How does Niang compare to other top ISU freshmen?

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
Brackins averaged 11 and 5 his freshman year. Fizer put up 15 and 7. Those two might be ahead of him defensively at this point, but he's more diverse offensively. Any others?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
One of my favorite things about Ken Pomeroy's website is that it has player comparisons based on complex statistical data. George's two top comps right now are a freshman Chandler Parsons and a freshman Quincy Poindexter, both of whom are seeing some decent time in the NBA this year. I don't think Georges would translate to the NBA like those two, but those were both really good college players as well. George's top comp was Robbie Hummel for awhile, so he's in good company. Georges is ISU's only player to be compared to players of that level. It's impressive because I think the comparison options include every D1 player who's played significant time since 07 or so.

In an interesting side note, Korie Lucious top comp is 2013 Elijah Johnson from Kansas. Their numbers adjusted for possessions are very similar.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
He's going to be one of the best we've had, I think. At least from a scoring standpoint. Fizer was an absolute beast his junior year. Going to take a lot to top that.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Grayer
Fizer
Niang *
Hoiberg
Sullivan

* projected finish at the end of the 2013 campaign.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Some of the better Freshman seasons:

Ejim averaged 10.3 and 6.7.

Clark averaged about 7 points and 4 rebounds.

Stinson averaged 16 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists.

Blalock averaged 7.5 points and about 4 assists.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
As others have stated, Georges's game doesn't really translate well to the NBA so I think he will be around for all four years, which is awesome. He could be a great one.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I may be way off base here, but I think he compares well to Julius Michalik. He averaged 5.7 rebounds and 12.6 points as a freshmen. Similar to Niang in that he shot for a good percentage, could hit the 3 regularly, and was not all that powerfully built....espeicially as a freshman. I do think Julius was better defensively early in his career though.

I do think Niang has more upside than Julius had though.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
I disagree with many of you. I think Niang plays in the NBA after finishing his ISU career. I think his game will translate just fine.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I may be way off base here, but I think he compares well to Julius Michalik. .

I have been thinking Rancik, for similar reasons - can hit the three, can score inside but really likes to be outside more. Rancik (at least as I recall) was more comfortable and stronger inside than Julo. Sometimes I think Julo was a "2" trapped in a "5" body.

On a side note, sometimes when Georges spins and writhes his way to the hoop, reminds me of Kenny Pratt.

Georges is already decently tough; can't wait to see him when he is all grown up!

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I disagree with many of you. I think Niang plays in the NBA after finishing his ISU career. I think his game will translate just fine.

You may very well be right. There are plenty of guys there who I didn't think would make it.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
I love his game as a freshman. I can't wait to see what he can accomplish in his time here. Could very well go down as one of the greatest 4-year players in ISU history. Heck, this kid seems to have the basketball IQ and work ethic to potentially become one of the greatest players in ISU history for any amount of years. We're lucky to have him.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Its hard to compair him to others because each great Fresh had different talent around them and were asked to do different things.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron