Good story on Coach Otz and Alison Lacey

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Good story and judging from the pic, I'd say TJ is 'trading up'...

Just curious though, the way the story reads - did she date Brackins in college??

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN

Just curious though, the way the story reads - did she date Brackins in college??

I didn't really understand why he was included in the story. It seemed like they were looking for any link they could find to connect them.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.

I didn't really understand why he was included in the story. It seemed like they were looking for any link they could find to connect them.

I think Craig was just someone who knew both of them and helped make the connection. Didn't Brackins date Bolte for a time in college?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah, but this line had me wondering: "They didn’t speak, however, until Lacey said goodbye to Brackins."

Maybe they were trying to make it REALLY clear that they didn't date until she was finished at Iowa State.

There have been some interesting Iowa State WBB relationships :)

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Maybe they were trying to make it REALLY clear that they didn't date until she was finished at Iowa State.

...then don't you think it would make more sense if the writer phrased it: "they didn't speak until she finished at Iowa State" ? dooh

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010

My thoughts exactly. "We gotta try to misdirect the readers so they don't think a 30-some year old coach isn't creeping on students."

Age is no thing, but technically he is an employee and if she were a student this wouldn't be any different than a Chemistry prof strikignitnup with a student in Gilman hall they've seen throughout the semester.

Last edited:

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I don't know all the stories, but there have been a couple players that have gotten close to coaches/staff, correct?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
My thoughts exactly. "We gotta try to misdirect the readers so they don't think a 30-some year old coach isn't creeping on students."

Age is no thing, but technically he is an employee and if she were a student this wouldn't be any different than a Chemistry prof strikignitnup with a student in Gilman hall they've seen throughout the semester.

Except for he really has nothing to do with her classes or basketball. I don't see any real issue even if they had started dating when she was playing. It's not like he was 50. He's 35 now so there's only about a 10 year difference or so. To me, once you hit 21 or 22, the age thing is almost irrelevant.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Except for he really has nothing to do with her classes or basketball. I don't see any real issue even if they had started dating when she was playing. It's not like he was 50. He's 35 now so there's only about a 10 year difference or so. To me, once you hit 21 or 22, the age thing is almost irrelevant.
Cut off = (age/2) + 7

He is cutting it close.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007

“I saw women’s games when she played in college, but it wasn’t like I was watching her play,â€￾ Otzelberger said. “I don’t even remember her as a player in college.â€￾ :skeptical:

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010

Oh, I agree...age is no thing. Just have to be careful about perceptions and realities. Any coach out at the complex could be considered an authority, etc. I work at the university and if a graduating senior said to their family, "there's this guy that works on campus who texted me...I don't know him very well, but my pal Craig days he's cool" and the university was made aware, there could be follow up....and I don't make a quarter million a year. Not trying to argue, just my understanding of policy an perception.

Believe me, I'm happy for him.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Oh, I agree...age is no thing. Just have to be careful about perceptions and realities. Any coach out at the complex could be considered an authority, etc. I work at the university and if a graduating senior said to their family, "there's this guy that works on campus who texted me...I don't know him very well, but my pal Craig days he's cool" and the university was made aware, there could be follow up....and I don't make a quarter million a year. Not trying to argue, just my understanding of policy an perception.

Believe me, I'm happy for him.

Huh. Didn't know that was policy. Obviously I could see if there was some sort of "exchange" going on between a professor and a student but if it were all honest I would disagree with that policy. It isn't high school.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Huh. Didn't know that was policy. Obviously I could see if there was some sort of "exchange" going on between a professor and a student but if it were all honest I would disagree with that policy. It isn't high school.

A lot of it is context....wanted vs unwanted, but also power/control. It could be assumed coaches are in charge at the facility...so, if a coach asked for your number, you'd give it because they are in a position of power.

Lets say a student trainer or student office assistant is out at the facility and a coach approaches them and is sociable beyond just office chatter...like, "can I get your number?" That puts that student in a position where they're feel they need to, even if they don't want to.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
A lot of it is context....wanted vs unwanted, but also power/control. It could be assumed coaches are in charge at the facility...so, if a coach asked for your number, you'd give it because they are in a position of power.

Lets say a student trainer or student office assistant is out at the facility and a coach approaches them and is sociable beyond just office chatter...like, "can I get your number?" That puts that student in a position where they're feel they need to, even if they don't want to.

I think the key here is not what role Brackins played in all of this or when they started dating. The key is that this could be a big part of why TJ has stayed here for the last couple of years. We've probably been working on borrowed time with him for a while and if it took a relationship to keep him around, then that is good for Iowa State :)

Help Support Us

Become a patron