Does BWW in Ames have ESPNU?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
I know that I could call them, but I'm in class right now and wondered if anyone knew?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I would LOL if they didnt. That being said, every BWW I have been to has DirecTV, and DirecTV offers ESPNU in their basic package.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Well a couple buddies and I were planning on going to Texas Roadhouse, but they don't carry it.

I guess strange things can happen. Outback Steakhouse in Wheaton, IL didn't have BTN (which I found out the night of the Iowa game). I can forgive a "steakhouse" (quotes because Outback has gone waaaaaaaaay down the last few years) for not having an essential sports channel, but there is no way in Hell that a BW3 can't have ESPNU.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I would LOL if they didnt. That being said, every BWW I have been to has DirecTV, and DirecTV offers ESPNU in their basic package.

I would agree that every BWW I've been to has DirectTV, and if that is the case, they will for sure have ESPNU. Having pretty much everything is also what BWW prides themself in probably more than any other sports bar. Likely is a lot of the reason why they choose to use DirectTV as it is pretty much the best when it comes to having most everything when it comes to sports.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
FWIW, we have Directv and whatever package it is doesn't have ESPNU. That said, I guarantee BWW has it. It's a sports bar.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
FWIW, we have Directv and whatever package it is doesn't have ESPNU. That said, I guarantee BWW has it. It's a sports bar.

What Directv do you have? I have the Choice package which I believe is their lowest satellite package and I have it.

Edit: Nevermind I guess Entertainment package is the lowest.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
What Directv do you have? I have the Basic package which I believe is their lowest satellite package and I have it.

One nice thing that DirectTV has with ESPNU that I believe Dish or Mediacom don't, is that they have it in HD. I can see Mediacom shortcutting the HD for ESPNU, but I still can't believe Dish only offers it in SD.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
What Directv do you have? I have the Basic package which I believe is their lowest satellite package and I have it.
I'm not sure. I currently live w/ a buddy in his house and he takes care of the directv subscription. The channels got all screwed up a while back when he changed subscription plans. We also don't get Big 10 network.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I'm not sure. I currently live w/ a buddy in his house and he takes care of the directv subscription. The channels got all screwed up a while back when he changed subscription plans. We also don't get Big 10 network.

I just looked at DirectTV's website and technically, the lowest lowest package does NOT have ESPNU, which is called the Entertainment package. However, all the pacakages above that, which there are four of them, do have it and in HD for all. I also imagine that the majority of subscribers don't subscribe to their cheapest package, but rather have one of the middle tier ones. In fact, it only costs $5 more per month to upgrade from the lowest, which I consider well worth it.

I also think that if you are willing to fork over the premium dough for DirectTV, you might as well go somewhat all out, otherwise you are probably better off going a cheaper route altogether.

Last edited:

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
One nice thing that DirectTV has with ESPNU that I believe Dish or Mediacom don't, is that they have it in HD. I can see Mediacom shortcutting the HD for ESPNU, but I still can't believe Dish only offers it in SD.

I have been frustrated while watching games at home this year for this very reason. I like Dish overall, but no HD ESPNU is a downer.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I have been frustrated while watching games at home this year for this very reason. I like Dish overall, but no HD ESPNU is a downer.

Yeah, I figured that would be kind of a kick in the nuts, especially beings how the conference gets so many more ESPNU games under our new TV deal.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
The one in Iowa City does, which is where I will be watching the game, so I'm guessing the one Ames does as well.