Etiquette

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
Restroom at work has three urinals. The third one is a short one. If the first is occupied do you use the middle or the Shorty?

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Shorty. The awkwardness overrules the odds of a littler person needing the shorty in the 30 seconds it takes to take care of business.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Use the middle one and make and keep eye contact with the gentleman at urinal the first, how dare he put you in such a position?

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Depends. Nice dividers or just 3 urinals on the wall? If just 3 urinals on the wall, I'd take the shorty. With divider, I'd take the middle and not engage in any conversation.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Shorty. The awkwardness overrules the odds of a littler person needing the shorty in the 30 seconds it takes to take care of business.

I admittedly don't understand any of this, but what if Dude in urinal 1 gets done right as you walk in, you're already committed to #3, and someone else walks in? Do you worry that they're going to judge you for taking the urinal for little people?

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I admittedly don't understand any of this, but what if Dude in urinal 1 gets done right as you walk in, you're already committed to #3, and someone else walks in? Do you worry that they're going to judge you for taking the urinal for little people?

That's when you proclaim...Man, I love these low urinals! That water in the bottom is cold!

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
It doesn't bother me, tbh.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Depends. Nice dividers or just 3 urinals on the wall? If just 3 urinals on the wall, I'd take the shorty. With divider, I'd take the middle and not engage in any conversation.

I believe etiquette always says that conversation is not allowed until hands are being washed.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities

Angie, you got to think outside the box here. For most you would think the lower one would be for short people but you never know when Ron Jeremy or his like may show up. I think most guys would rather him be there as opposed to standing two feet away using the taller versions.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Angie, you got to think outside the box here. For most you would think the lower one would be for short people but you never know when Ron Jeremy or his like may show up. I think most guys would rather him be there as opposed to standing two feet away using the taller versions.

I'll be honest, I may not get the physics. I thought pointing down and working with gravity is a good thing here. If the urinal is too high, wouldn't it splash back at you?

Again, I don't really know how this all works. My dad and brother used to describe the "trough" urinal that they had at Jack Trice once upon a time, and I assumed guys stood on both sides of it peeing in the middle, and that sounded like an AWFUL idea.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
I'll be honest, I may not get the physics. I thought pointing down and working with gravity is a good thing here. If the urinal is too high, wouldn't it splash back at you?

Again, I don't really know how this all works. My dad and brother used to describe the "trough" urinal that they had at Jack Trice once upon a time, and I assumed guys stood on both sides of it peeing in the middle, and that sounded like an AWFUL idea.

The troughs were awesome, you could get lots more folks in and out quickly. Lots of looking straight ahead, nothing but business.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
bathroom etiquette doesn't discriminate along professional, social-economic lines.

Shared a bathroom with a nearby office of engineers and they are just as rude as anyone...blowing up stalls, not flushing, or not flushing twice when needed

they were f-ing gross

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Somewhat related....I toured the men's bb lockerroom at hilton and they have a very small urinal at the end of the row. I asked and they said it's an ADA thing.....I just think it's funny as it would probably be next to impossible for someone above 6'3" to use it with out looking odd.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron