Niang Technical/Flagrant Foul vs. OSU?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I didn't see it in a quick search...

First off I thought the technical/flagrant foul call on Niang versus OSU was a joke. A foul maybe but flagrant??? Clearly there was no intent (not to mention flopping) but maybe it is just how the rule is written and it is just a bad rule. Water under the bridge.

My question is why did Forte come in to shoot the 2 free throws when he wasn't even in the game when it happened? In my opinion the person that was fouled should have to shoot those shots.

Anybody out there with a decent explanation on this?

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
Discussed already but here are the cliff's notes:

1) Was a technical (not flagrant) foul, but it was dead ball situation (happened after the basket and during alternate possession) so the other team got two shots.

2) Technical allows other team to choose who they want to shoot it (and why not pick Keiton F'ing Page, Jr...)

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
So the player that shoots the foul shots doesn't even have to be on the floor when the technical occurs?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I believe OSU has a class called Flopping 101 and I can name several Okie Lite players who got A's in it

Reactions: JJ4ISU

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
The more I here about this the more confused I get. Wasn't half the reason ISU didn't shoot free throws down in Stillwater because the foul was considered to be not in play yet (ie a dead ball). The rule seems kinda vague.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The more I here about this the more confused I get. Wasn't half the reason ISU didn't shoot free throws down in Stillwater because the foul was considered to be not in play yet (ie a dead ball). The rule seems kinda vague.
We didn't shoot free throws because team possession wasn't established yet in Stillwater and it was just seen as a common foul. The referee deemed Niang's contact unnecessary and excessive and it can't be a flagrant because the ball is dead and is therefore a technical.

Reactions: Cydwinder

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
We didn't shoot free throws because team possession wasn't established yet in Stillwater and it was just seen as a common foul. The referee deemed Niang's contact unnecessary and excessive and it can't be a flagrant because the ball is dead and is therefore a technical.
Thanks for helping clear that up for me. I don't think Niang's contact was excessive at all, but I guess when Smart flops it looks worse than it was.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Thanks for helping clear that up for me. I don't think Niang's contact was excessive at all, but I guess when Smart flops it looks worse than it was.
Bingo. I'd dig up my posts about the actual rules applied to both cases but I'm too lazy.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
And in regards to the shooter, the rule book reads as though any player on the offended team can shoot them but ruxCYtable may correct me on this one. So far all the reference I see in the NCAA rulebook suggest any player on the offended team can shoot, not only players on the floor.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Funny how some ref's can call a foul that is rarely called but don't call a charging foul when it they call it all the time.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
For now on, after the other team makes a shot our entire 5 should stand together in the lane and try to draw technical fouls. JUST AN ABSURD CALL!

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
I believe OSU has a class called Flopping 101 and I can name several Okie Lite players who got A's in it

to be fair, nash's first 3 fouls were charges. not like osu was the only team out there flopping. virtually any time a charge is called there is some acting going on and isu is just as guilty as the next team.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I didn't see it in a quick search...

First off I thought the technical/flagrant foul call on Niang versus OSU was a joke. A foul maybe but flagrant??? Clearly there was no intent (not to mention flopping) but maybe it is just how the rule is written and it is just a bad rule. Water under the bridge.

My question is why did Forte come in to shoot the 2 free throws when he wasn't even in the game when it happened? In my opinion the person that was fouled should have to shoot those shots.

Anybody out there with a decent explanation on this?

i'm just glad the team didn't fold after that. that play resulted in a 4 point swing and got okie state right back into it. could have easily cost us the game and taken us out of the ncaa tourney.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
to be fair, nash's first 3 fouls were charges. not like osu was the only team out there flopping. virtually any time a charge is called there is some acting going on and isu is just as guilty as the next team.

Your profile pic fits you well. ;D

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I think Smart realized it was bs too, hence the grabby bottom exchange with Niang. With my old lady bifocals, if someone shorter than me cut right behind me when I was turning, I would bump into them, but if it was someone built like Smart I would probably be the one on the ground. Kind of reminds me of the flop that huge guy dropped on Scotty last year and Scotty was laughing at the ref about it.