Other coaches have us figured out?

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I am just a fan not an Xs and Os guy in basketball. (Just football) Did Huggins expose us, TCU and TTU just copy the game plan? Man, seems like three similar games in a row.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Teams haven't exposed us. We just haven't been making the threes. Last night we had just as many looks as we have had any other game. Plenty of three pointers that were bricked. Just had a bad night.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Teams know ISU likes to run, so they are going to try to stop that. Also, they know ISU is turn-over prone, so the longer they make us pass the ball around, the more chance we're gonna give it away. Also, not hitting the threes like normal really hurt.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I don't think so. ISU was crushing West Virginia until they shot 75% from 3 in the last 9 minutes.

TCU crashed the glass hard, but couldn't make a shot and ISU had their own offensive rebounds that game also (so at least we were trying).

Last night was all about the lazy play of our team (turning the ball over, taking bad shots, and getting killed on the glass).

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Teams that play physical defense are our weakness. So to answer your question, kinda, I guess.

Yes. And many will sacrifice quite a few fouls because it has been working. It just seems like when ISU players try to adapt to that style of play they get quick whistles. Other teams feel they can trade foul for foul in the post because they are deeper in the post.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
As others have said, play tough defense and our guys will get all melty. I've not seen much like it before.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I am just a fan not an Xs and Os guy in basketball. (Just football) Did Huggins expose us, TCU and TTU just copy the game plan? Man, seems like three similar games in a row.

Nope. Like others have said, we just haven't been hitting the threes as much. Granted the WVU is a weird game because we were blowing them out and they were hitting three after three, a few of them you couldn't guard better/were lucky. But when we aren't getting threes, especially from more than one or two players, teams can easily tighten things up in the post and that will hurt us big time.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Teams that play physical defense are our weakness.

Nope. Like others have said, we just haven't been hitting the threes as much.

These two things are not unrelated. Get on the shooters and chase them all over place. Frustrate them and wear them down, and then sag back into the post when they've lost their shooting strength. One can counteract this with a deep bench by keeping fresh shooters on the floor.

Unfortunately for ISU, since the post play isn't that strong, the defense doesn't have to back completely off the shooters to frustrate the post, and the bench doesn't seem that deep as far as shooters go...

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
They've started. As soon as Lucious leaves the floor they'll zone a little bit because we don't have a zone buster who can drive the seams and dish. They sent 3+ to the boards because they know our guards want to release for the break instead of securing the board first.

That and not having a guy on the block who demands a double team kinda hurts. Our post guys are really, really easy to defend.

Last edited:

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Our terrible play is not due to other teams figuring us out. Tech couldn't have played any crappier and we managed to surpass their level of crappy last night.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Our terrible play is not due to other teams figuring us out. Tech couldn't have played any crappier and we managed to surpass their level of crappy last night.

Not true. They played well defensively and that was enough. Part of their game plan was to hope that the refs wouldn't call their physical play in the post early and they got that too.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I would hope every team in conference has every other team figured out. Figuring it out doesn't mean you can stop what the other team is doing every night out.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We are soft, have no big men who want to get nasty. And we don't have a team leader. Its not rocket science to beating us. I think Scott Drew might even be able to figure that out.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Not true. They played well defensively and that was enough. Part of their game plan was to hope that the refs wouldn't call their physical play in the post early and they got that too.
Not too hard to defend us when we are that sloppy, unmotivated, and undisciplined on offense.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I don't think so. ISU was crushing West Virginia until they shot 75% from 3 in the last 9 minutes.

TCU crashed the glass hard, but couldn't make a shot and ISU had their own offensive rebounds that game also (so at least we were trying).

Last night was all about the lazy play of our team (turning the ball over, taking bad shots, and getting killed on the glass).

We weren't sharp last night and not hitting our 3's, but I wouldn't call it lazy play. We had 11 turnovers to their 15, and we're just going to have to accept that we're likely going to get outrebounded in most big 12 games. Our tallest starter is 6-7 and we're getting nothing out of the guys we were relying on for an inside presence this year. Booker wants to play outside and has been playing poorly, and Gibson has lost the speed and touch he had last year, maybe from the added weight. If we hit a few more 3's last night as we usually do, we win and posters are talking about our good defense, low turnovers, and another gritty road win. Unfortunately we are getting no post play, especially when Niang gets in foul trouble as has happened lately, and we're going to live and die with the 3. Teams are starting to figure that out and I'm hoping Gibson can at least get back to the level he was playing at last year.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I don't think coaches have figured anything out really. One of the nice things about Fred's offense is that it is adaptable to adjustments in the defense as long as the basic rules of it are followed.

I think the biggest problems since conference started are the lack of rebounding, the interior defense, and the lack of offensive spacing and ball movement. In the non-conference games, ISU established itself as one of the better rebounding teams in the country. Even in their non-conference losses, ISU either won the rebounding battle, or kept it very close. That has not been the case in the conference games. In the 5 games, ISU has won the rebounding once (TCU), tied once (Texas) and lost the other three. In particular, they seem to give up a lot of offensive rebounds and second opportunities which can cause problems.

The interior defense has not been strong in conference. It seems ISU cannot defend on the inside without fouling, which as we saw last night can lead to personnel problems. I think every college team needs one good shot blocker, if at all possible. I'm not sure ISU has had one since Cato was here.

Finally, ISU was one of the highest scoring teams in the country in the non-conference. That was done with excellent spacing and rapid ball movement which resulted often in good open looks. Teamwork. You can see it by watching, but you can also see it in the stats by the number of assists compared to the number of made baskets. Our of conference, the percentage of made baskets which had an assist was very high. During conference...it is not very good. It seems like ISU is reverting back to the individual play in conference, and that just is not going to win many games.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
With the way we played on Wednesday I have to think the crowd or lack there of had some effect on how they played. We've seen this for years now that when we play in 3/4 empty arenas, the effort just isn't there. I don't know if our guys have gotten used to Hilton and feeding of the energy of the fans, but this is nothing new.

So if by figuring us out by clearing out their arenas then yes the lower ranked teams have figured us out.

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
Ya...I think its much simpler and just comes down to the fact that Lucious and Clyburn are not intellegent players. Therefore they better be giving 100% b/c when they are not the team sucks.

Some teams are OK at 80%. ISU is not one of them. We're a good team when we play hard. When the team goes hard you get very good D as well as fast break points and offensive rebounds to go with the threes. When the team isn't playing hard you get jacked 3s and nothing else.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
With the way we played on Wednesday I have to think the crowd or lack there of had some effect on how they played. We've seen this for years now that when we play in 3/4 empty arenas, the effort just isn't there. I don't know if our guys have gotten used to Hilton and feeding of the energy of the fans, but this is nothing new.

So if by figuring us out by clearing out their arenas then yes the lower ranked teams have figured us out.

I asked Coach Rutter once how tough it was to play at the Phog. He said it wasn't the toughest in the conference. The toughest place to play (at least back then) was Colorado because NOBODY showed up at the games. It was hard to get any emotion or energy going. Loud, full arenas - regardless of whether they are for you or against - are easier to get jacked up.

Judging from our play these past two games, I wonder if there isn't something to it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron