How come nobody ever talks about Gary Thompson anymore?!?!?

D

DistrictCyclone

He was a great player for Iowa State...and an All-American! I'm a little disappointed that we don't constantly bring up his outstanding contributions to Iowa State basketball and give off the appearance that we dwell on the past. We should spend less time discussing the current basketball team and the very bright future ahead of us, and spend more time contemplating a player who last wore the Iowa State uniform over 50 years ago.

Also, back in my day, we called sandwiches "flat bready", and they cost four playing cards a bite.

(for those who didn't pick up on it, this is a parody of the Hornacek thread: http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/mens-basketball/164871-why-so-little-love-jeff.html)

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
I'm old and I don't even remember seeing "The Roland Rocket" play ball. Any film on the guy. Nothing on YouTube that I could find.

D

DistrictCyclone

I'm old and I don't even remember seeing "The Roland Rocket" play ball. Any film on the guy. Nothing on YouTube that I could find.

LOL. No film, but they did find a couple cave paintings of GT near Maquoketa.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Boom.

thompson-sullivan-510.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Gary Thompson was so good that while he played he was able to give sight to the blind. Unfortunately his pasty white skin, and there was a lot of it with the short shorts, blinded those who could see.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
He was a great player for Iowa State...and an All-American! I'm a little disappointed that we don't constantly bring up his outstanding contributions to Iowa State basketball and give off the appearance that we dwell on the past. We should spend less time discussing the current basketball team and the very bright future ahead of us, and spend more time contemplating a player who last wore the Iowa State uniform over 50 years ago.

Also, back in my day, we called sandwiches "flat bready", and they cost four playing cards a bite.

I think there probably just isn't much interest that far back. There was little tv coverage, and the jump shot, black athlete, and more athleticism was just starting to enter the game in the 50's. TV coverage really began in the 60's and the quality and popularity of college and the NBA jumped with it.
(for those who didn't pick up on it, this is a parody of the Hornacek thread: http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/mens-basketball/164871-why-so-little-love-jeff.html)

Karsten21

May 4, 2012
San Antonio, TX
GT has done so much for ISU it's unbelievable. Only if we had former student athletes do a quarter of what he does or has done, ISU would be a much better place than it already is.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
On the same topic, why does nobody talk about Waldo Wegner anymore.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I believe he also started on ISU's baseball team that made the College World Series.

Why don't we see any threads pertaining to ISU bringing back baseball?

Help Support Us

Become a patron