Ordering Pizza and the Super Bowl

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I know there are so many other options, but I was asked to help plan for an event at someones home and they want pizza.

I'd like good suggestions for how to get around the fact that most people will be ordering pizza. Do I order it ahead, like this weekend? Get the fresh pizza and bake it there? What are your solutions and options?

I'm not sure on the types of pizza yet. At least one cheese and maybe on veggie.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
I love the take 'n bake style... would be my suggestion.

Usually can call ahead and say have them ready by __:__ AM and you're in and out

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't like Papa Murphys in general, but if you are gonna go the pizza route, I'd probably do that. Or make your own. Especially if you're trying to impress a lady :wink:

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
If you are ordering over 5 pizzas, call the day before and tell them the time you will be picking them up. If you are ordering less, call a couple of hours before picking them up.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I see you're in Ames but a sneaky play would be to grab pizza from somewhere that isn't a pizza place. For example in Des Moines Centro would be a good place to get some pizza on Super Bowl Sunday and they probably have cheese/veggie options that are different than your everyday cheese/veggie options.

JWIL4CY

Nov 17, 2010
Urbandale
I know there are so many other options, but I was asked to help plan for an event at someones home and they want pizza.

I'd like good suggestions for how to get around the fact that most people will be ordering pizza. Do I order it ahead, like this weekend? Get the fresh pizza and bake it there? What are your solutions and options?

I'm not sure on the types of pizza yet. At least one cheese and maybe on veggie.

Cheese and veggie pizzas? :no:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don't like Papa Murphys in general, but if you are gonna go the pizza route, I'd probably do that. Or make your own. Especially if you're trying to impress a lady :wink:

Unless there has been a drastic change in something, I doubt that's the case.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
How many people ? Will there be any children ?
Why not just make your own? Make dough ahead of time and get different topping choices and then let people make their own.

Reactions: cyrevkah

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
With the number of pizza places in town, I think if you pick one (or have a couple in mind) and call ahead hopefully you would be okay. I guess I'm saying that because I haven't been to a Super Bowl party since 2003, maybe there are many more parties than I think. I know I've called ahead the day of an event at Great Plains and said I want this ready by this time. Good luck!

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
If you order from a traditional pizza place I would avoid ordering the same day if possible and/or delivery.

I do like Papa Murphys because their pizzas are pretty thick and think a pretty good value. I usually stick to the stuffed pizza and I really like the smore pizza.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I don't love Papa Murphy's pizzas personally, but it's probably a good pick. If you want to get a traditional type, I'd try and go an off-the-beaten-path choice, like that new pizza place over by West Towne Pub, or the joint in Perfect Games, or something like that. EVERYONE will do Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Jeff's, or Dominos. With their "fresh to go" or whatever it's called, I'd bet Little Caesar's is also hard to get that day.

Another choice may be the Godfathers in that sorta-sketchy gas station. I bet people forget about them.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Buy pre-made crusts, 1 lb bag of whatever cheese you want, veggies, Garlic Powder, oregano and Pizza Sauce. On the crusts use a paper towel and some olive oil brush the oil on lightly, then put a little garlic powder, sauce 1/2 of the can should be sufficient, a little oregano (by little I mean just a couple of pinches, a little goes along way), any ingredients you want. around 8 oz of cheese. Bake per the instructions on the crusts package. I generally bake it then turn the brioler on for a minute or two to brown the cheese the way I like it. If you do this you have to watch it close, or will burn it.

It will take you less time and stress to do this than it will to be ordering pizza on Superbowl Sunday.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA

Only if I am trying to impress the hostess...but she asked me to arrange it, so I don't think I need to impress her.