Ref Tom O.Neill

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
During the big winter snowstorm a few weekends ago there was a Big East game on ESPN where due to travel difficulties they made a big deal about one of the officials reffing his 2nd game in one day. May have been the Louisville-Notre Dame game even.

Here's my thing; O'Neill has been officiating since 1996, according to the link. That's close to 20 years now. I'm sure his vision and reflexes have dulled in that time. Hell, look at Ed Hightower...that dude was officiating games when I was in high school. Back when they were younger these guys weren't all that good, and as they've gotten older they've only gotten worse. I cannot remember watching a game recently where even one of the three refs looked younger than 50.

How much money is the NCAA making from the tournament? Enough to devote a portion to create a nice salary and benefits package to recruit some new, younger officials who know what they're doing I would have to imagine. Maybe then we wouldn't have to put up with the rank incompetence we've been seeing forever and a day now.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
During the big winter snowstorm a few weekends ago there was a Big East game on ESPN where due to travel difficulties they made a big deal about one of the officials reffing his 2nd game in one day. May have been the Louisville-Notre Dame game even.

Here's my thing; O'Neill has been officiating since 1996, according to the link. That's close to 20 years now. I'm sure his vision and reflexes have dulled in that time. Hell, look at Ed Hightower...that dude was officiating games when I was in high school. Back when they were younger these guys weren't all that good, and as they've gotten older they've only gotten worse. I cannot remember watching a game recently where even one of the three refs looked younger than 50.

How much money is the NCAA making from the tournament? Enough to devote a portion to create a nice salary and benefits package to recruit some new, younger officials who know what they're doing I would have to imagine. Maybe then we wouldn't have to put up with the rank incompetence we've been seeing forever and a day now.
These guys are still doing them because they're well respected in the profession.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
These guys are still doing them because they're well respected in the profession.

What are we comparing them against? I don't know how officiating works at that level as far as the employment cycle. Do these guys pretty much have jobs as long as they want once they make it? It just seems like there's not much turnover.

broncocy5321

Dec 1, 2009
Clive
I understand these guys do a ton of games but when is too many! These athletes are bigger, stronger and faster each year. I think its time to add an official and get these calls correct. The ref that made the call on George couldn't even see his right arm on the reach. With 4 officials - the charge call may have been called. Also, officials are getting older - Hightower has been around for years. Higgins works every night. Time to give some other officials some chances and add 1 official. The game has past them!!!

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
What are we comparing them against? I don't know how officiating works at that level as far as the employment cycle. Do these guys pretty much have jobs as long as they want once they make it? It just seems like there's not much turnover.
Generally the Big 12 test drives referees in non-conference games and the conference games are contracted out before the season starts. They are reviewed every single game and at some point this week they'll have a conference call with the conference office and go through game tape.

Obviously the director of officiating is a little less biased than any of the fans of the schools. The officials will have to justify why calls were made/not made.

A client who officiates at the collegiate level told me it doesn't matter what city you're in, every game with fans in attendance think the officiating is terrible and that every call is wrong. He said the biggest thing the conference looks for is consistency (which for the most part was good tonight...there were missed calls both for and against us...people just casually forgot the head scratchers which went in our favor).

Unfortunately there is no perfect science to this at any level. The best you can do is try to get 3 guys who call similar games. You don't want a whistle happy clown with a guy who will let players play. There are going to be questionable fouls both ways and there isn't anything you can do to prevent that. Based on a couple clinics I've gone to, I'm not sure 4 referees actually helps. It makes it a bigger mess in a lot of ways.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The refs have been really out of sync in league play. They need to up their game like the players do.

Brian

Apr 11, 2006
I guess he can add to his list of milestone victory games worked... bothers me they even keep track.

[h=1]http://www.niuhuskies.com/blog/2012/08/niu-hall-of-famer-tom-oneill-n.html[/h]

Cysmik

Feb 25, 2012
I'm interested to hear what Jim Brinson has to say on KXNO tomorrow night. Today they got on the subject while talking with John Walters before the game and Brinson was saying how he knows this guy so well and he's a great ref. Should be interesting. If he knows him so well, maybe he'll come on for an interview.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I'm interested to hear what Jim Brinson has to say on KXNO tomorrow night. Today they got on the subject while talking with John Walters before the game and Brinson was saying how he knows this guy so well and he's a great ref. Should be interesting. If he knows him so well, maybe he'll come on for an interview.

He is probably holed out in an Ames motel hoping tomorrow will come soon.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Generally the Big 12 test drives referees in non-conference games and the conference games are contracted out before the season starts. They are reviewed every single game and at some point this week they'll have a conference call with the conference office and go through game tape.

Obviously the director of officiating is a little less biased than any of the fans of the schools. The officials will have to justify why calls were made/not made.

A client who officiates at the collegiate level told me it doesn't matter what city you're in, every game with fans in attendance think the officiating is terrible and that every call is wrong. He said the biggest thing the conference looks for is consistency (which for the most part was good tonight...there were missed calls both for and against us...people just casually forgot the head scratchers which went in our favor).

Unfortunately there is no perfect science to this at any level. The best you can do is try to get 3 guys who call similar games. You don't want a whistle happy clown with a guy who will let players play. There are going to be questionable fouls both ways and there isn't anything you can do to prevent that. Based on a couple clinics I've gone to, I'm not sure 4 referees actually helps. It makes it a bigger mess in a lot of ways.

Honest question here, and I'm asking you directly since by your posts in this thread you seem to know more about the inner workings of the profession than the average fan, but how much of it really just boils down to a "Good Ol' Boy" network, where these guys who are clearly past their prime get protected by their peers?