Where do we go with our last 3-4 Schollies?

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Everyone has been following the De-commits etc etc but we're sitting a week away from signing day with 3-4 schollies, what does everyone want to see and who????

Here's my stab at it, some names you will see you will know, others you will not know....

All the hoopla is over Justin Madison, i think he sounds like a very good player. However, rumor floating today is that the "U" offered today. If either ISU or Wake Forest has a prayer of retaining him, seems unlikely.

Jeff Badet - WR: he's no longer interested in ISU. He's leaning between Kentucky and now has received an offer to UCLA over the weekend with a friend that was visiting. I would consider him a UCLA lean now.

Dantwaun O'Neal - WR 6-3 192 from deland, fla. If you know Deland (S. Johnson) former high school, they run the ball a lot. he's got the ability, under the radar guy imo.

Darlen Williston - DE, rush end with offers from ISU, Rutgers, Cinci, and Mizzou...would be a very good edge rusher.

Casey Irish - Ath, 6-3 205, played 6 positions this season, great versatility. Would love to see this kid as another Jake Knott or possible even the hybrid - LB/S position. Big time hitter.

Colton Plante - LB, 6-2 221, Under the radar guy that his coach calls the toughest, hard nosed players in the state of florida....not sure about you, but i want those guys.

Davarez Bryant - DE, 6-4, 230, looks the part on the strong side. Quick, and could be a solid player - still have not offered.

Winston Chastang - DE, 6-3 225, needs to put on some size but has speed. another hard nosed football players, i love these type of kids because they always keep working to get better!

BJ Simpson - Ath, 6-1 185, not sure about you, but, that sounds like a great safety! Could develop into a stud as he has cover skills as a former DB.

Jerry Haymon - S (juco) need a good cover safety in this league thats willing to stick someone....ala Kenny vacarro from Texas.....

Malik Smith - DE, 6-2, 239, offered by Indiana, but, they're heavy at the position already. Athlete, had 80 yd td catch as a td...

Wayne Scott - OT, 6-4, 305, offers from a few lower programs, many projecting his natural position may be DT....could be one of those guys you convert into a great DT rather then trying to recruit a great DT!

Nate Bryant - Ath, 6-0, 240, not sure what position he's projected at right now from the staff but we have offered.

Thens theres others like
Bobby Leath - DT
Trevon Young - LB
Keith Kelsey Jr - LB
Trevon Young - OL
Ted Meline - WR juco
Markeith Ambles - WR juco

Just a few - hundreds more, hope we fill those slots with good players and one of them will develop into a force in the big 12.

Reactions: Cyclonic1

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
All the hoopla is over Justin Madison, i think he sounds like a very good player. However, rumor floating today is that the "U" offered today. If either ISU or Wake Forest has a prayer of retaining him, seems unlikely.

Seemed to recall Miami playing before sparse crowds this past season (one game which had pictures of the stadium with less than half of it occupied). The opportunity to play in the Big XII and packed home games for Coach Rhoads and a rising program is a better sell than you are giving it credit for. If it were Alabama, Florida, or Oregon, then I may make a similar statement of having a slim chance.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Seemed to recall Miami playing before sparse crowds this past season (one game which had pictures of the stadium with less than half of it occupied). The opportunity to play in the Big XII and packed home games for Coach Rhoads and a rising program is a better sell than you are giving it credit for. If it were Alabama, Florida, or Oregon, then I may make a similar statement of having a slim chance.

Kids are leaving for TTU and Indiana. Lets not act like we are that big a draw...

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Kids are leaving for TTU and Indiana. Lets not act like we are that big a draw...

We got 1 from Missouri & 1 from Cincinnati before those. Players shifting happens, but just saying because the "U" showed an interest that we only had a prayer afterward is not an accurate way to think nowadays. Not saying we have surpassed Miami, but trend lines & conference affiliations would lead me to my initial point.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
I heard Jalen Barnes switched to a hometown school and then to a school in the middle of nowhere...

:jimlad:

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
I think we get 2-3 more and then coach rewards a walk on with a scholarship

Any word about our last weekend visitors? They had to have appreciated the BB game atmosphere.
I agree with the walk-on comment. I believe Arceo earned one last season and IMO he will be a star for us this season.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo

You may be right....but, thats like saying during the down years that Norte Dame wasn't still getting 4-5* kids because its norte dame...and i agree their recruiting this year is brutal...not sure why, but, its the worst its been in years. It used to be that if Miami offered you went, unless you were a FSU or Fla commit. But things are a changing for sure. But....

FYI last years recruiting class ended up being 33 players with more 5* and 4* then Iowa State has had in its history. Lets also look at the obvious, the kid is from Florida, and although you make a compelling argument with the whole big 12, packed houses and all...and i would agree i'm so stoked that we're filling our stadium, miami had a down year and averaged 7k less then us....Lets not forget, miami was on sanctions and that always leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths....they were 7-5, 2 of their 5 losses came against top 5 teams, and all 5 losses were to bowl eligible teams.

Not bashing, love me some ISU, but, if we start winning recruiting battles with the likes of Oklahoma (oops we already did) and especially Miami, i will assure you that our talent level will greatly increase....i mean seriously in their last recruiting class they had a total of 20 players ranked at their positions by rivals....we currently sit for 2013 with 2.

Hope we get him, i love athletic DE's never ever have too many....get a rotation that can keep everyone fresher is how you compete in the brutal conference schedules.

Good Luck CPR, go get him!!!!

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Heck I love ISU with all my heart but had I had an offer from Miami I would have been there without even thinking about it.