Fred vs Fran.....any question

Cyclone27inQC

Jun 16, 2010
Quad Cities
OMG...CFH sure gets the most out of his players and peaks at the right time of the year. It will great going dancing again this year so just need to finish off the rest of the conference games with a bang.

With all the quality players Fred is bringing next year sure looks like the fun will continue once he finds the right chemistry before conference play starts. ISU BB is so fun to watch and the crowds are awesome.

Lot's of free Hotdogs over at EICC the rest of the year after their latest melt down against lowly Kebraska.

Go Cyclones

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Fran seems to be a pretty decent coach too. They are young, and shown some glimpses. In a lot of ways they've been very similar to us on the road.

With that said, Fred is only in his 3rd year coaching so I would say his upside is quite a little higher.

I think next year they will start to win some of these close ones. The only pitfall is that their schedule will probably become much more difficult in the next couple of seasons, after two favorable B1G schedules this year and last.

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
There really is no comparison between ISU and iowa. CFH and the Cyclones are on a different level winning wise and recruiting wise.

Last edited:

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I will say this....
Iowa still has a shot at the tourney this year. Even if they don't make it they will probably be a really good team the next 2-3 years minimum. They have players. They are really young right now.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I will say this....
Iowa still has a shot at the tourney this year. Even if they don't make it they will probably be a really good team the next 2-3 years minimum. They have players. They are really young right now.

Every team in the nation still has a shot at the tourney this year... as long as they win their conference tournament. Iowa's chance at an at-large bid hangs on winning out and losing the conference championship.

cyspy

Jul 24, 2011
Iowa needs to win the Big 10 tourney to get in,mainly due to the fact that their non conference SOS is #325.

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
Every team in the nation still has a shot at the tourney this year... as long as they win their conference tournament. Iowa's chance at an at-large bid hangs on winning out and losing the conference championship.

This.

But who cares, both guys went about it different ways. Us with high level D1 tranfers and them trying to build from the ground up. Bump this thread in 3 years to know for sure.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
This.

But who cares, both guys went about it different ways. Us with high level D1 tranfers and them trying to build from the ground up. Bump this thread in 3 years to know for sure.

True, but that's what Jon Miller said on HN 3 years ago. I think it was something to the effect of "We'll see who is better in 3 years. One team will most likely be coming off a sweet 16 appearance while the other is being investigated for illegal recruiting".

One of my all-time favorite butthurt posts from him.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Why do some ISU fans still feel that Hoiberg needs to be validated compared to Iowa? Is it because he lost to Fran this year? It just isn't necessary. Who cares.

I don't get it. The hires stand by themselves. It doesn't make any sense. ISU wasn't trying to hire McCaffery and Iowa wasn't trying to hire Hoiberg.

Last edited:

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
True, but that's what Jon Miller said on HN 3 years ago. I think it was something to the effect of "We'll see who is better in 3 years. One team will most likely be coming off a sweet 16 appearance while the other is being investigated for illegal recruiting".

One of my all-time favorite butthurt posts from him.

Are you ******* serious? Did he really say that?

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota

I used to be OK with Jon. Running a message board is hard stuff I'm sure.

Hooooooooowever. He continuously rules with the most ridiculous double standards, says one thing and does another, and has no control/consistency over his site.

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
Yeah, that's really not the case.

I'm glad you are happy with the enraged idiot you have. We will continue to enjoy NCAA tournaments. Glad you are happy with whatever is going on over in Iowa City.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Fran seems to be a pretty decent coach too. They are young, and shown some glimpses. In a lot of ways they've been very similar to us on the road.

With that said, Fred is only in his 3rd year coaching so I would say his upside is quite a little higher.

I think next year they will start to win some of these close ones. The only pitfall is that their schedule will probably become much more difficult in the next couple of seasons, after two favorable B1G schedules this year and last.

I agree with basically all of this, but "quite a little higher"? Lol is that a thing?

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by JonDMiller

In three years we will begin to be able to start realistically.answering this question

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Cydkar

What if one of them goes to the NCAAs next year?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by JonDMiller

Then what if in year three one of them doesnt and one of them goes to the Sweet 16, and the one that doesn't gets busted for illegal recruiting practices, etc.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
How much longer does Fran have? I think he's a good coach but at some point he has to make the tournament, right? I think next year he'll have his best team there but if they don't make the tournament, I think things could get a little dicey for him.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron