Play of the Game: Babb's Block

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
This isn't getting as much love as it should. The play of the game in my opinion was Babb's block of Harris' three point attempt with 40 seconds left in the second half.

West Virginia was on fire at that point and ISU hadn't made a field goal in something like two and a half minutes. The score was 78-72 when Harris fired the shot that Babb got a piece of. Clyburn got the board, was fouled, and knocked down 2 free throws to essentially put the game away.

Had Babb not been there, who knows what happens with that shot? Recent history of ISU suggests that Harris (a 37% 3-point shooter) hits the shot and our lead is cut to 3 with 0:40 left in the game. From there, we can only imagine what would have happened. Instead, it was a 5 point swing and the 8 point cushion held for the rest of the game.

HUGE shoutout to Babb for coming through big at a time where it mattered the most.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Great closeout by Babb. Much better than Tyrus fouling the three point shooter, swear he has one of those a game...

Jeffreyisu

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
You're right. That shot would have went right in if Babb hadn't got there. And no doubt the next 3 lob to tie it would have gone right in too. Just been that kind of a year. Thanks for breaking the curse, Babb!

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
You're right. That shot would have went right in if Babb hadn't got there. And no doubt the next 3 lob to tie it would have gone right in too. Just been that kind of a year. Thanks for breaking the curse, Babb!

Knowing us, that shot would have gone in, and WVU would have tossed a full-court heave at the buzzer while bumping into Ejim and drawing the foul. They would hit the shot for the game-winning 4 point play.

cyking

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Boone
No, the biggest play was the last second shot by Georges. That came at a critical time of the game.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
No, the biggest play was the last second shot by Georges. That came at a critical time of the game.

That one was also huge but I'm sticking with the Babb block pick. Potential 5 point swing.

tee1up

Dec 29, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
It's great there is a debate as to which play was the play of the game. I like getting Babb more involved. He is strong, I think he should have the ball a little more.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
He owed us one after the costly turnover on a bad pass to Cyburn at mid-court. That started the late Baylor surge.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It's great there is a debate as to which play was the play of the game. I like getting Babb more involved. He is strong, I think he should have the ball a little more.

He's just not all that assertive offensively. When he is, he's pretty successful.