Melvin has ridiculous hops

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
His head was at rim-level on his dunk after the inbound steal. He dunks with as much ferocity as anyone in college basketball. We've had some high-flyers, but he has to be in the discussion. I really enjoy watching that guy play. MVP if I had a vote.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
It's become really clear that he is the MVP of this team. So exciting that he gets another year after this one, too.

tccoach

Apr 22, 2006
Iowa
He is a great all around player, I thought he handled the foul calls and physical play amazingly well today. His play reminds of me of one of my Cyclone favorites Jeff Grayer... has a knack for being in the right place and finishing plays.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
The thing that's the most exciting about Melvin is his progression each year. He will have a chance to have a very special season next year.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
It's become really clear that he is the MVP of this team. So exciting that he gets another year after this one, too.

Exactly! I mentioned this in the post game thread too, but getting him and Niang back is HUGE! I can only imagine that those two will have special seasons next year. Niang will be the best soph in the conference. Just hoping Morris, Thomas, Hogue, and one of the juco bigs can pick up the rest of the slack!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Nothing against him, because I think he was a great Cyclone, but Melvin is a really good Rashon Clark.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Today was a game that exemplifies what is so great about Melvin. Not knocking him but he didn't have his best game today, he sat with some foul trouble, missed a couple jumpers, other than the dunk not a whole lot stood out. But at the end of the day he had another double/double. He just has a way of making an impact, he's always that steady influence. It might seem like a quiet day but then you look and he has 13 rebounds. You also just have to love that he is constantly improving his game, he and Georges are going to be a great 1-2 punch next year. He'll be a great guy for the youngters we have coming in next year to watch and learn from.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
I really think if we finish this year well and play great next year, Ejim will find his name up in the Hilton rafters

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I think his athleticism/vertical is underestimated quite a bit, it combined with his physicality are what make him such a great rebounder imo.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I really think if we finish this year well and play great next year, Ejim will find his name up in the Hilton rafters

It is possible, would definitely be deserving as by all accounts he is a great student athlete both in the class room and on the court.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think Ejim might be one of the greats, though my memory is limited to 90's and 00's.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It is possible, would definitely be deserving as by all accounts he is a great student athlete both in the class room and on the court.

I've heard from a bunch of professors who have had Melvin as a student. None of them has ever been anything less than glowing. He's usually known as the best student in his class.
It's not unusual, even for the profs who really like basketball, to hear them wish he didn't have the ability he has for basketball, because they think he would be a fantastic grad student and professor someday.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
I really thought he would take a step back this year with Royce leaving, but he has really stepped it up this year. I'm glad we'll have his leadership with a young team next year.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
He is a great role model for this team. Good student, great player and as far as I know he stays out of trouble. Those are the type of players you build around and who are great ambassadors for ISU!

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Didn't he make some special academic list? Some sort of honors. He's not rhashon athletically, but he is doing what he did his junior/senior years, but much better. Rhashon could probably out jump him by half a foot, but both very valuable players, the glue to their respected teams.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Didn't he make some special academic list? Some sort of honors. He's not rhashon athletically, but he is doing what he did his junior/senior years, but much better. Rhashon could probably out jump him by half a foot, but both very valuable players, the glue to their respected teams.

He made some academic fraternity which was a huge deal. He was also a District Academic All-American.

However, Mike Green (I think he's the SID for basketball) tweeted earlier this week that he had to tell Melvin he didn't make Acadmic All-American. That's too bad because I highly doubt there are that many more players with that type of GPA who is also a a really, really good basketball player.

It's easy to overlook Melvin, but he'll be a guy in a couple of years who we will REALLY miss watching. He's awfully good and if he was wearing a Kanas uniform, he'd be first team all Big 12.