bloomers, but the selection commitee has eyeballs and can see that Iowa is more inconsistant than the weather forcasters on TV.

I agree they have no one to blame but themselves. Certainly even Hawk fans know that even though the B1G is tough this year, they had a very easy B1G schedule to counteract the conference strength.

I wouldn't say we would wipe the floor with them though. I do think we're playing better now, and we're a lot more confident than we were in December.

If we played in Hilton, we win. If we play in Carver, they probably win. If we played on a neutral court 5 times, I think we win 3 of them.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

True. But that was pretty much a key to us getting to 20 wins, sad as it sounds. There's a lot of youth on this team, the thinking might have been to get them easy W's to build confidence and chemistry. I'm not sure how many people at the beginning of the season actually counted the NCAA tourney as a realistic possibility. Now that it looks like it could have been, yes, that weak OOC sched will probably be a big part of the downfall.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Man does it ever chap KU fan's @$$ that the national media keeps bringing up that ISU beat them at Hilton. Weeks later and it's still popping up all over the place.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron